It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User
I cannot believe I gave in to the demon

I have quit for 10 weeks and with all the anxiety and panic attacks for the past 3 months taking the medication for that I was sick of it, I went out and bought a pack of cigs, omg I cant believe I did it. I am in such a turmoil, I am tired of not feeling normal from the anxiety. Now Im depressed.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
(female)

Reyne HB User
Re: I cannot believe I gave in to the demon

Hotdam-
You know what to do...just quit again. I understand the anxiety thing. I freaked out a few times. Have you been working with your Dr?? My Dr put me on xanax...helped alot. I was scared I would be addicted to xanax. But now my anxiety is gone and I do need them anymore.

I am now 8 months quit..you can do it. Just take it day by day do not think about tomorrow..that will freak you out!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User

Hi Hotdam!

Reyne said it best when she said you know what to do, 'QUIT again.'

In addition, go to your doctor and have the symptoms you are having of depression and anxiety checked out. There are many good medications that can help with both.

It takes alot for some people to go to the doctor, but it sounds to me that that is exactly where you need to go. I am sure you are even more depressed because you smoked again. Well, forget it. Forgive yourself and go on. You can do it. You have what it takes, as evidenced by the longevity of your successful QUIT. JUST DO IT!

Be sure to give us an update.

Best wishes,

Sapphire

Old 04-17-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

I have been to the Dr several times, that I am beginning to feel like a hypocondriac, he has put me on Xanax and just yesterday celexa, I am afraid to take the celexa because of the possible side effects, I know I need to just not let it take over. I know I am much stronger than this. I will keep you posted.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi hotdam,
What made you go buy a pack of cigarettes? What triggered it?
I know you said you were having anxiety. But what was different about this time?
Throw the rest of the cigarettes in the garbage and get back on you quit. It will be so much easier to do now than say in a week or month or next year.

Here are some coping skills you might want to try:
Take a deep breath (I did this one a lot!!), chew gum, leave the situation, go for a walk, call a friend, go shopping, exercise, eat something (low cal.), tell yourself "I can do it", "Smoking is not an option", "Smoking will not solve the problem",Think of the reasons you want to quit, Think about what smoking does to your health, Tell yourself that smoking will NOT solve the problem.

And remember that the cravings will pass whether you smoke or not. So let it pass without smoking!!!
You are much smarter now. You know what will trigger you to go buy some smokes. Practice your coping skills and try to stay away from things that will make you want to light up.

You can do this!! I know it's not easy. We have all "slipped" before. I think you were doing really good with you quit. But please get back to it. Don't let nicodemon win!!!

Memaw

Old 04-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

The severe anxiety attacks was the culprit, yes I was doing so well, just could not handle the panic and anxiety even with the meds. Doc just started me on another med so we will see how that works. I feel like I am in such turmoil and cannot seem to get a grasp on it.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

hotdam,
You will quit once you are healthy again. I'm confident of that. In the mean time, please keep coming here and reading and posting. It will help you get back on your quit sooner rather than later.
Right now, try to get the anxiety under control and don't concern yourself with the stopping smoking. That will come later. Okay?
Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Closed Thread