It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
(female)

Reyne HB User
I quit...now my body went to crap!

I smoked for 25yrs 1-2 packs a day and very happy that I have been 8 months smoke free!!!

But now I am in terrible health. I go to the Dr every other week and had every test imaginable done and find out it is IBS. I have gained 15lbs that just will not budge, tired and just do not feel right.

Anyone else have this problems?? I will never go back to smoking but geez I am trying to live healthy!

Those that are wanting to quit disregard my post...it is worth it!!!! The smell just makes me sick anymore!

Old 04-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User
Re: I quit...now my body went to crap!

Have you had your thyroid checked? Sometimes when people quit smoking their thyroid gets wacky. When that happens, you can gain weight and feel tired, along with a host of other symptoms.
I had my thyroid removed 4 years ago and have been on the same dose of replacement hormone. I quit smoking 7 months ago and all of a sudden I need an increase in my thyroid dosage. For me, there is no doubt that sometimes quitting smoking can cause other heath issues.
Good Luck,
Nodi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
(male)

superchef HB User

I feel the same too! Always seem to bring up or should i say spit out coffee colored blood. Went to hospital, but they said everything was ok!! So confussed on that one.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User

I second the post about checking your thyroid. I've seen several people post on the thyroid forum that there problems surfaced after stopping smoking.

Deb

Old 04-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
(female)

Startagain HB User

Am I glad to see your post! I started chantix on 2/14 and and at the same time completed a 2 week dose of a heavy antibiotic for dental implants that got infected. Within 2 weeks I had horrible stomach cramps and serious diarrhea (sorry to be so graphic). My doctor thought it was the stomach flu that was going around, but when it continued for weeks, he suggested I see a GI doctor. Although now it is not as severe as it was in the beginning, It has now lasted for 10 weeks and I am getting depressed daily because I am normally a very healthy person. I have been to several doctors and after a colonoscopy have been diagnosed for the first time in my life with ulcerative colitis, a form of IBS as you have.

Chantix worked great on my cravings and I find it a wonder drug,, but I can't help but wonder if it somehow precipitated my gastro-intestinal woes that won't go away or if it was the antibiotic that I was taking. I have tested negative twice for the anti-biotic as the culprit. My GI doctor said that smokers for some strange reason are not as likely to get IBS as non-smokers are.

Please let me know how you are doing. I called Pfizer and they said that diarrhea was a common side-effect of Chantix. I am tired daily and have to be so careful with what I eat. I just want to be 'normal' again.

Last edited by Startagain; 04-11-2007 at 08:54 PM.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:58 PM   #6
(female)

Startagain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyne View Post
I smoked for 25yrs 1-2 packs a day and very happy that I have been 8 months smoke free!!!

But now I am in terrible health. I go to the Dr every other week and had every test imaginable done and find out it is IBS. I have gained 15lbs that just will not budge, tired and just do not feel right.

Anyone else have this problems?? I will never go back to smoking but geez I am trying to live healthy!

Those that are wanting to quit disregard my post...it is worth it!!!! The smell just makes me sick anymore!

Old 04-11-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Congratulations Reyne on being smoke free for 8 months!! Way to go!!

Congratulations Startagain on quitting smoking!! Wonderful accomplishment!!

Have you stopped taking the Chantix?

I'm so sorry ya'll are having such a hard time of it.

Memaw

Old 04-12-2007, 06:17 AM   #8
(female)

Reyne HB User

Atleast there are others out there...I feel like I am crazy. They just cannot give me a diagnosis!!!! I should expect my to freak out...I inhaled poison for years!!

I love not being chained to my smokes and smelling like an ashtray

Congrate's to all the other quitters...being a non smoker is great!!

Old 04-12-2007, 06:20 AM   #9
(female)

Reyne HB User

Sorry...Yes I did have thyroid checked in January. I had a physical and everything was great!!

I have lower left groin pain??? I have had a laporscopy (endo) nada, colonoscopy healty, Dr says Ibs??? My body has just out of wack!!

Old 04-12-2007, 07:39 AM   #10
(female)

Startagain HB User

I stopped the Chantix b/c of my stomach problems, I wasn't sure what was causing it and unfortunately started smoking again

I'd like to start the Chantix again b/c it really worked so well for me. I had no desire whatever to smoke using Chantix, it was amazing

Old 04-13-2007, 09:26 PM   #11
(female)

Joryzmom HB User

Reyne, I know how you feel lol. I saw my Dr. yesterday and was put on meds for my high blood pressure. I told her it made no sense, I quit smoking, I'm exercising everyday, trying to eat right (I've lost 10 pounds), and my blood pressure goes up instead of down lol. And I think I'm going into menopause and I'm only 43 lol. I'm taking a hormone test in a couple of weeks.

I think I've been heading towards the high b/p for a long time, I've been told since my mid 20's to watch it, my parents are both on meds for it. Hopefully as I keep losing weight, it will stay down.

I'll never touch another cigarette and I'm happy that the Chantix helped me to quit. I'm just a little angry at my body for going all out of wack lol. I think it's holding itself hostage and trying to make me give it a cigarette lol.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:16 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHARON1952 HB UserSHARON1952 HB User

superchief i was reading your post and i have quit for 5 days now i am coughing up brown or red its hard to tell and it makes me feel like giving up is a waste of time as i have smoked for 40 years i keep thinking the damage must be done can you tell me what they said about you will the coughing up ever go sorry to be a pest but i do realy want to stop but am wondering if its to late i am 54

Old 05-28-2007, 02:35 PM   #13
(male)

johnrf HB User

The coughing up is all of the tar that is in your lungs. Your body is healing! I know it seems disgusting but it wont last forever.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:06 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHARON1952 HB UserSHARON1952 HB User

thanks for replying it does sound awful bet i havent felt well sinsce i stopped now my throat is raw i dont think i felt as unwell when i smoked but at least i smell better

Old 05-28-2007, 07:54 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi all! I'm in the same boat as everyone here. Feel more crummy since I really started walking the straight and narrow. My allergies have been absolutely horrible; eat one meal a day--all day long!; still grouchy even with a mood stabilizer, have rashes, just got over bowel, yeast and bladder infections. Does it always get worse before it gets better? 32 days without a cigarette today. Washed the kitchen floor, got done, and wanted to go outside and have a butt. FIRST TIME HAD THAT KIND OF A CRAVING IN OVER 30 DAYS!!! Does this mean by the year 2011 we'll be done with withdrawals and cravings?? Being in recovery from other things, I was told that for the amount of time you were using alcohol or drugs (and I suppose this includes nicotine), that's how long it takes you to get this stuff out of your system. I smoked for 31 years. I don't have another 31 years to get over a craving!! If anyone has any ideas on this, let me know because I don't want to feel like this at age 81(may I live so long!) Hopeto--

Closed Thread