It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User
Chantix side effect: queasy stomach?

My husband is on his 5th week of Chantix. He's 2 weeks smoke free! But, he's having a lot of trouble with the medication itself. He gets a very queasy stomach and a headache almost immediately after taking it. He's tried taking it as soon as he finishes eating and taking it up to an hour after eating. He drinks milk with it also.

Is this normal and have any of you found a solution?
Thanks.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
(female)

Trish M&M HB User
Re: Chantix side effect: queasy stomach?

Hi rubato: I'm at the point that I've almost reached the time to come off Chantix and (fortunately) have not experienced any digestive problems. Like your husband, I've always taken it on a full stomach w/ 16 oz. of water. I hope someone else here will be able to address for you how they've handled the nausea. He might want to contact his physician to see what he/she might have to say.

Wish your husband good luck in his quit!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

rubato,
I had the nausea really bad. I called my doctor to see if I could reduce my dosage. He had me to get a pill splitter and cut the pills in half. Then take it 4 times a day...1/2 pill with breakfast, 1/2 pill with lunch, 1/2 pill with supper, 1/2 pill at bedtime. I was able to take the bedtime pill without any problems because I did not have the dreams or interrupted sleep as a lot of people have. With me taking the med. like that, I was able to cut the nausea in half. And it only lasted about an hour after I took the pill.
If that had not helped, I was going to stop taking the Chantix. As it was I completed the full 12 weeks course.
Make sure your hubby drinks a FULL glass of water and eats before taking the med. Someone on here said they took it while eating. They would eat about half their meal, take the pill and eat the rest of their meal. That worked for them.

Hope these suggestions help. If not, have him contact his doctor. He may have him reduce his dosage. That has helped a lot of people here with the side effects.

Tell hubby Congratulations on being smoke free for 2 whole weeks!! That is super.

Hope he feels better!!! Let us know how he is doing.

Memaw

Old 04-14-2007, 09:54 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

rubato HB User

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll give him these suggestions and see how he does. I do have to say that even with the nausea and headaches, this is a miracle drug. I quit cold turkey 4 years ago and was a horror to live with. He's had no mood swings at all. Lucky me!

Closed Thread