It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2007, 07:42 AM   #1
(female)

Fibrana HB User
My first quit day!!!

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd come here for some support. Today is my first quit day. I'm officially a non-smoker now for 12 hours!

I wanted to go "cold turkey" after reading Allen Carr's great book, "Easy Way to Quit Smoking", but I don't think I'm strong enough. So, for now, I'm using the patch and have the inhaler for emergencies only.

I smoked for almost 30 years and my health was getting really bad. I just knew it was time to quit.

Today, I feel better already, but it feels like something is "missing". I keep taking deep breaths because my lungs seem to screaming out for the smoke! Hopefully, this will get better in time.

I'm trying to think positive and know I've done the right thing. It's time to rid myself of this addiction!

Good luck to everyone who is also taking this big step.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User
Re: My first quit day!!!

CONGRATULATONS!!! of course something is missing. you have spent a lot of years doing things a certain way and now you aren't. this feeling will go away. it takes time. not smoking is hard. you take it one day at a time and remember that the cravings only last for a few minutes then they go away for awhile. try slow deep breathing. get up and do something. the cravings will get less in intense and less often over time. i have not smoked in 8 months and i still get cravings at times. not every day but once in awhile. that happens. just get busy with something else. keep on keepin on. God bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Thanks for your reply Marian! Congrats on your quit!!! It's funny, but at lunch time I took my one hour break and a couple of times automatically found myself reaching for my cigarettes in my pocket! I guess it will take some time to adjust! I can do this! I know that I can never have even one puff ever again, or the whole rollercoaster ride will start all over again and be worse. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Thanks Sara!!!! Was feeling a little anxious awhile ago, so I took one inhalation from the "inhaler" (my backup to the patch) and wow! it's strong, made me cough a bit. Helped the craving though. I'll keep doing the deep breaths. How long have you quit for? I can't wait for the day when I hardly think about it at all! LOL

Old 04-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
(female)

mangojunky HB User

Hi Fibrana, CONGRATS on joining the quitters club!
It's tough, but you can do it. Just make sure you have a plan to cope with cravings - in the car, at lunch, after work - whenever you used to habit smoke. Keep busy, exercise, drink LOTS of water and visit here often. I am on day 45, and it gets easier day by day. Hang in there, you'll be great!
deb

Old 04-05-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
(female)

alittlecrazy58 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara29 View Post
Fibrana, I do deep breathing with my silent meditation...have for years and it is very helpful. i smoked 44+ years(since I was 16)......NO MORE !!!! Cheers, Sara
Hey there Fibrana, Sara, I do deep breathing also and it really helps! I also try and meditate for about 15-30 mins a day. I focus on feeling calm and healthy. I really have to redirect my thoughts about smoking. I have a hard time in late afternoon.For the most part though it has been a whole lot easier to quit on the Chantix than I thought it would. As a matter of fact I know I couldn't have done it without the medicines help. 2 weeks for me also Sara and I smoked 33 yrs (since 15) its tough when smoking is associated with over half your life. Fibrana and any of you new quitters out there, this is the place to come for support and cheering on. Everyones had just about every type of quit experience. Congratulations on quitting and Good Luck!!!!

Old 04-05-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User

Hi, Fibrana!

My brother quit successfully using the patch just last year. He was my inspiration to quit smoking, I thought if he could do it so could I. I did but used Chantix, doesn't matter how one does it just so they do. I wish you the best. 12 hours is great! Go Fibrana Go

Best wishes,

Sapphire

Old 04-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #8
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Fibrana - you can do this!! It does get easier, I promise. Each and every day will get easier. You just have to believe in that - and break yourself of the habit of smoking. Your sense of smell will be so awesome - like you can smell the guy down the street smoking, or someone at a traffic light with the window down. You just want to shout to them - "HEY!! YOU WANNA QUIT THAT STINKING HABIT? TRY CHANTIX!!" But I don't - I don't wanna get shot at.....

Anyways - good luck in your quit and come here often - it really does help to read everybody's posts - plus it occupies your time you would've spent smoking!!

"SMOKING IS NO LONGER AN OPTION" - right Memaw??

Old 04-05-2007, 09:57 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibrana View Post
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd come here for some support. Today is my first quit day. I'm officially a non-smoker now for 12 hours!

I wanted to go "cold turkey" after reading ***'s great book, "Easy Way to Quit Smoking", but I don't think I'm strong enough. So, for now, I'm using the patch and have the inhaler for emergencies only.

I smoked for almost 30 years and my health was getting really bad. I just knew it was time to quit.

Today, I feel better already, but it feels like something is "missing". I keep taking deep breaths because my lungs seem to screaming out for the smoke! Hopefully, this will get better in time.

I'm trying to think positive and know I've done the right thing. It's time to rid myself of this addiction!

Good luck to everyone who is also taking this big step.
Hi Fibrana,
Welcome to the message board!!
You are gonna love being a non smoker!! You will smell so much better, not like cigarettes anymore!! Your hair will smell like the shampoo you use. So go out and get the best smelling shampoo you can find!

There are quite a few people here on the message board that are doing the patch. So you will be in good company. I used them years ago. But like Sara, I guess I really wasn't ready. I used Chantix for this, my final quit.

It really helps to come here and "talk" to everyone. We have all been where you are. We understand what you are going through. I have been inspired by so many on this board!! They are so generous with their support.

And yes, Skimmer, it's good to keep repeating Smoking is no longer an option.
That got me through a lot of cravings!! As did deep breathing while I was repeating that in my head.

Sara, I tell everyone I know about the Chantix. I've had a few friends to start using it. I need to check in on them to see how they are making it. I told them to email me if they had any questions or problems. Maybe they are lurking on this message board!!

Good Luck to you, Fibrana!! Keep us posted as to your progress. Please let us know how we can help you through this.

Memaw

Old 04-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #10
(female)

Fibrana HB User

All of your replies and support are great!!!! Last night was tough for me, but I got through it. My home is really the only place I felt comfortable smoking anymore, so it was hard to be here and not smoke. Especially with a beer!

Today is a little better. My chest doesn't feel so tight and I'm keeping busy cleaning. Tonight will be a little more difficult as I have a poker tournament to go to, but everyone smokes outside. My first social event as a non-smoker! LOL I don't want to stop living my life just because I quit smoking.

What is this Chantix everyone is talking about? I live in Canada and have never heard of it. All I've heard of here is Zyban medication (prescription) to help quit smoking. In one of my quit smoking books, there is a picture of how much tar stays in your lungs after just one year of smoking. It is GROSS!!! I think I should carry this around with me!

Do any of you worry that you left it too late to quit smoking (almost 30 years for me) or are you just happy that you finally did quit? For the past few months, almost every cigarette I smoked, I thought "is this the one that will give me cancer?". Very scary. I'm also praying to God to help me get through this withdrawal period and help my lungs to heal.

Thanks everyone! Hugs.

The following user gives a hug of support to Fibrana:
YBLikeMe (04-16-2011)
Old 04-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Congratulations on day 2 Fibrana!!!

Soon it will be 2 weeks, then 2 months.... etc!!

Old 04-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #12
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Hi Fibrana and Congratulations on two days quit!!!

That is awesome!!! I completely agree with Sapphire. It does not matter how you quit, so long as you can do it!!!

You can look up Chantix on the internet. I cut and pasted a little information for your review. I apologize if it is more information than you wanted to take in, but found it all pretty interesting myself, so here goes...

People often forget that smoking is both a habit and an addiction. The combination of both are what make it so hard to quit.

"I was a heavy smoker, and quitting was the most difficult personal challenge I ever faced. After I quit, I worked with a team of Pfizer scientists to develop CHANTIX specifically to help smokers quit."

— Dr. Jotham Coe, Pfizer scientist

CHANTIX™ (varenicline) is a prescription medicine specifically developed to help adults quit smoking. CHANTIX gives smokers a better chance of success than Zyban®.*

Maybe you’ve tried quitting cold turkey. You may have tried nicotine gum or patches. But now there is another reason to try again.

CHANTIX should be taken for 12 weeks. Studies show 44% of smokers were able to quit at the end of 12 weeks with Chantix.

CHANTIX has been proven to be more effective in helping smokers quit than Zyban®,* the only other nonnicotine prescription medicine for smoking cessation. In 2 independent studies, more smokers quit with CHANTIX at the end of 12 weeks.

About Chantix Chart

Results are from 2 identically designed clinical trials in which patients received either CHANTIX 1 mg twice a day, Zyban 150 mg twice a day, or sugar pills twice a day for 12 weeks. Patients were given a booklet on quitting smoking. They also received counseling at each visit.

From weeks 9 through 12 in the study, the smoking status of each patient was checked. This information was compared among the 3 groups. Patients were considered quit if they did not smoke a cigarette or use other nicotine products for the final 4 weeks of treatment.
Benefits of CHANTIX

CHANTIX is proven to be effective, but it's not a magic pill. For most people, smoking is both a physical and behavioral addiction. That’s why we also offer a support plan. CHANTIX can help reduce the urge to smoke. The GETQUIT™ Support Plan can help you learn to break your smoking routine.
How is CHANTIX different?

CHANTIX is different from other ways to quit. It contains no nicotine but works on the same receptors as nicotine. And it's the addiction to nicotine inhaled from smoking that makes quitting so hard.

How does CHANTIX work?

First, you have to know how nicotine works.

There are receptors for nicotine in the brain. When smoke is inhaled, nicotine attaches to these receptors. This sends a message to a different part of the brain to release a chemical called dopamine. Dopamine gives a feeling of pleasure. But it only lasts for a short time. The body wants to repeat this feeling. Based on research, it is believed that CHANTIX™ (varenicline) works by activating these receptors and blocking nicotine from attaching to them. However, CHANTIX does not contain nicotine.

CHANTIX™ (varenicline) comes in convenient weekly dose packs. Remember to always take CHANTIX as prescribed by your doctor. Please see the chart below for full dosage information.
Recommended Dosing

Day 1 to day 3 White tablet 0.5 mg, 1 tablet each day Day 4 to day 7 White tablet 0.5 mg Twice a day 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening Day 8 to end of treatment Blue tablet 1 mg Twice a day 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening

If you have side effects with CHANTIX that bother you or don't go away, be sure to tell your doctor.

If you have kidney problems or get dialysis, be sure to tell your doctor before taking CHANTIX. Your dose may be lowered.
Some important things to remember:

* CHANTIX should be taken after eating.
* Drink a full glass (8 ounces) of water with your dose.
* If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it's close to the time of your next dose, wait. Then just take your next regular dose.
* Tell your doctor about all other medications you are taking before taking CHANTIX. Especially tell your doctor if you take insulin, asthma medications, or blood thinners. When you stop smoking, there may be a change in how these and other medicines work for you.

How to get started

Choose a quit date when you will stop smoking.

Start taking CHANTIX 1 week (7 days) before your quit date. This lets CHANTIX build up in your body. You can keep smoking during this time. Make sure that you try and stop smoking on your quit date. If you slip, try again. Some people need a few weeks for CHANTIX to work best.

Most people will keep taking CHANTIX for up to 12 weeks. If you have completely quit smoking by 12 weeks, ask your doctor if another 12 weeks of CHANTIX may help you stay cigarette-free.

________________________________________ __________________

*Zyban is a registered trademark of Glaxo Group Limited.

* Site Map
* Privacy Statement
* Terms of Use
* About Pfizer
* Contact Pfizer

CHANTIX is a prescription medicine to help adults stop smoking.

In studies, the most common side effects for people who took CHANTIX were nausea, changes in dreaming, constipation, gas and/or vomiting.

In studies, nausea was the most common side effect in about 30% of patients. Generally it was mild to moderate and for most people, but not all, it went away. Most people were not bothered enough to stop taking CHANTIX.

If you have side effects with CHANTIX that bother you or don't go away, be sure to tell your doctor.

Taking CHANTIX and other smoking cessation medicines at the same time has not been studied and is therefore not recommended.

It's possible that you might slip up and smoke while taking CHANTIX. If you do, you can stay on CHANTIX and keep trying to quit.

Tell your doctor about all other medications you are taking before taking CHANTIX. Especially tell your doctor if you take insulin, asthma medications or blood thinners. When you stop smoking, there may be a change in how these and other medicines work for you.

CHANTIX is for adults. Do not use CHANTIX if you are younger than 18 years old. Because it is more common for older to people to have kidney problems, be sure to talk with your doctor about how your kidneys are working before you take CHANTIX.

If you have kidney problems or get dialysis, be sure to tell your doctor before taking CHANTIX. Your dose may be lowered.

CHANTIX has not been studied in pregnant or nursing women. You should stop smoking before you become pregnant. If you take CHANTIX, discuss ways to feed your baby, other than breast feeding, with your doctor.

When you stop smoking, your body will need time to adjust to the absence of nicotine. You may feel side effects from this.

This product information is intended only for residents of the United States.

The health information contained herein is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace discussions with a healthcare provider. All decisions regarding patient care must be made with a healthcare provider, considering the unique characteristics of the patient.

Hope this helps...

Kevin__

Last edited by Kevin__; 04-06-2007 at 04:00 PM.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #13
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Thanks for the information on Chantix. I don't think it's available in Canada. It doesn't sound like you can use the nicotine gum or NRT with this drug. However, it says if you have a cigarette to stay on it, so what is the difference? LOL

Well, day 3 now for me!!!! I'm proud of myself, but it is still really hard. Went to a social function last night and did get through it.

I still feel really weird though and lungs are still screaming to smoke. I hope this goes away soon! Sleep is hard to come by for me. I'm only sleeping about 4-5 hours, if that. Have to keep busy all the time. My place will be spotless!!! LOL

My other dilemma is dating while going through this ordeal. I want to date, but feel right now I would be too "tense" and talking about missing cigarettes, etc. Non-smokers wouldn't understand what I'm going through and on the other hand, if I date a smoker, I think that would be too hard on me. I'm so used to having the cigarette as my "crutch" when on first dates, etc. etc. So, should I stay dateless for now?

How do you manage when someone you're close to still smokes?

I love these boards, they are really helping me! Thank you everyone.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User
Cool Re: My first quit day!!!

Hi, Fibrana!

I read that Chantix is available in Canada now. You could call a local pharmacy and find out the cost, etc... If you feel that the patch is not working as well as you would like, you might give Chantix a try. The information Kevin sent about Chantix was great. I tried the patch, it did not work for me. It did work for my brother though and many others that I know. I could not handle the side effects. Now Chantix has side effects too, but I did not find any so bothersome that I would quit taking the medication. I am almost 2 weeks QUIT and the urges to smoke are few and far between.

As far as dating goes, I personally would not date a smoker. I don't want to be around the smoke and I most certainly do not want to be tempted. I find when with nonsmokers I do not think about smoking as much as I do when around smokers. Over time, you will find new ways to deal with the everyday stresses of life and won't reley on smoking as a coping mechanism.

Ventilation is the key if you live with others who smoke. You can always ask them to help you by smoking outside, but they may opt not to. It is not that they do not want to help you, they are simply "addicts." I have an air purifier and it has been a godsend. My father lives with me and he smokes or burns up about three packs a day.

Hang in there, you are off to a good start.

Sapphire

Old 04-07-2007, 08:47 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Fibrana,
I thought you might like to see a list of SOME of the 3000 - 4000 toxins or chemicals that are in cigarettes. It might help to inspire you to not smoke.

Cigarette Smoke contains more than 3000 chemical substances, and a few of them deserve mentioning:

Acrolein: a toxic, colorless liquid with irritating cancerous vapors

Carbon Monoxide: a highly toxic, flammable gas used in the manufacture of numerous chemical products. Inhalation of carbon monoxide interferes with the transportation of oxygen from the lungs to the tissues, where it is required.

Nicotine: a poisonous alkaloid that is the chief addictive substance in tobacco. It is also used as an insecticide and to kill parasitic worms in animals. One pack of cigarettes a day, inhaled, gives you enough nicotine to kill you outright if you were to receive it all in one dose.

Ammonia: a gaseous alkaline compund of nitrogen and hydrogen used as a colant in refrigerating and air conditioning equipment and in explosives, artifical fertilizers, and disinfectants.

Formic Acid: a pungent liquid gas used in processing textiles and leather. Exposure to the acid irritates the mucous membranes and causes blistering.

Hydrogen Cyanide: an extremely poisonous liquid used in many chemical processes including fumigation, and in the case-hardening of iron and stell. Cydrogen cyanide gas is used as the lethal agent in capital punishment.

Nitrous Oxide: a group of irritating and sometimes poisonous gases that combine with hydrocarbons to produce smog. Nitrogen dioxide can seaken bodily tissues and increases susceptibility to respiratory ailments.

Formaldehyde: a pungent gas used primarily as a disinfectant and preservative. It is extremely irritating to the mucous membrances.

Phenol: a caustic, poisonous acidic compound present in coal and wood tar and used in disinfectants.

Acetaldehyde: a highly toxic, flammable liquid that irritates the eyes and mucous membranes and accelerates the action of the heart. Prolonged exposure causes blood pressume to rise and causes proliferation of white and red blood cells.

Hydrogen Sulfide: a poisonous gas produced naturally from putregying matter and used extensively in chemical laboratories.

Pyridyne: a flammable liquid used in pharmaceuticals, water repellents, bactericides, and herbicides.

Methyl Chloride: a toxic gas used in the production of rubber and paint remover and as an antiknock agent in gasoline.

Acetonitrile: a toxic compound found in coal tar and molasses residue and use in the production of plastics, rubber, acrylic fiber, insecticides, and perfumes.

Propionaldehye: a colorless liquid with a suffocating odor, used as a chemical disinfectant and preservative as well as in plastic and rubber.

Methanol: a poisonous liquid alcohol used in automotive antifreezes, rocket fuels, synthetic dye stuffs, resins, drugs and perfumes.

... AND! Let's not forget arsenic!

So although you are still getting the nicotine from the patch, just look at what you are NOT putting into your body daily!!

It will get easier!!!!!!!! Just hang in there. You are doing super!!

Memaw

Closed Thread