It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
(female)

sevennyc HB User
Chantix and alcohol

I've been on Chantix for 2 weeks now, and it has made quitting easier than I ever imagined. Does it also block the absorbtion of alcohol as well because I had 3 margaritas last night and was stone-sober. If anyone else has experienced this, please let me know. If Chantix blocks these chemicals in the brain, I wonder why they haven't marketed this to alcoholics.

Thanks for your insite.

Seven

Last edited by sevennyc; 04-02-2007 at 02:36 PM.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
(female)

Trish M&M HB User
Re: Chantix and alcohol

Hi Seven: Chantix has worked great for me, too. Not like anything I've ever tried before. On Wednesday (4/4/07), I'm going into my final month of the rx. Never felt better in my life. As to your question about alcohol, I can't answer...not much of a drinker. However, I've sure had the same thought about it being used as an appetite suppressant, 'cause it's sure decreased my appetite (this is a good thing!) and I've lost 5 lbs. since being on the med.

Congratulations on your quit!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi sevennyc,
I don't know either. But some on this board think it may block also caffeine.
I've wondered if they can do this with nicotine, why can't they come up with something for drug abusers. Nicotine is a drug, right?
I remember when I had been quit one month, I went out to celebrate that fact. I had two beers and remember feeling no effect from them. But I also had a meal of rib eye steak, baked potato, and salad. So I just attributed it to the fact that I ate a lot!!
Interesting question, though.

Memaw

Old 04-03-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
(male)

DeadFish HB User

I think we are still in the 'discovery' phase of what this kind of drug can do.
I've wondered all sorts of things about how the brain is affected, and I don't know if we even yet have an accurate model of what is going on.
In another thread, a few of us noted that things we enjoyed weren't getting enjoyed anymore. Memaw and reading, Kevin and woodworking, me and a lot of things. My hi-fi hobby has tortured me as I still like music, but nothing sounds as good as I remember it.
I think perhaps that this drug interferes with some of the inputs to the pleasure reflex and it may pan out that it has all sorts of possibilities for any substance abuse issue.
I drank some 'Jack' one night with my wife and don't remember a sense of 'buzz' much to it, but was surprised to see how much of the bottle was gone in the morning.
ON the other hand, as when I have been on other medications and drank, I didn't notice much effect, but my wife was happy to regurgitate the next morning what I apparently missed, and sometimes I missed a lot!
Definitely ask others how it was working for you.
Personally, I've found little pleasure when I've had a few drinks on this stuff.
Your mileage may vary though...
Above all, *be careful* when mixing meds and alcohol!!

Kind regards,
DeadFish

Old 04-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadFish View Post
I think we are still in the 'discovery' phase of what this kind of drug can do.
I've wondered all sorts of things about how the brain is affected, and I don't know if we even yet have an accurate model of what is going on.
In another thread, a few of us noted that things we enjoyed weren't getting enjoyed anymore. Memaw and reading, Kevin and woodworking, me and a lot of things. My hi-fi hobby has tortured me as I still like music, but nothing sounds as good as I remember it.
I think perhaps that this drug interferes with some of the inputs to the pleasure reflex and it may pan out that it has all sorts of possibilities for any substance abuse issue.
I drank some 'Jack' one night with my wife and don't remember a sense of 'buzz' much to it, but was surprised to see how much of the bottle was gone in the morning.
ON the other hand, as when I have been on other medications and drank, I didn't notice much effect, but my wife was happy to regurgitate the next morning what I apparently missed, and sometimes I missed a lot!
Definitely ask others how it was working for you.
Personally, I've found little pleasure when I've had a few drinks on this stuff.
Your mileage may vary though...
Above all, *be careful* when mixing meds and alcohol!!

Kind regards,
DeadFish
When you stop the Chantix you are certainly able to notice anew the effects of caffeine and alcohol. It is definitely worth being prepared for when the time comes.

Last edited by True Brit; 04-03-2007 at 02:10 PM.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
(male)

DeadFish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Brit View Post
When you stop the Chantix you are certainly able to notice anew the effects of caffeine and alcohol. It is definitely worth being prepared for when the time comes.
Oboy! I can look forward to being a wide-awake drunk!!

Seriously though, it would be nice to have a 'little' of my enjoyment of coffee back. After a 'habit of 2 cups in the morning and 2 in the late afternoon, I'm down to part of a cup in the morning that I don't seem to want, once I drink half of it. I always liked the taste, even with sugar substitutes...
After giving sugar up in october, and then nicotine and then caffeine, I was beginning to forget who I used to be.
Glad to hear that this can come back.
Hopefully, my hifi will lose its fingernails-on-a-blackboard quality as well!

Regards,
DeadFish

Old 04-04-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User

Hi Fish, Like you I have lost my desire to drink coffee like I use to. Morning, noon, evening, etc... I did not even have a cup of coffee today. Three weeks ago that would have been unheard of. I prefer cold coffee drinks to hot ones now. I do not notice a caffeine buzz with coffee anymore. My taste is off now, and nothing tastes as it did prior to Chantix. I will tolerate it, a side effect I can live with.

Sapphire

Old 03-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #8
(female)

rave0039 HB User

I recently started taking chantix to quit smoking. I've been amazed the way it has virtually eliminated the physical cravings. Another big surprise to me has been it's effect on my drinking. I have been struggling with some very heavy drinking. I've realized that I'm not drinking the same way at all. I have a drink. Maybe 2. I don't want anymore. It seems enough - which it hasn't been for a long time. I'm not drinking to get drunk. I almost feel this must be what it's like to be a social drinker - someone who does drink, but doesn't have an alchohol problem.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

Congratulations on your quit rave!!
Keep up the good work. I was amazed with Chantix also. It worked for me.

nomoresmokin'
24 weeks, 16 hours, 56 minutes, 31 seconds

Old 03-04-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
(female)

rachaelmc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memaw649 View Post
Hi sevennyc,
I don't know either. But some on this board think it may block also caffeine.
I've wondered if they can do this with nicotine, why can't they come up with something for drug abusers. Nicotine is a drug, right?
I remember when I had been quit one month, I went out to celebrate that fact. I had two beers and remember feeling no effect from them. But I also had a meal of rib eye steak, baked potato, and salad. So I just attributed it to the fact that I ate a lot!!
Interesting question, though.

Memaw
There is a drug out there called Suboxone (breprenorphine sp.?) that blocks the effects of herion and opiates in general. Similar to the way Chantix interferes with the dopamine levels produced by nicotine. My doc convinced me to try Chantix so I am starting it on Friday with a total quit date of 3/14. I've heard of herion/opiate addicts quitting w/Suboxone, so why wouldnt Chantrix help me w/quitting ciggies.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #11
(female)

laura f HB User

hello there, i am new on this board, i am on my 9th day of chantix and i want to know if anyone else is or has had severe bloating with this stuff. its really my only complaint besides im feeling really tired all of the time. but i am so bloated it is uncomfortable. let me know, and what kind of relief could i use?

Old 03-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #12
(female)

Gidget73 HB User

Hi Laura.
I am on day 15 of the pills, day 8 of the quit. I am doing great too. The bloating, I've read, is common. Some have lowered their dosage. I plan to in another week, currently I'm taking as directed. The tired has finally gotten better. Mornings are still a little tough, but I am SO much better this week than a week ago!
Good luck...

Old 05-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #13
(female)

angora HB User

I am on the 4th week of Chantix. It does seem to flatten the response to
alcohol, or actually, to anything that normally gives me pleasure. I think
they could do research with it, in the treatment of alcoholism,for alcohol
seems to not have any "kick" to it, just as nicotine doesn't seem to have
any satisfying effect either. I'm finishing day 3 with no cigarettes at all, having
gradually cut down over the last month. Other than feeling achy and a bit
sad and cranky, I am doing fine. Ibuprofen seems to help the achy feeling subside. Chantix Rocks!

Old 05-20-2008, 03:19 AM   #14
(male)

SnoboarderTPOH HB User

Hello. I started taking Chantix yesterday. I am a 22 year old college student. Well.. I am amazed at Chantix. I am pretty shocked as I am typing this because Chantix does indeed block any "fun" effects of alcohol.

I went out to a party last night and pretty much killed an entire fifth of Captain Morgan Rum. I didn't even get buzzed. I drove home fine. I remember thinking to myself that something was wrong because I should have been wasted. During the night I remember noticing , when I was about half way through the Fifth that I wasn't getting a buzz... so I kept drinking, chalking it up to the adrenaline of the killer party I was at.

As far as smoking goes, Chantix is a LIFE SAVER. I was 2 days into Cold Turkey when I started taking it (Yesterday)

Old 06-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #15
(female)

akazie HB User

Champix makes me sick when I drink beer (I'm a beer drinker). I might try some more beer in a day or two and see if it happens again. Did it make anyone else sick when they had alcohol on here?

----------------------------------
Free and Healing for Four Days, 1 Hour and 39 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 13 Hours, by avoiding the use of 163 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $70.33.

Last edited by akazie; 06-08-2008 at 02:40 PM.

Closed Thread