It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
(male)

Zebadee HB User
Red face this is cruciatingly painful

I am so so so close to picking up a cigarette and smoking it, I've been smoke free since new years (4 months now) and as every week goes by I find it harder to stay smoke free. I'm 16 and smoking gave me bad breath and I used to get so depressed about it but I keep thinking to myself 'one cigarette won't hurt', yesterday and the day before I was sooo close to smoking, literally if I had a packet in front of me I would have picked one up and lit one. Especially now the weather is excellent and the sun shines, it makes me want to smoke!! Any help or motivation much appreciated

Old 04-09-2007, 10:47 AM   #2
(female)

mangojunky HB User
Re: this is cruciatingly painful

DON'T DO IT!
4 months is GREAT, and if you start again, you'll just have to quit again. Did you quit cold turkey?

My suggestions:
Write down why you quit and keep it with you to look at when you want a smoke.
Drink LOTS of ice water.
Exercise - take a walk, try yoga....do some deep breathing.

Please quit now before years go by and you have smoked for 20+ years and you then have to quit, or continue the risk of so many diseases and health issues.

STAY STRONG
deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

Gooner: Please, please, please don't do it!! One cigarette will put you right back where you were before you quit. You have NO idea how much I wish I'd never started smoking -- not to mention doing it for 40+ years. It's a horrible habit and one that's so extremely difficult to stop. Chew gum, breath deep, take a shower, exercise.....WHATEVER it takes.

Wishing the best for you. Come back often and let us know how you're doing.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User
Cool Re: this is cruciatingly painful

Get a grip and QUIT! One cigarette leads to two, then three, then all of a sudden you are up to a pack again. It is not worth it. What about smoking attracts you? Why did you QUIT? What was your inspiration? No need to list all the health problems, I am sure you have heard them all. I did and it still took me 35 years to QUIT. Don't make the same mistake. Treat your body like it is the only one you have. No woman or man looks sexy and/or smells good who dangles a cigarette out of his/her mouth.

Good luck to you. Be smart and don't start smoking again. Remember why you QUIT.

Sapphire

Old 04-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

jdfors HB User

gooner don't do it. Your only 16 have faith in yourself. Don't end up like the rest of us, Old and smokey!!!

Old 04-09-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner View Post
I am so so so close to picking up a cigarette and smoking it, I've been smoke free since new years (4 months now) and as every week goes by I find it harder to stay smoke free. I'm 16 and smoking gave me bad breath and I used to get so depressed about it but I keep thinking to myself 'one cigarette won't hurt', yesterday and the day before I was sooo close to smoking, literally if I had a packet in front of me I would have picked one up and lit one. Especially now the weather is excellent and the sun shines, it makes me want to smoke!! Any help or motivation much appreciated

Gooner,
Congratulations on being smoke free for 4 months!!

One cigarette will hurt!! You never know which cigarette you smoke will be the one that gives you cancer. You are playing Russian Roulette each time you light up.
You are an addict. You can not have even one puff of a cigarette without getting hooked again.

Here are some coping skills you might want to try:
Take a deep breath (I did this one a lot!!), chew gum, leave the situation, go for a walk, call a friend, go shopping, exercise, eat something (low cal.), tell yourself "I can do it", "Smoking is not an option", "Smoking will not solve the problem",Think of the reasons you want to quit, Think about what smoking does to your health, Tell yourself that smoking will NOT solve the problem.

And remember that the cravings will pass whether you smoke or not. So let it pass without smoking!!!

Keep this where you can see it:
Nicotine: a poisonous alkaloid that is the chief addictive substance in tobacco. It is also used as an insecticide and to kill parasitic worms in animals. One pack of cigarettes a day, inhaled, gives you enough nicotine to kill you outright if you were to receive it all in one dose.

Do a web search to find out what other chemicals and ingredients and toxins are in cigarettes. That should be enough for you to never smoke another cigarette. I have posted the list here before. If you would like it, I'll post it again.

Everyone here has told you not to do it. You know you shouldn't do it. I'm glad you came here to get support. Please come OFTEN and read these posts, even if you don't post yourself.

Please let us know how you are doing. Keep in touch. We're here to help in any way we can.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 04-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

i quit for a month when i was a teenager. i am now 52 and quit 8 months ago for hopefully the last time. i was at the dr today and i heard him tell another patient that it can take up to 13 years for a lung tumor to grow big enough to be diagnosed on xray. that means i have another 12 years to worry about. i have quit a few times before but i have found that hypnosis and the patch helped this time. i see myself crossing the finish line made of cigarettes. breaking through them with arms held high. saying I AM A WINNER! and i am a winner. i am beating this thing. day by day. so please don't give in. it will get easier. time goes faster than you think. staystrong. God bless

Closed Thread