It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
(female)

Fibrana HB User
Depressed after quitting

Hi everyone,

Just need a little support today. I'm now on Day 13 of quitting, using the patches and inhaler.

The last few days I've just felt so down and cry easily. My life is pretty lonely at the moment and sometimes I just think, "I might as well smoke and die young because I don't want to live too long like this anyway".....
I know, I know, I shouldn't think that way. I guess cigarettes have helped me through most of my life to deal with loneliness and depression. I'm in a singles group etc., but find it hard to make new friends at age 45. My fiance and I broke up 10 months ago also and it seems like I have had no happiness at all since then. Also, my dear stepmother died a few months ago, my real mother got breast cancer, etc. etc. As you can see, I've had a rough 10 months!

I do see a therapist every 2 weeks and basically just talk.

Is this normal after quitting smoking to feel so down and crying, feeling like nothing is fun anymore?

I do not want to get so down that I take up smoking again. I'll try to think some positive thoughts today about quitting.

Just wanted people to know that quitting isn't always easy.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Re: Depressed after quitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibrana View Post
Is this normal after quitting smoking to feel so down and crying, feeling like nothing is fun anymore?

I do not want to get so down that I take up smoking again. I'll try to think some positive thoughts today about quitting.
I got very anxious and depressed after quitting and I still am, if you read the Depression Forum here you'll see me on there a lot.

Yep I think to myself .... I can't smoke, I can't drink, I can't eat what I like, I can't have caffeine.... the only think I can do is exercise, ugh.... so what's the point... But I'm trying to get help for it so I can't help you through this.... I can only let you know that you aren't alone. But I am not smoking!!

About 20 years about 4 of us friends tried to quit smoking. I said "Wow, I'll save $1,000 a year, I can afford a cruise". One friend said to me "I'll bet if someone offered you a cruise right now and you couldn't smoke, you'd hate it". I guess we weren't in the right frame of mind back then. And other friend passed away last year at the age of 50, I'm sure smoking had alot to do with his death. He used to smoke next to his oxygen tank, that's probably not a good idea.

Keep coming back here Fibrana, you help me a lot with your posts!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Thanks Traveller. Nice to know I'm not alone.

It's funny, but 15 years ago I quit for 4 months and saved enough to go on a trip to the Dominican. It was my first flight ever and I was so scared of flying, that I started again! In those days, you could still smoke in the last 10rows of the plane.

Quitting is truly one of the hardest things I've ever done. You constantly have to talk yourself out of it. It will be worth it though!

I was just browsing the web and looking at lung, jaw, tongue and face cancers. That's enough to scare me for awhile! LOL

"Smoking is no longer an option".

Sherry.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:54 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

[QUOTE=Fibrana;2926802]Hi everyone,

Hi Fibrana
Depression is common when quitting as most go through sort of mourning process for cigarettes and also your dopmamine levels are affected by quitting for a few weeks. If you are not taking anti depressants, St Johns Wort can help. I can completely understand your feelings. It has taken nearly 4 months to know that I will be able to enjoy life after quitting. Now I know that life is better after quitting. Whenever I felt down and was tempted to smoke I told myself I could have one tomorrow, but not today. Somehow this worked for me. Quitting is never easy but it is worth it in the end.
Good luck and keep us posted

Last edited by True Brit; 04-17-2007 at 09:55 AM.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User

Fibrana

These angels are for you, to shield and protect you. You post touched my heart. I can relate to what you wrote, sometimes I just do not know what to do with myself, in the past during times like that I would smoke. Did not take much of an excuse for me to smoke anyway. I am learning to live life without cigarettes and I feel it is the hardest thing I have ever done, Childbirth was easier, but not by much.

Loss of a lifestyle is a loss. You have had your quota of losses for quite a while. Top that with QUITTING and woohoo, yep, the natural thing to follow are feelings of depression. The one thing I can tell you is that in time, they will pass. Each day you become stronger than the day before. You can do this and in doing so your self esteem will be even greater than before you QUIT. You will have something to really be proud of, and you will have done it all by yourself (and this cheering section).

Take care Fibrana, know your tomorrows are going to be better. You might want to see a doctor about the depression if it lasts longer than just two weeks. They have great meds to help with depression these days.

13 DAYS SMOKEFREE FIBRANA YOU GO GIRLFRIEND

My best to you and yours,

Sapphire

Old 04-17-2007, 12:32 PM   #6
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

Hi Fibrana: In my several past attempts to quit, I always suffered from depression, anger, a sense of deprivation, etc. It was awful. This time, however, on Chantix have not experienced any of that. So, no -- what you're experiencing isn't unusual at all.

Please come back here often and vent -- it helps a bunch. Best Wishes!

Old 04-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Thank you so much for your kind words. My sister just said something to me in an email that struck a chord. She said maybe it's the addiction making me feel this way so that I'll smoke again. Never thought of it that way. And, you know what? I'd be depressed right now whether I smoke or not, so I guess I'll just have to make my way through it. It's just so hard when smoking has been my way of life and dealing with everything since I was 16. I'm not looking forward to months of being depressed until the dopamine levels work themselves out!

My therapist did put me on Celexa a few months ago when I went through the breakup and other family problems, but I only stayed on for 3 weeks. It made me way too hyper. Now he won't try me on anything else! Just lorazepam to help me sleep and calm my nerves.

I think exercise would help me, but I just can't get motivated right now. I walk on my lunch hour (at the mall!) and try to do a few stretches and sit-ups at night, but that's about it.

I wish all of us on here could meet in person and talk about everything we're going through! Wouldn't that be nice?! Oh well, I guess this is the next best thing.

You guys are the best and so understanding!!!!!!

Hugs.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:38 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hey Sherry,
I'm so sorry you are feeling so depressed.
You know what? What your sister said is true. I read this somewhere:
A pack a day habit is about 70,000 puffs in a year. The only thing you've done as many times is breathing! So you're gonna have automatic memories or urges of smoking. And your body is going to keep asking you to give it again until it finally gives up and realizes that you have won!!
Have you seen the list of what the tobacco companies put in the cigarettes?
Nicotine ain't nothing compared to all the toxins and chemicals in each puff.
If you want me to I'll post it for you.
Sherry, the first few weeks of quitting are the hardest. Just hang in there and stay strong. What you are feeling is very normal. Know that you are not alone in this quit.
Please come here and post and rant and rave and tell us how unfair it is. We will listen and know exactly what you are going through. We have been there.

Good Luck to you!!!

Memaw

Old 04-18-2007, 05:41 AM   #9
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Hi,

First few weeks are hard? OMG!!! I was hoping it was only 2 weeks or so. I seem to be having a harder time the longer I go along! It could be because my life is not great at the moment, plus having major computer problems, etc. etc. I seemed so determined in the beginning and now I find myself doubting my decision. I know it was the right one, but this is just so damned hard. Just feel like sleeping for a few weeks until all the withdrawal is over!

Anyway, today is the 2 week mark!!!!!!!! Guess I should be really proud of that. I'll try to stick with it. I don't want to let any of you down! LOL Or myself! LOL

Have a great day everyone.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:20 AM   #10
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Congratulations Sara!!!!!! 4 weeks! Wow!

Please tell me it gets easier! LOL

Way to Go!!!!!!

P.S. Still can't figure out how to change colours and fonts, etc! Not sure if this worked!

Old 04-18-2007, 08:05 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

CONGRATS ON 4 WEEKS SARA

Old 04-18-2007, 04:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara29 View Post
..is 4 WEEKS for me today...who woulda thunk....Cheers, Sara
Congratulations Sara!!!

Keep up the great work and keep coming back and cheering us on!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Fibrana,
CONGRATULATIONS ON 2 WEEKS SMOKE FREE!!
Sherry, stay stong!! Why don't you go back and read some of your first posts. That may help. Just think....Your lungs are working so much better than they were two weeks ago.
I know it's hard. But please don't let give in.
You'll just have to go through this all over again!!!

Sara,
CONGRATULATIONS ON 4 WEEKS SMOKE FREE!!!.
I'm so happy for you. You seem to be doing really good. Love your attitude!!
That's half the battle.
Keep it up!!!

Good Luck to you both!!

Memaw

Old 04-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #14
(male)

DeadFish HB User

Hi Fibrana,
Wanted to congratulate you on your 2 week mark, *in spite* of enough stuff happening around you that it could really pull the wind from your 'sails.'
Here is the thought that occured to me is that no matter what happens around you to affect your life, only you decide if your quit goes on, no matter how much harder it can feel. (even if ever so briefly).
It is with this point made first then that I pose you can take total credit for a total change in your behavior by just not smoking. They can turn the power off, the roof fall in...repossess the dog...and you cannot do much about that, but you can still walk away from nicotine and hold your head up and feel that rush of actually taking some charge of your life, indisputably.
Don't worry about letting us down with your quit, but in stead, concentrate with keeping yourself UP with it. Think about how positively you can change your life, with smoking at first and then....who knows!?!
I'm a big believer in positive thinking and quitting smoking for me is the biggest kernal to build a positive self image upon I've ever been able to find in myself.
I hope this makes sense; I'm awfully tired and it did when I started it...
It's been over 11 unbelievable weeks for me without a smoke (which I still get a crave for), but I'm making a point of being somebody else that I've never been before. That old negative stuff that I glossed over with a pack of smokes just wasn't for me anymore, and I've found I like smiling a lot more now, before I die.
Wishing you the best thoughts on your quit. I asked if I could be put in a 3 month coma too to pass the denicotinization phase. I even offered a couple of toes or perhaps a finger for their trouble..
They didn't think I was funny there, either.
Rejoice in every breath, and be well!
Best REgards,
DeadFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibrana View Post
Hi,

First few weeks are hard? OMG!!! I was hoping it was only 2 weeks or so. I seem to be having a harder time the longer I go along! It could be because my life is not great at the moment, plus having major computer problems, etc. etc. I seemed so determined in the beginning and now I find myself doubting my decision. I know it was the right one, but this is just so damned hard. Just feel like sleeping for a few weeks until all the withdrawal is over!

Anyway, today is the 2 week mark!!!!!!!! Guess I should be really proud of that. I'll try to stick with it. I don't want to let any of you down! LOL Or myself! LOL

Have a great day everyone.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:49 AM   #15
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Thank you so much for your encouraging words everyone.

I like the way Deadfish says to be proud of our quit, no matter what is going on around us. That it will really build up our self-esteem. It's probably true because if we can quit cigarettes, which is the HARDEST thing to do, it might open possibilities for other things. I am proud of myself and I want to stay that way. This is a new me! It's hard to picture a new image of yourself sometimes, when for almost 30 years, I've pictured myself as a smoker. Feels like I'm leaving a favourite "club" or something! Weird, I know. I always thought smokers were the "cool" people! Now I'm a nerd! LOL

My computer at home is finally working!!!!!!! Hurray! That's one less stress anyway. I'm going to call the phone company today to see if I can get a credit for all the pain and suffering I went through! I've heard they'll do this.

Also, last week I called the drug company that makes the patches and the inhaler to tell them how much I enjoy the inhaler, etc. I answered a few questions and the woman said she would mail me some coupons, as they are not allowed to send samples. In my mailbox last night, I had a nice letter from them with $27 in coupons toward the patch and inhaler!!!!!! It pays to call! LOL

Well, today is Day 15! One day at a time. I will not smoke TODAY.

Have a great day everyone (or night, depending where you are).

Sherry.

Closed Thread