It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
(female)

Username: HB User
Not going so well

Hello all! I quit cold turkey on 4/1. The first week was tough of course, but I got through it and I'm doing better day by day.. Mentally. Physically, I'm a wreck. I never get sick, ever. However I got some sort of cold last Wednesday and it's still just as bad as it was the first day. I feel like I'm never going to get over it. I can't breath through my nose and I feel like my head is going to explode. I know this is because I made a major change, but I'm scared that I've developed some kind of allergy that will never go away and smoking acted as a barrier to that before. I've known a few people to develop asthma or allergies AFTER they quit smoking. I still think not smoking is a better choice, however I'm just wondering, have any of you experienced similar adverse physical effects?
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Re: Not going so well

Way to go Username:!!!

Your body will feel worse before it gets better, what's the saying "No pain, no gain"? I had a cold after I quit but it happened to be a throat infection. I didn't know it was and I was at the doc for another reason and I had to take antibiotics to get rid of it. I used Nyquil and Vick's Sinex (which you can get very addicted to ) at first, but the drugs from the doc made me better in a few days!

Good luck and keep up the great job! Keep coming back here and let us know how you are doing!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi username!
Welcome to the message board!

Congratulations on being smoke free since April 1!!! Way To Go!

I don't know what part of the country you live in, but this has been one of the worse years for pollen in the south that I can remember. Thank goodness the trees have just about stopped! I was living on antihistimines for a while there. My hubby even got a lung infection from it! (He's never smoked! So that didn't have anything to do with it.)
If it gets to bothersome to you, you might want to see your doctor. You may have a sinus infection.

Ya know, sometimes after we quit smoking, we tend to blame everything that goes wrong with us on the fact that we don't smoke any more. Sometimes that may be true, especially with the thyroid. But chances are you would have gotten your cold even if you were still smoking.

Please come back and post some more and inspire others here.
You must be a very strong person with lots of determination to have quit cold turkey. You are to be commended.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 04-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
(female)

Username: HB User

Hello! Thanks for the words of encouragement, it helps. I'm still under the weather but it is starting to get a little better. My body is out of whack for the most part, but it is really great to not smoke.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username: View Post
I'm still under the weather but it is starting to get a little better. My body is out of whack for the most part, but it is really great to not smoke.
Yep, it will take awhile... I smoked for 25 to 30 years and guessed that I would not get over smoking in a week or two. Dang Demon!

Tomorrow you will feel even better!

Old 04-18-2007, 11:09 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Username,
I totally agree with you!! It is great not to smoke!!
It is even better to be able to take a deep breath!!

Memaw

Closed Thread