It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 02:42 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

theycallmemom HB User
Praying that Chantix will work

Hi all! New to the boards, this will be the start of my second day on Chantix. My sister got me on it, she quit - says if it worked for her it will work for anyone - but I am doubtful. Been trying to quit for years and years. I know this will sound dumb, but I think I am like super addicted - I even get up out of a dead sleep to smoke! (when I sleep - Im an insomniac) I have tried the patch, the gum, cold turkey - I even had a heart attack and surgery and was smoking in he bathroom at the hospital 3 days after surgery! This is like my last hope! I smoke just to smoke!!! I chain smoke and have for about a year and I want to stop so bad!!! Couldnt afford the script, my son paid for it! My kids hate that I smoke and are behind me 100 percent, but the last time I tried to quit I got so mean and nasty my hubby went out and bout me a pack just so he didnt have to deal with me anymore! I cant imagine life without smoking, and am scared - but still I want this so bad - I dont even like the smell of cigs, am constantly spraying air freshner to hide the stink! Im gonna bi in here all the time I think - you all seem so wonderfully supportive and I apologize ahead of time if I drive you all nutso!!!!!

Old 04-19-2007, 03:20 AM   #2
(female)

mangojunky HB User
Re: Praying that Chantix will work

Hi mom,
Welcome to the quitters club!
I quit with the help of chantix, and for me, it was much easier to do than with the patch, or gum (which I have also tried). My suggestions to you -
take the pill right after you have eaten. Drink LOTS of water. Have a plan to keep busy, especially during times you normally smoke. Do you have a project you could start around the house? Do you garden? Start exercising -even if it's just walking - every day. It keeps you busy, and burns off extra energy and stress. Tell yourself that smoking is NOT an option.
You found a great support group here......stay strong and you'll do GREAT!
deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 05:15 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

theycallmemom HB User

thanks MangoJ - we recently moved to a huge old house, and I still have lots of cleaning and re-arranging to do. I love to scrapbook, but kind of think that would make me want to light up, because I usually smoke when Im arranging the pictures. I joined a gym last week, preparing for this, thinking walking on a treadmill would help stay busy, I hate the humidity here and dont think I would stick to walking outside. Just took my second dose, and am wondering if I should start tying to cut back on smoking or just keep things status quo till I am on the higher dose? I have been reading and reading and reading all the posts here, and feel really inspired - its so great to know Im not the only one starting out anxious and scared. But I can not wait till I can type the words - 24 hours QUIT

Old 04-19-2007, 05:30 AM   #4
(female)

mangojunky HB User

It sounds like you have a great plan in place!
I picked a quit date and kept smoking until that date. I did find that cigs were tasting gross, and making me feel nauseous. My last cig was only 2 puffs and I put it out. Do what feels right to you. Just try and start paying to your cravings - are they physical or psycological?
You'll do great!
deb

Old 04-19-2007, 06:11 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

janpo1 HB User

hi!

I'm new right along with you and hoping and praying for the same thing. I'm on my 3rd day of chantix and so far nothing is different. I was really hoping by now that the cig's would start to taste bad or something. No side effects yet except i have been dreaming like crazy! No nightmares just constant dreaming it seems.

Do you feel any different yet? Were only one day apart so maybe we can help each other out.

I also am very addicted. I have smoked for 30 yrs. Up until recently i was a two pack a day smoker. Since ohio put in their non smoking rules i have cut back to around a pack a day. I really really want to be a non smoker!

Last edited by janpo1; 04-19-2007 at 06:13 AM. Reason: eta

Old 04-19-2007, 10:18 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

theycallmemom HB User

Thanks for your responses! So far no real side effects, but this is only the start of day 2. I have only slept 2 out of the past 24 hours, but Im an insomniac anyway so cant blame chantix on that yet! I usually sleep decent about twice a week normally. I seem to be more aware of when I am smoking (probably because I am waiting for the WHAMO) and am trying to pay atention to why, physical or psychological. Problem is I am a chain smoker, so I almost always am smoking - I never let my self get the craveing - thats why I wonder if I should try to cut back, wait for the craving so I can tell the difference. And the only other thing that seems to be a bit different is Im real aware of the smell - I never did like the smell but it just seems to me it is really pronounced todday - like I walked in my room and it hit me like a ton of bricks - my room stinks!!!! So the plan for today is to clean my room top to bottom, bedding and everything and dub it a smoke free room! Gosh I wonder how hubby is able to stand it!!!! He is a non smoker - my kids have always complained about the sitnk and I have always poo pooed it - maybe this highened sense of THIS REALLY STINKS will help when the big day comes
Janpo1 - IM EXCITED AND TERRIFIED - how bout you?

Old 04-19-2007, 10:52 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

janpo1 HB User

I'm also very excited and also very scared.

I want to quit so very much. I don't want to fail. I want to be one of the poster's on here that post how many day's and month's they've been smoke free!

I'm tired of the hold the cig's have on me.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

theycallmemom HB User

Me to!! It never ceases to amaze me that this little 4 inch thing has so much control over my day to day life. I chuckle a bit when I read about other people planning thier activities around cigs! I do that too - and sometimes do not go places I know I woould enjoy just because I cant smoke. My sister said today that she thinks the hardest thing she has to get used to is all the free time she has, she said she never realized how much time it took for her to smoke! Got to thinkin about that and you know that makes sense to me, becasue I do like ....ok I will peel potatoes and have a cig break, start the veggys and have a cig break, set the table then have a cig break! What will I do with all that free time!!!!

Old 04-19-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

janpo1 HB User

I've heard lots of people say that also about the free time. Wow~ never really thought about it but it's so true.

I've smoked for so long that there isn't anywhere i haven't smoked that i can think of. heck~ years ago you were even allowed to smoke in the grocery store and on airplanes. I remember this.

We need to keep in touch since were so close with our chantix pills so we can compare.

Day 3 for me~ i still feel nothing so far.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

theycallmemom HB User

Will do Janpo! think its a great idea!

Old 04-19-2007, 08:58 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi new quitters!!

I'm so excited for ya'll!! I just know that before long all of you will be quitters!!

Suggestion: Don't smoke unless you really need it. Change up your smoking habits. Wait at least 5 minutes to light up. Change locations of where you smoke. If you smoke inside your house, go outside to smoke.
These suggestions will make it a little easier when you finally give them up.

Have a plan ready. What are you going to do after you eat? What are going to do when you answer the phone? You know what your "habit" smoking is. Plan to do something different. I smoked outside. So after I ate, I just didn't go outside. I went and laid down on the couch. Did that for the first couple of weeks. In fact, since I did smoke outside and each time I went out I thought I HAD to have a cigarette, I stayed inside as much as possible!!

Find something that is going to work for you. Find something to do with your hands. I have been advocating cinnamon sticks for a long time. Fibrana has found that they work for her.

Make you some straw cigarettes if you need to. Cut the straws the length of a cigarette and stuff it with enough cotton until the draw is about that of a cigarette. Someone said to put a little vicks on the end of it if you smoked menthol. Keep these all over the place and suck on them when you feel the urge to smoke. Keep fruit and low calorie foods and sugar free candy around.
I still love sugar free wintogreen life savers!! Took them fishing with me yesterday in case I felt the urge to smoke. (That was one of my "firsts" yesterday.)

Good Luck to all of you!! Can't wait to here you say "I'm smoke free"!!

Memaw

Closed Thread