It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 06:07 AM   #1
(male)

Kieran52 HB User
Smile Hello Everybody :D

Hello,
My names kieran ive been smoking since i was 12, im now 15 and cant stop smoking!, i only smoke 12 cigs a day, but i have severe asthma, so this smoking isnt good for me, im planning to quit in 15 days time, and i was wondering when i do go the first day without a ciggarette, what can i do to ignore the cravings.. its just so god damned hard!

Old 04-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
(female)

Fibrana HB User
Re: Hello Everybody :D

You are so young Kieran, please quit now before it affects your health. You already have asthma, so you have a good motivation to quit. I was stupid and have waited 30 years to quit. It took some health problems to make me quit.

Just set a date, use the cold turkey or nicotine replacement therapy, whatever method you need.

To stay motivated, keep coming to these boards!!! Non-smokers will not understand what you are going through. Everyone here does.

Myself, I am using the nicotine patch and the nicotine "inhaler". I love the inhaler because you get to hold it like a cigarette and get a nice hit of nicotine when you are desperate.

Best of luck to you and let us know how you are doing!

Sherry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User
Re: Hello Everybody :D

Hi Kieran,
Welcome to the message board!!

I'm so glad you recognize the need to quit smoking. A lot of people here are using the patch to help them. You can get a prescription for Chantix from your doctor. Or you go cold turkey.

I wasn't strong enough to go cold turkey. But I had smoked for 40 years. That's a lot of unlearning to do.

To help with the cravings.... remember this: The cravings will pass whether you smoke or not. They will go away!!!!
It takes about 3 days for the nicotine to leave the body. The first week you need to drink a lot of water and orange juice to help flush out all the toxins that you had been putting into your body.

Exercise. Go for a walk. Call someone. Chew gum. Take a deep breath. (This one has helped me and a lot of other people here!!) Leave the situation. Keep your hands busy. Change your routine. Eat something (preferably low calorie). Keep a positive attitude.
Look up the word "nicotine" in your dictionary and write down the definition in big letters: "A poisonous alkaloid used as an insecticide." Put it where you can see it.

Make a list of why you need to quit. Keep it handy so you can see it if you need to remind yourself. Go to smokefree.gov and read the forever free booklets. They are a BIG help. Lots of info.

Take it one day at a time. Just be concerned with the part of the day that you are in. In the morning, tell yourself that you will not smoke until 12:00, then when 12:00 gets here, tell yourself that you will not smoke until 3:00, etc. Keep postponing it. Take it one hour at a time; one minute at a time.

Come here and read the post of other people. Post often. It keeps your hands busy!!

Let us know how you are doing!! We will help you any way we can.

Good Luck to you!!!

Memaw

Last edited by Memaw649; 04-11-2007 at 09:22 PM.

Closed Thread