It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2007, 06:44 AM   #1
(female)

Canada eh HB User
Only day 6 and not going well!

I have been on the patch for 6 days and everyday I have given in to the craving! I have no will power! I haven't somked a whole one,but have had a puff here and there. I am not giving up completely and plan to stay with the patch. It's just so stupid, it's not nicotine withdrawl, it's just the habit I can't quit.
Hopefully next week will go a little better. ....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
(female)

Fibrana HB User
Re: Only day 6 and not going well!

Hang in there! You can do it!

I'm on Day 2 with the patch. Please get a copy of the book "Easy Way To Quit Smoking" by Allen Carr. It is great. Yesterday was hard for me (first day), but I'm feeling better today. You just have to make up your mind that "that's it, I'm no longer a smoker, EVER". I'm also keeping the inhaler in my pocket for emergencies, but try not to use it much. I like it. It really gives you that "hit" of nicotine when you're desperate. Better than smoking anyway.

Keep us updated and best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #3
(male)

punkiishmob HB User

It will pass. I've been ont he patch for almost three months and it's the best thing that has ever happened.

Exercise! Seriously, if it weren't for this, I would have been going crazy the first few weeks. The cravings will still be there. It was horrible for me the first seven days, but after I started working out and drinking a TON of water ( buy one of those 1000ml water bottles and keep drinking out of that everyday ), all this went away. Occasionally I will get stressed out, but I have already taken over my mind with doing other things when I am stressed.

"And this day, too, shall pass.."

Old 04-06-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
(female)

Sassafrass627 HB User

I agree with the suggestion of water. When that craving hits, instead of sticking that cigarette in your mouth, drink water until it passes. And it will pass! It's a matter of exchanging something good (a healthy snack or water) for something bad (that nasty cigarette!). Every day that passed without a cigarette smoked just added to my determination for me to get through another day. Don't let the "habit" of smoking beat you! You are stronger than it is!

Old 04-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
(male)

Kevin__ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassafrass627 View Post
I agree with the suggestion of water. When that craving hits, instead of sticking that cigarette in your mouth, drink water until it passes. And it will pass! It's a matter of exchanging something good (a healthy snack or water) for something bad (that nasty cigarette!). Every day that passed without a cigarette smoked just added to my determination for me to get through another day. Don't let the "habit" of smoking beat you! You are stronger than it is!

O my gosh, CONGRATULATIONS
CANADA EH!!! Welcome to this board!!!

Cannada EH, I agree with Sassafrass, you ARE stronger than the addiction and you ARE doing it!!! I absolutely loved your attitude. You are going to do this. You have already made it through six days of "Hell Week". It will get better and better now.

Please go celebrate and pat yourself on the back. You really have something to be proud of. Some times I think quitting smoking is like winning the Olympics. However we have far more winners like you!!!

Hang in there, you're doing fantastic...

Kevin__

Last edited by Kevin__; 04-06-2007 at 05:38 PM.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User
Cool Re: Only day 6 and not going well!

Hi, Canada!

First off, do not be so hard on yourself. Sounds like you could use a little break. Quitting smoking will be one of the hardest things you have ever done,
you are addicted to nicotine and your body craves it. Just like it craves food. When you slip and have a few puffs, simply start over again. You will get further and further each time you do this. Take it one day at a time. If the patch does not seem to work for you consider trying Chantix. See your doctor and ask him about it. I am sure you have read about it in these here message boards. It has worked for me and many many others. I think it is the best thing next to Chicken Noodle Soup. Whichever way you QUIT, best wishes to you. Come here for support and to vent. We all want to see you succeed. Keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck to you.

Sapphire

Old 04-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada eh View Post
I have been on the patch for 6 days and everyday I have given in to the craving! I have no will power! I haven't somked a whole one,but have had a puff here and there. I am not giving up completely and plan to stay with the patch. It's just so stupid, it's not nicotine withdrawl, it's just the habit I can't quit.
Hopefully next week will go a little better. ....
Hi Canada,
I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time. It will get better the longer you don't smoke. You just need to find new habits. Instead of lighting up after you eat, exercise or put a piece of hard candy in your mouth. Find something that works for you. Everyone is different.

Also time how long the cravings last. Most of the time, they won't last over a few minutes. You can not smoke for a few minutes, right? The cravings will pass whether you smoke or not. Let the cravings pass without smoking. Believe me, I know how stong those cravings are!! We all do!!

Take it one day at a time. Or one hour at a time. Or one minute at a time.
Do whatever you have to do to not smoke that cigarette. Not even one puff.

Maybe you need to get rid of the temptation. Throw your cigarettes away. That way you couldn't light up!! Right?

To be successful in your quit you have to want to quit more than you want that cigarette.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 04-07-2007, 11:20 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Congratulations on quitting smoking Canada eh!
It's the best health decision you can ever make in your life! I used the patch and loved it and hated giving it up, but I gradually did.... Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Closed Thread