It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
(male)

punkiishmob HB User
I'm Afraid to Take Off the Patch!!

I've been on the patch for almost three months (since my quit date..). It has now been 11 weeks and I am already losing weight, and forgetting all about it! It has come to the point where when I am stressed out, a cigarette doesn't even come to mind! I have been exercising twice a day, sleeping better (with Trazodone), and overall gaining support from my girlfriend, as well as my family and friends who don't smoke, or who do smoke.

Anyways, I started off with Step 2, and for the past month now I have been on Step 3 (7mg).

My student health counselor had directed me that starting Tuesday I will cut the 7mg patch in half, allowing for half of the nicotine to enter my bloodstream.

I'm afraid to do this!

As much as alot of times I wake up and drive to work FORGETTING to put on the patch (thats a good thing), I am still deathly afraid to come off of this completely at such a short time. My blood pressure and heart is fine, etc.. i'm a healthy boy.

But has anyone else weaned themselves off as slow as me?
And is it alright?

btw - thanks for everyones support.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Re: I'm Afraid to Take Off the Patch!!

Hi Punkiishmob, my doctor told me to stay on the patch as long as I wanted to... sure it has nicotine but it's a much safer way to get it than smoking. I think him just saying that made me feel better knowing that I could use it if I needed it.

I used the patch for 3 months.... maybe a little longer... I haven't worn one since Sept or so... I travel almost weekly and still have a few in my suitcase... my security blanket I suppose.

Congrats on quitting!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi punkiishmob,
Why don't you give it a try? If you start craving cigarettes, go back up to the full patch until you feel comfortable enough to quit using them.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 04-07-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Hi! Congratulations on quitting smoking! That's inspiring that the patch can work! I'm on day 3 of the patch. I can relate to the anxieties you are having about discontinuing them.

My plan is to use the patch for 10-12 weeks, then wean myself off, then just carry the inhaler and nicotine gum in my purse. I'm also using inhaler now once in awhile.

I'm going to have red marks all over my body from the adhesive on those darned patches! Looks funny!

Best of luck!

Old 04-07-2007, 11:21 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User
Cool Re: I'm Afraid to Take Off the Patch!!

Hi!

I know I am going to have the same anxieties tapering off of Chantix as you feel about discontinuing the patch. If me, I think I would just stay on the whole 7mg and not even worry about cutting it in half. It may not even be effective; as medicine dispersed in patches were not designed to be cut in half. When the time is right, you will naturally come off the patch. I do not think their is anything wrong in you protecting your QUIT (thanks Kevin, great phrase). The longer we are nonsmoker the more confidence we will have when we "go it alone." Best wishes and good luck.

Sapphire

Old 04-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
(female)

Sassafrass627 HB User

You know what I think? I think you're giving that patch too much credit and not enough to yourself! There's a lot to be said for sheer determination and strong will power, and I know you've got both in you! I guarantee you that that patch is not the sole reason you've stayed quit for 3 months. Take a deep breath, and when the time comes take that patch off and don't look back. It's your last crutch and once you break free from it, you're done! You can do this! One day at a time, okay? Best of luck and keep us updated!

Closed Thread