It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2007, 12:17 AM   #1
(female)

FLOYD03 HB User
Unhappy Now What! I Failed

Hi all

This is my first time posting and I hope you can be of help to me. I have been using the patch and completed the first step and went on to the 2nd (14mg) and was doing "o.k." up until yesterday when I smoked. I WENT SO LONG and feel like a total failure. I want to "get back on the wagon" but I don't know what to do! I was so depressed on step 2 and was having a really hard time. Should I have waited a bit longer and continued on Step One for a bit longer? Honestly, I don't want to start over and want this just to be a "slip" but I need help!!!

Thank you for any help you could be to me.

K

Old 04-05-2007, 03:36 AM   #2
(female)

mangojunky HB User
Re: Now What! I Failed

Hi K,
Congrats on your decision to quit! Don't beat yourself up - lots of people slip up, but that doesn't mean they won't be successful. Were you on step one for a month? Reducing the level of nicotine is a change for your body. I would talk to your doctor or a pharmacist to see if maybe you should get some losenges, or gum to have handy. Think about all the reasons you decided to quit smoking and how well you have done. Figure out coping skills - what will you do the next time you want a cig? Start exercising. Indulge in small amounts of chocolate - these will help you feel better.
Take care and keep us posted,
deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOYD03 View Post

Hi all

This is my first time posting and I hope you can be of help to me. I have been using the patch and completed the first step and went on to the 2nd (14mg) and was doing "o.k." up until yesterday when I smoked. I WENT SO LONG and feel like a total failure. I want to "get back on the wagon" but I don't know what to do! I was so depressed on step 2 and was having a really hard time. Should I have waited a bit longer and continued on Step One for a bit longer? Honestly, I don't want to start over and want this just to be a "slip" but I need help!!!

Thank you for any help you could be to me.

K
don't feel bad. i went almost 5 months and slipped. had a lot of anxiety so i smoked for 2 months. then i stopped again. i used the patch for 6 months. my doc said he'd rather have me on the patch than smoking. so i have not smoked in 8 months and have been patch free for 2 months. go back on the highest patch if you have to. this has been my 4th attempt at quitting and so far the longest. don't quit quitting. God bless

Old 04-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
(female)

FLOYD03 HB User

Thank you for the replies guys!
I appreciate the help and support more then I can tell ya's!!!! I hope I can support others also as I get back to being a non smoker.
I was one step one for 6 weeks and was on my second week of step 2. My cat went missing last Friday and after a few days I just got so stressed that I smoked, stupid I know (and the poor fella is still missing and I am soooo sad about that).
I have painted half the rooms in the house in the past month!!! Guess I better do the rest of it ha!!!
I am going to start back on step one for a bit or however long it takes, your doctor is so right on that, heck, if it takes a bit longer big deal!
I had surgery on the roof of my mouth for tumors and it was pretty rough surgery but I recovered very well. My surgeon told me I had to quit and I did. I go back to him in a couple weeks and I don't want to go back smoking!!
I know I have to do this or I am going to be in bigger trouble.
Again, thank you soooo much for the support!

Old 04-05-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Good luck Floyd - you can do it. You already know you want to, you just have to get your mind ready for it. It's a big change in your life, but it's for the better. You just have to change those habits and get your mind motivated and it will happen for you. Sorry to hear about your mouth surgery - owwwiee!!

Old 04-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Floyd03,
Welcome to the message boards!! Glad to have you here.
Yeah, the higher dose for as long as you feel like you need it. You will know when you feel like you lower the dose.
Keep this in mind the next time something stressful comes up:
Smoking will not make the situation any better. It will not make you feel any better. The problem will be there whether you smoke or not.

You fell off that horse, now it's time to get right back on it. Don't stress out over that little slip. You recognized it and solved it. You deserve a pat on the back for that!!

Uh...you definately don't want to go back into the doctor with cigarette breath!! We used to think gum or mints would cover it up. Nope. Doesn't do it.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 04-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User
Cool Re: Now What! I Failed

Hi, Floyd!

I am happy to hear that your mouth surgery went well. I am sure it must have been quite an ordeal.

Also glad to hear that you are back on track. QUITTING smoking is one of the hardest things a person can do. Don't be too hard on yourself for a minor slip-up. You can do it.

Sorry to hear about your lost pet. Best wishes...

Sapphire

Old 04-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOYD03 View Post
I am going to start back on step one for a bit or however long it takes, your doctor is so right on that, heck, if it takes a bit longer big deal!
Exactly! Stay on the patch as long as you need to! FLOYD03, congrats on quitting... even if you have a slip, just get back on the quitter's wagon!! I still carry a few 14mg and 7mg patches with me and I came off of them approx. Sept 2006.

Closed Thread