It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
(female)

ladybug03 HB User
Did you tell anyone? First day on Chantix

I found this forum recently and have been lurking. Decided as today was the day I started taking Chantix, I needed to register for support!

I have smoked for 42+ years and have tried to quit many times. I know all the aids that are supposed to help. I do know that family/friend support is a great help. However, I do not want to tell anyone this time, as I have failed before. This time I really REALLYam determined to do it. Have thought about it for several weeks and had a physical today, got the prescription and had it filled. Took the first pill after supper.

I want to surprise my husband. He is a non-smoker and I know that my smoking bothers him for several reasons, although for the most part he has been patient with me. He is a trucker and gone 2-3 weeks at a time. I plan to "quit" the day after he leaves next time, which will be day 12 on Chantix. That will give me 2-3 weeks of success before I tell him.

Is this foolish of me? Having second thoughts, that maybe I am not "committing" myself by not telling the world?

Old 04-12-2007, 10:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User
Re: Did you tell anyone? First day on Chantix

Hi ladybug!!
Welcome to the message board. So glad you decided to join us!!
I told my hubby because when I got back from the doctor's office with the sample pack for the first month he wanted to know what it was. But the day that I finally quit, I didn't tell him. He finally noticed after a few hours that I had not been outside to smoke. He doesn't smoke and never has.
My husband drove a truck for 32 years. But he drove local, not over the road. He tried that once with a sleeper team and decided he wanted to come back to the city.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing.
We're all here to cheer you on. We understand what you are going through and will help in any way we can.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

Hi LadyBug: CONGRATULATIONS on your decision to become a quitter. I wish you all the success in the world!! You've certainly come to the right place to vent, get support, advice, suggestions.

As to your question: I told no one - except folks on this Board - about my quit until about 10 days out. I wanted to see how it was gonna go on the Chantix before I (possibly) had to admit to another quit failure. From my perspective, it doesn't sound like your not telling your husband is a lack of commitment -- just preparing a nice surprise for him.

Again: welcome to the Board and all the best in your quit process.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User
Cool Re: Did you tell anyone? First day on Chantix

WELCOME TO THE QUITTERS CLUB

LADYBUG, Trish is right, their is nothing wrong with saving your good news until he returns. At that time even you will be more confident in your QUIT. Day 12 is a great goal for your QUIT date. You are going to do just fine this time, Chantix is a wonderful drug and does what it is supposed to do. It really is going to help even more than you can imagine at this time. I could not have done it without Chantix.

You have made a wonderful decision to QUIT. I smoked 35+ years and after numerous times trying to QUIT I finally did with Chantix. Like you I did not want to tell too many people because I was afraid of failure. After two weeks QUIT I finally announced it to the world. It was a good feeling.

The big thing you will have to learn is to what to do with the idle time you soon will have. Since you are no longer smoking, plan for this time now so when it comes you will know what to do with yourself. It is a major lifestyle change and at times I still do not know what to do with myself.

Come to this board often and ask questions, vent, whatever....We are all here to help you succeed and want to hear of your progress.

Best wishes...

Sapphire

Old 04-13-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
(female)

lovemywolf HB User

I too am new to quit. Today is day 4 96hours and 16 minutes, and counting...lol I took Chantix for 1 week and was supposed to quit on day 8 and this would have been the 1st day of the higher dose. i actually quit on the last day of the lower dosage, and have had very few cravings. I am a little anxious, and do still find myself reaching for my cigs and lighter, when i get in the car or before i go somewhere, outside ect. I am experiencing the swollen feet and ankles that i read other people have. How is everyone else doing??? Hope evryone has a ton of success at this.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

Lovemywolf: Welcome to the Board and CONGRATS on your decision to become a quitter. I'm not much of a water or juice drinker, but I really pushed both for about the first 2 weeks. That helped me with the bloating.

Best of Luck in your quit.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:15 PM   #7
(female)

Brenda82560 HB User

Hi Ladybug and welcome! You just go ahead and do it any way that feels right for you. This is your quit and we're all proud of you and support you whatever way you chose to do it! Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 04-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #8
(female)

ladybug03 HB User

Thanks so much everyone for your support! I am so glad to hear that others felt as I did. Determined....but unsure about sharing it with others. Failure has happened before! But will not this time.

I have been reading many of the posts over the last week or so, and everyone sounds so positive. Just what I needed to hear! Again thanks.

I believe what I need to remember is: Smoking is not an option!
Seems I have read that several times on this forum...

I am sure as I progress through the withdrawal/quit process I will be back many times for your support and encouragement.
ladybug

Old 04-13-2007, 04:05 PM   #9
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

LadyBug: Coming here is as good a medicine as Chantix is. Do post often -- it helps and it goes without saying the folks here help.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

ladybug03, great decision to quit smoking, anyway you can do it, do it!!! It's great that you want to surprise your hubby! I'm sure he will be thrilled!!

lovemywolf, awesome 4 days!!! I am so proud of you! Keep coming back and let us know how you are doing!!!

Brenda82560, welcome to the Quitter's Club!! I read your post on losing your pill and it was so funny!!! I used the patch and made sure I never misplaced the package before putting one on, I would have freaked, lol!!

Old 04-13-2007, 08:00 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemywolf View Post
Today is day 4 96hours and 16 minutes, and counting...lol I am a little anxious, and do still find myself reaching for my cigs and lighter, when i get in the car or before i go somewhere, outside ect. I am experiencing the swollen feet and ankles that i read other people have. How is everyone else doing??? Hope evryone has a ton of success at this.

Hi lovemywolf,
Welcome to the message board.
Congratulations on 4 days of being smoke free! Wonderful!
Glad you're having a relatively easy quit.
You'll quit reaching for nasty old things after a while. It doesn't take long.
You just have to get over the "firsts". And sometimes the "seconds". You know, the first time you do something and not smoke that cigarette.
Make new and better habits.
Sorry about the swelling. What has your doctor said about that?

Keep coming here and posting. Read everything you can about cigarettes and quitting them. It helps you to stay quit.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 04-13-2007, 08:03 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

ladybug,
You sound like you are going to a success!! Keep a positive attitude about quitting. It IS a positive thing to do for yourself.

Good Luck!

Memaw

Old 04-14-2007, 12:29 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Hi Ladybug
Anyway you do it is good as long as you do it. We'll all keep your secret for you if you don't want us to tell.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:31 AM   #14
(female)

lovemywolf HB User

Memaw, you truly are an inspiration to me-along with everyone else I have read. I am just trying to keep the fluid retention down to a minimum. I think I will call my Dr. tomorrow. I was afraid to before, thought she might make me stop taking chantix, and I'd rather be a swollen blimp than stop this rx.
what does everyone do with their hands after you quit???

Old 04-14-2007, 01:00 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi lovemywolf,
Have a question for you. Do you have a wolf? One of my neighbors has a half wolf dog that is the sweetest thing alive. I swear that dog tries to talk to you!

Anyways, what to do with the hands? I didn't have that much of a problem with it. Don't know why. Some people chew on straws or toothpicks. I like the cinnamon sticks, myself. You can always come on this message board and type away!!! That'll keep 'em busy!!

I didn't smoke in my house. So I just didn't go outside very much in the first months of my quit. Someone mentioned the other day that they were used to smoking while watching tv. Now they work puzzles while watching tv. It gives the hands something to do.

If you find something that works for you, please let everyone else know what it is. It would be a tremendous help to others having the same problem.

Good Luck to you!

Memaw

Closed Thread