It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2007, 12:43 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Xant HB User
New to this board

Hello everyone, I am posting on the Health Boards for another issue and have found this one too.

I have wanted to give up smoking for ages, it's disgusting, dangerous and expensive, so I have now decided to go out and get some patches and start tomorrow.

I gave up for a year about 8 years ago using patches so I know what to expect..the first 3 weeks were bad back then, so I guess Ill expect it this time around too.

Just wanted to drop in and say hi and I really admire all you quitters out there. Im sure you will hear from me more when I start, I hope you can all put up with the whining!

Old 04-07-2007, 04:43 AM   #2
(female)

mangojunky HB User
Re: New to this board

Hi Xant,
Welcome!
Congrats on your decision to be a quitter. I quit for a period of about 5 years with the patch. This time I used chantix, and have been FREE for 46 days. This board was a great source of support,and I also had a plan to keep busy when I normally smoked - in the car, after work.
Drink LOTS of water and exercise - chocolate also helps
Stay strong - you'll do great!
Keep us posted
deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Xant HB User

Thanks to both of you

I have the patches here beside me waiting for tomorrow morning. I also have a few chocolate easter bunnies waiting aswell

I remember when I last quit I put on about 40 pounds and all of it on my butt!!! So this time I need to be very careful of what Im eating.

I will let you know how the first day has gone tomorrow, its great to have your support

Mango, 46 days is awesome, go you!!

Last edited by Xant; 04-07-2007 at 07:36 AM.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Good luck Xant with quitting smoking. This is my third day on the patch. It's still pretty rough for me. My lungs seem so heavy and screaming at me to smoke! I'm also using the "inhaler" when I'm having a rough time. Hopefully, this will get better in time.

The last time you used the patch, it got better in 3 weeks? I'll hang onto that thought and try to be patient. It was just such a big part of my life for years and it's hard not to smoke now when I get anxious, nervous or in a social setting, etc.

Let us know how your are doing! I've only got 3 days on you!

Best of luck.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking Xant! What a wonderful present to give to yourself for Easter!! Let us know how it goes tomorrow. I used the patches too, I would not have been able to quit without them.

Good luck!

Old 04-07-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User
Cool Re: New to this board

Hi, Xant and Fibrana! So proud of both of you for making one of the best decisions of your life. And to think Xant you found this board by accident. Well, welcome to the QUITTERS CLUB where quitters are welcome.

Sapphire

Old 04-07-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi Xant,
Welcome to our corner on the message boards. Glad you jumped over here to check things out.

There have been quite a few people here recently that have started using the patch. So you're gonna be in very good company. Since you've quit before, you know the routine and what to expect. Try to replace new habits for your old ones. Also exercise will help a whole lot! It's also good to help control your weight. Do you know why people gain weight when they quit smoking? It's because they are consuming more calories than they are using. So if you're gonna be eating a lot, be sure it's nothing too fattening.

And Xant, whine away!! Whine, rant, rave, cry, tell us how much worse it is for you than it was for us. We'll listen and will completely understand what you are going through. But keep this in the back of your mind...
Smoking is no longer an option.

It will get better. Promise.

Good Luck to you!

Memaw

Old 04-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Hi Xant,

How's it going? Did you start the patch yet? Today is day 4 for me!!! Just prepare yourself for a rough few days. Well, I've had a hard time anyway. It's hard to get off your mind when you used to smoke 20 or more times a day!

I'm taking lots of deep breaths, keeping busy, using the inhaler for bad urges, lots of self-talk, and knowing that I never want to go through this withdrawal ever again!!!!!!!! Oh, and keep coming to these boards!!! I checked out some other sites, but they will only let you join if you are using the "cold turkey" method. That's nuts!!!!

My best wishes to you. I know EXACTLY what you will be going through! We're not alone in this, but millions of people have quit and we can too!!!

Old 04-08-2007, 09:38 AM   #9
(female)

Karen1711 HB User

Welcome and Congratulations on your decision to quit...the best gift you could give to yourself. You are in the right place for friendly support. Everyone will be glad to help you get through this.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:41 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Fibrana,
Why don't you keep a journal of the way you are feeling each day? That way you will have a record of exactly how hard this quitting is. Then the next time you are tempted to smoke, you can look over your journal and that will remind you of why you don't want to do that!!

You are doing fantastic! You are off to a great start. 4 days smokefree is really good. Keep up the good work!!

Memaw

Old 04-09-2007, 07:18 AM   #11
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Thanks Memaw. I do keep a diary everyday, but I'll try to go into more detail of what quitting and withdrawal are like.

Today is day 5 and I'm starting to feel a little better. Social situations are still a bit hard, especially after a big dinner or having a couple drinks. My lungs aren't feeling so tight, which is great. They keep hurting and begging me to smoke and I just keep saying "No!!!!". Eventually they will give up trying! LOL

Good luck everyone!!!!!!!

Old 04-09-2007, 03:19 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User

xant fibrana

You gals are doing great! Isn't it so nice not to smell like a cigarette anymore?

Sapphire

Old 04-14-2007, 03:34 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Xant HB User

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! I had to put off my stop day until today, firstly, I was allergic to the plasters I had bought...an hour after applying one half my arm came out in hives so I had to take the darn thing off, then my nearest chemist didnt have different ones in stock so I had to order them and waited until yesterday until they got here

I am normally a 'morning smoker', I 'need' a couple of cancer sticks with my first cup of coffee, which means I should be using the 24 hour patches, but last time I gave up I remembered having awful nightmares with them, so this time I'm on the 16 hour ones.

I put one on 2 hours ago when I got up and saw my ciggies laughing at me, so I broke them into bits before I got weak as the patch takes a while to work as you know The first 30 minutes were awful lol, but I know a lot of this is psychological - what I cant have I really want!!

So, first day here, seems the patch isnt causing any itching yet, so hoping it will stay that way...good luck everyone!!!

Old 04-14-2007, 03:39 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xant View Post
So, first day here, seems the patch isnt causing any itching yet, so hoping it will stay that way...good luck everyone!!!
Xant, I hope the patches work this time and don't cause you itching! Once in awhile, they itched me or made my skin red, I tried to remember to not use that place again.... I started using my shoulders and back, as far down as I could reach... it seems the skin on my back is tougher than that of my arms and chest. Good luck and I will be thinking of you an extra bit today!

Old 04-14-2007, 04:11 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi Xant,
Congratulations on beginning your journey to be smoke free.
Just keep repeating..Smoking is no longer an option.
Take slow, deep breaths. Don't forget to exercise. That really helps. Have you made a list of the reasons you want to quit? Keep it where you can see it to help remind you why you are doing this. Think about what smoking does to your health whenever the urge to smoke hits you. Drink lost of water or juices. Try to avoid situations that will trigger an urge to smoke.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Closed Thread