It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2007, 04:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

captnanny HB User
wanted to quit badly, now have to and don't want to as much

Hi,
I am new to this board, but not the site. I have neck problems, severe and am having surgery april 13th. One of the important steps for the fusion to happen is no smoking. NOW< PRIOR to knowing this I wanted to quit real bad. Figured out I smoke for stress relief. The pain is tremendous, so what do i do? SMOKE how stupid
I need support, I know my mind is playing games and I want to rebel by smoking dthis is so weird. I really need help with this. MY friend who will be with me after surgery quit on ash wednesday she is going to put the patch on as soon as I do my first walk in the hospital.
Please help,
I don't do well with lectures.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
(female)

Skimmer HB User
Re: wanted to quit badly, now have to and don't want to as much

Captnanny - Sara's right - there are no lectures here, just tons of much needed support. You have to want to quit more than anything for this to really work. It's good that your friend quit too - it's easier when someone else is going thru the same horrible withdrawals as yourself. I wish you luck on your neck surgery and with your quit - it's the best you can do for yourself, with life long benefits.......

Congrats Sara on your 2 weeks!! I can't believe it's been that long already! See how time flies? How are you doing in your quit? Feeling great? Breathing better. It's amazing isn't it - what a difference it makes!! I'm so glad I decided to quit!!

Tomorrow will be 6 weeks for me!!! I can't even believe that!!!
5 weeks, 6 days, 3 hours, 41 minutes, 53 seconds

Last edited by Skimmer; 04-05-2007 at 07:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User
Smile Re: wanted to quit badly, now have to and don't want to as much

SARA SKIMMER
CONGRATULATIONS

SARA YOU WILL CATCH UP WITH SKIMMER REAL SOON AND I AM RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

No lectures for anyone, you never did mention if you decided to QUIT or not.
For me it was a personal decision and no one could lecture me or nag me into quitting. It is your decision and yours alone. If you decide to QUIT all we can do is offer you support and a shoulder to cry on. No one in here is judgmental. Let us know of your decision.

Best wishes,

Sapphire

Old 04-05-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User

Ditto Sara

Old 04-05-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnanny View Post
Hi,
I am new to this board, but not the site. I have neck problems, severe and am having surgery april 13th. One of the important steps for the fusion to happen is no smoking. NOW< PRIOR to knowing this I wanted to quit real bad. Figured out I smoke for stress relief. The pain is tremendous, so what do i do? SMOKE how stupid
I need support, I know my mind is playing games and I want to rebel by smoking dthis is so weird. I really need help with this. MY friend who will be with me after surgery quit on ash wednesday she is going to put the patch on as soon as I do my first walk in the hospital.
Please help,
I don't do well with lectures.
Hi captnanny!!
Welcome to our site on the message board!! The reason we are all here is to support one another, not judge each other. We just don't do that.
You know why you need to quit. Now how can we help you do that?

Here are a few tips that may help:
Look at quitting cigarettes as giving yourself a gift - a very big gift.
You will have given yourself what no one else could give you. You will no longer have the pressure of being a smoker.
Have something handy to put in your mouth. Life Savers, sugarless gum, lollipops, etc. Experiment while you are still smoking to see what will relieve the craving. If Life Savers work, then stock up.
If you always have a cigarette with a cup of coffee, stop drinking coffee before you quit smoking. Try tea or coke.
Tell yourself "I can do it", "Smoking is not an option", "Smoking will not solve the problem"
Think of the reasons you want to quit.
Think about what smoking does to your health.
Tell yourself that smoking will NOT solve the problem.
Watch for your triggers and be aware of them.

Before you quit, plan what you will do when you encounter one of the triggers. How will you handle it?
Cinnamon sticks work really well to have something to suck on. As do straw cigarettes. Cut some straws the length of a cigarette and stuff it with cotton until the draw is about the same as a cigarette. Keep these handy. Put them in your purse, in the car, all around the house. Keep one in your pocket.
Taking deep breaths help.

Let us know how you are doing!

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 04-06-2007, 01:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

captnanny HB User

uugh,
I don't know that's the first honest answer I've had about this smoking thing. If I was not having the surgery and in this pain,
ABSOLUTELY i would quit. WOW am I crazy or what? Thanks for all of your support and feedback. I guess when it comes down the that very question I do want to quit and know that it is me who wants to otherwise this whole smoking thing wouldn't be an issue I'd just continue to do it.
SO I go april 13th That is my quit date.

OH IM SO SCARED
HELP?

Old 04-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #7
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Hi CaptNanny and welcome to this board!!! Wow, you sure have a lot on your mind. I really hope everything works out for you.

As you've probably already read, a lot of us quit smoking using a drug called Chantix. You can keep smoking for the first week or so while using the drug, but it gradually curbs your desire to the point where you cut down and quit altogether. It makes it pretty easy to do. I smoked for over 35 years and had to quit for health reasons also. I quit smoking with the help of Chantix almost 10 weeks ago. I honestly could not believe it.

You really have to want to quit though. I know it's a big decision just to get to that point. Just know that you are not alone. We've all been there. Like every one says on this board, you pretty much "own" this decision. I sure wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide for yourself.

Kevin__

Old 04-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User
Cool Re: wanted to quit badly, now have to and don't want to as much

Hi Capt,

You sure have enough going on in your life. You have made a great decision, one of your best ever to QUIT smoking. You will be so rewarded for your decision, mentally and physically. Kevin is right about the Chantix, it too worked for me whereas nothing else did. Just make a plan and stick to it. We are here to support you and help in any way we can. Best wishes on your surgery and your QUIT.

Sapphire

Old 04-06-2007, 09:26 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnanny View Post
SO I go april 13th That is my quit date.
OH IM SO SCARED
HELP?
captnanny,
I think April 13th is a WONDERFUL day to quit!!

I know you are scared. We all were, I suppose. It's the unknown that scares us. Most of us have smoked all of our adult lives and can hardly remember what it was like to be a non-smoker. But we are here to cheer you on and offer suggestions if you want them. We have all been where you are. But let me tell you, this is a decision you will NEVER regret making, after the first few days. Not smoking gives you such freedom!! You are no longer looked at like you shouldn't be stinking up "my" air. You know the look that some people give people that smoke. You are free to sit and enjoy a movie without wanting it to hurry up and end so you can go smoke. You are free to go to church and really enjoy the fellowship without thinking I've got to get out of here so I can get me a cigarette. I'm sure you can add to this list the things you will be free to do once you stop smoking.

We're here for you!!
Good Luck to you!

Memaw

Old 04-08-2007, 01:31 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

captnanny HB User

Hello,
Thanks for all of your support. I hope I will be back sometime next week, and until my quit date with good news. I do have a question though. I have decided to quit. I do not know how much will power or serious I am about that. My friend from Florida is coming in to help me, she smokes and does not like the cold weather. I live in a suburb of chicago and it's not even 50 here. She most likely will turn my kitchen fan on and open a window to smoke. I might be so tired and in pain to care or I might just want to join her to alleviate my stress. Do I tell her no matter what, smoking is outside? I know that sounds like an easy answer but she is very stubborn and pretty much does what she wants. She is my best friend and right now I am very vunerable to losing friends, this pain has kept me locked in my apartment for a while now. Should I still tell her to try? du I know the answer I guess I"m trying to truly convince myself that I DO WANT TO QUIT

Old 04-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

captnanny,
Maybe you won't have to decide. Maybe you friend will volunteer to go outside since she will know that you are trying to quit smoking. You might do like Sapphire does and get an air purifier and turn it up.
But you will have to decide for yourself how to deal with the situation. If it was me, I wouldn't hesitate to ask someone to smoke outside. Although I have only been quit less than 8 months, there had been no smoking in my house in years!!!! I would go outside in 15 or 20 degree weather to smoke. Didn't take me long!!!! But I would go outside. I even had me a little portable electric heater on my back patio that I would turn on.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 04-13-2007, 12:47 AM   #12
(female)

FLOYD03 HB User

captnanny:

I too had to quit for health reasons. Well, let me rephrase that...It was "strongly suggested" that I quit or the tumors on the roof of my mouth would be back and after most of the bone has been shaved down there would not be much left to shave and then big bad times would come!!!
So, yes, I quit. I has not been easy but I find that keeping myself busy helps so much. I love to shop so the stores are a good place to "camp out" since you can't smoke there anyway! I drink lots of water too. Something about the "cleansing" feeling I think and brush my teeth allot.
I can't eat candy or gum so that stinks but there are so many things that help out and you will find what works for you.

As for your friend who smokes? Guess what (and this is not meant to be crude, rude or anything bad), you want to smoke, you smoke OUTSIDE, PERIOD! Most people today (I know all my friends that smoke) when they come over go outside and that was even when I smoked!!! And with the situation you are in right now it should be a no brainer for her to do so. Honestly, if she is so stubborn that she won't do that then in my opinion you deserve better friends!!! A friend in need is a friend indeed.
We all have many "aquiantances" but very few "true friends" in our lives and we find who they are! Me, I have 2 and I cherish them. That is all I need!!

Hang in there and when you feel weak, come to the site and read! That helps allot too!!!............oh, and come for your cup full of water!!!

K

Closed Thread