It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
(male)

jwf222 HB User
Chantix, couldnt pull it off

So i took the .5MG Chantix for the week where you smoke and for the first few days of the week I felt hborrible, like so tired i could barley get off the couch. Today I woke up, took the 1mg pill, made it about 4 hours, and by then was so irritable I just had to smoke. And spent my day back extremly tired. Anyway, I quit for 9 months before, but the diffrence is that time I really wanted too, this time the family kinda forced me into it. I remember feeling really emotionable and irrtable before with NRT, but somehow I made it (I guess on the bit of nicotine in those drugs?) I guess I dont really understand how Chantix works, my first cig of the day didnt give me that great feeling it always has while I was on it, but I still HAD to have it, and if not REAL withdrawl symptoms occured. So....I'm going to save these 2 weeks and 6.5 days worth of pills I have for when I am more ready to quit, but some understanding of why this went down as it did I think would help me. So....I feel bad/dissapointed in myself a lot right now about not stopping but those feelings were so bad and mean spirited this morning I knew after a bit it wouldnt work. I think I'm going to have to go into isolation to do this!

Old 04-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
(male)

Kevin__ HB User
Re: Chantix, couldnt pull it off

Hi JWF,

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. I have to tell you though, Chantix will NOT help you quit if you do not want to. Nothing will... Not gum, patches, Zyban, losenges, cold turkey, hypnosis, nothing. Nada... Sorry, not what you wanted to hear, but nothing will help you until you absolutely want to quit. Until then you are going in two different directions. You're taking medicine to help you quit smoking when you do not want to quit smoking. Does not work...

JWF, no one can force you to quit smoking. It's a very personal decision that you and only you can "own". Save your money until you are ready.

Best of luck to you!!!

Kevin__

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User

I agree with Kevin. Wait until you are really ready. I will tell you this though, the longer one is on Chantix the greater ones willpower becomes. Some people take a couple of weeks before they QUIT for good. Not all QUIT on Day 8 or Day 9, so next time you try just take the medication for as long as you want and when ready set a QUIT date. Do not set the date unless you are sure you will be ready on that day. No pressure. It is your decision and yours alone. The Chanitix will help you to say NO to smoking, but it takes you to say NO for it to work.

Best wishes...

Sapphire

Old 04-06-2007, 08:40 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi jwf,
Since you have quit before, you know that you have to WANT to quit for it to work. I suppose when I first started taking the Chantix, I didn't have any faith that I would quit because I really didn't want to quit. But toward the last few days of the first week, I made up my mind that I was going to give this an HONEST try. After I made my mind up, it worked!!
Even with the Chantix, you still have nicotine withdrawal. But with the Chantix you are able to say NO. It's like the Chantix gives you willpower!!

Please tell your family that stopping smoking is a very personal decision and as much as they would like for you quit, it will have to be your decision alone.

Hang on to the rest of the Chantix. You will need them when you do get ready.

Why don't you keep reading this message board and maybe it will give you inspiration to quit?

Memaw

Closed Thread