It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
(female)

djm310 HB User
Chantix and quit date

Hi,
I am new to the board. I've been on Chantix for 10 days and have not had any side effects...no nausea, and I don't eat when I take it...just cofee in the morning and I take it.
But! I also have not quit...I am down to 3 a day. Anyone take longer than a week to quit? Somehow knowing that I can have those 3 makes it possible for me to get through the day. But I have to quit! Any ideas or anyone that went through the same thing? By the way, I don't relate to cigarettes tasting bad at this point. They taste GOOD and I'm sucking them down like a lifeline.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

theycallmemom HB User
Re: Chantix and quit date

New here too - just my second day of taking chantix.

Do you still really really really want to smoke those 3 Or do you think maybe it is just those last 3 are the scarest to give up? Im worried about cravings, every other time I tried to quit the cravings were so intense I just couldnt handle it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

janpo1 HB User

I'm on day 3 of taking chantix and also waiting for the pill to "kick" in.

Do you really want those 3 or is it just habit? How much did you smoke before?

If your only smoking 3 a day I'd say it would be pretty easy from there to go down to 0 .

Hopefully they'll be more post's here with more experience than us newbies.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #4
(female)

djm310 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janpo1 View Post
I'm on day 3 of taking chantix and also waiting for the pill to "kick" in.

Do you really want those 3 or is it just habit? How much did you smoke before?

If your only smoking 3 a day I'd say it would be pretty easy from there to go down to 0 .

Hopefully they'll be more post's here with more experience than us newbies.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
(female)

djm310 HB User

I'm not even sure how to reply, but here goes. I have some cravings, but the drug works like a miracle. Most of the day I walk around amazed that I am okay and not going crazy like I did when I tried to quit before. And I am not overeating at all. I don't know why I am still on the 3 a day, maybe fear, I don't know.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

janpo1 HB User

How much did you smoke before?

Old 04-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

Hi New Posters: Glad to have you w/ us and CONGRATULATIONS on your decision to become quitters. Everyone seems to have some of the same side effects from Chantix and others have side effects that are somewhat unique to them. Bottom line: we're all different what happened w/ one person isn't necessarily what's gonna happen with someone else. I think that's what's so great about posting: we can compare notes and symptoms and experiences.

I've had very few side effects....mostly extreme tiredness in the beginning. Everything I went thru (which wasn't all that much) was well worth it. I've been quit almost three months. In fact, May 1st will be my last pill.

I love no longer smoking and you will, too!! Oh, yes -- I was terrified at the beginning as to what things were gonna be like on Chantix. I, too, had suffered horrible withdrawal with other quits. For me, nothing can compare with the Chantix....it's been my magic pill.

Keep coming back and posting. It's a tremendous help!! BEST WISHES!!

Old 04-19-2007, 07:11 PM   #8
(female)

wolfluvr HB User

Hey djm,I know what you are going through,It took me three weeks on the chantix before I woke up one morning and said enough,I have to help it work.And I still find myself smoking the occasional cigg.But only one in a day and as of today none so far.I dont know what it is with some of us that do that its nuts.well actually you and I are the only ones I have seen admit too it lol!Keep trying....I smoked for over 40 years and couldnt even take my trash can to the curb and now I can...I will never look back.........be strong

Old 04-19-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi djm310!
Welcome to the message board. Glad to have you here.

I'll bet I know why you are still smoking those 3 a day.
You're scared of what will happen to you if you don't. "The unknown."
The 3 hardest ones for me to give up were: first thing in the morning when I got up, after supper, and before bed. I was used to smoking at those times. Had been doing it for 40 years!! But I knew if I could just not smoke that first one in the morning that I could do it. The habit had as much to with it as the addiction.

See if you can not smoke that first one. I'll bet you could do it. You are going to have to let go sometime. How about tomorrow?
Good Luck to you!!

Hi theycallmemom!
Welcome to you, too. This message board is the best on the internet!!
Glad to have you join us.

Congratulations on your decision to become smoke free!!
I hope the Chantix works as well for you as it did for me. I quit last August and am still amazed that I don't smoke!! Don't worry about the cravings. The Chantix will take care of that. You may get urges or small cravings. But they are totally controllable!! The Chantix helps you to say No! to nicodemon. I had a little trouble with the habit part. The habit is when you light up just because that is the time you always used to light up, not because you need it. You will learn the difference between NEEDING one and WANTING one. Needing is the addiction, wanting is the habit. I want a great big bowl of butter pecan ice cream, but I don't need one. Same thing with cigarettes.
Let the Chantix do its job. You will be okay!!
Good Luck to you!!

janpo1,
Give the Chantix time. It will "kick in" in a couple of days.
I know you are ready to quit. But the Chantix has to have time to build up in your body before it can work properly. That is why you keep smoking that first week or so. Just have a little patients and in a few days, you'll be smoke free!! (Sounds good, doesn't it!!?)
Good Luck to you!!

wolfluvr,
Hi! Welcome to the message board!!

Can I ask you why you are smoking an occasional cigarette? You will never be smoke free until you stop completely.

If you aren't willing to stop completely, why are you taking the Chantix?
I, too, smoked for 40 years. I didn't think I could ever stop. I didn't even think the Chantix would work for me!! I'm soooo glad it did.
If you still have cigarettes in the house, throw them away!! They are too much of a temptation for you. You can do this!!

I am addicted to nicotine. I can never have another one as long as I live.
Brenda82560 has a saying....N.O.P.E. Not One Puff Ever.
I am just one puff away from being a pack a day smoker again.
Good Luck to you!!

All of you, please keep posting and let everyone know how you are doing. We want to help in any way we can.
Good Luck everyone!!

Memaw

Old 04-19-2007, 08:15 PM   #10
(female)

Linda May HB User

New to this -- I'm reading all posts and becoming encouraged --thinking maybe I, too, can quit with this new pill. I've been a smoker 45 years, 1-2 packs a day. I barely have a voice left and was told to quit by several doctors.

Question: so many of you say nausea is a problem with this RX. I have ulcers, a hiatal hernia and GERD. I also suffer nausea here and there throughout the day. Will I be able to tolerate this new drug?

My insurance won't pay for this drug either, and I have no idea what it costs BUT must be cheaper than cigarettes, and certainly less than cancer treatments!

Old 04-19-2007, 10:48 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi Linda May!!
Welcome to the message board!!

Well, I don't know if you will be able to take this drug. Talk to your doctor about this. See if he/she can give you a sample starter pack. Mine did. I got the first month free.

Had to buy the other two months since my insurance did not cover it. Some insurance plans do. But the cost for me was a little more than a pack a day addiction. I paid about $120 for 30 days supply. You can shop around and maybe get it cheaper. Someone said Costco was the cheapest and you don't have to have a membership to get it there.

I want to urge you to stop smoking by what ever method is right to you. If you can not take the Chantix there are other methods out there that work for lots of people. A few years ago my brother was hypnotized. He quit for over 3 years. He had some pretty bad stress in his life and started back. He is still smoking for right now. But my point is, if one thing doesn't work, try something else. Don't quit trying!!

Continue to read this message board. It will help to give you inspiration to quit. Let us know if we can help you in any way.

Good Luck to you!

Memaw

Old 04-19-2007, 11:12 PM   #12
(female)

djm310 HB User

Thanks so much....it really has helped to get everybody's emails and support. It is fear. I'm sure of it. I did, however, get through a couple of tense situations today without lighting up (like a first date!!). I'm going to stay in touch with how I'm doing...it probably helps to be accountable.
Thanks again,
Deborah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memaw649 View Post
Hi djm310!
Welcome to the message board. Glad to have you here.

I'll bet I know why you are still smoking those 3 a day.
You're scared of what will happen to you if you don't. "The unknown."
The 3 hardest ones for me to give up were: first thing in the morning when I got up, after supper, and before bed. I was used to smoking at those times. Had been doing it for 40 years!! But I knew if I could just not smoke that first one in the morning that I could do it. The habit had as much to with it as the addiction.

See if you can not smoke that first one. I'll bet you could do it. You are going to have to let go sometime. How about tomorrow?
Good Luck to you!!

Hi theycallmemom!
Welcome to you, too. This message board is the best on the internet!!
Glad to have you join us.

Congratulations on your decision to become smoke free!!
I hope the Chantix works as well for you as it did for me. I quit last August and am still amazed that I don't smoke!! Don't worry about the cravings. The Chantix will take care of that. You may get urges or small cravings. But they are totally controllable!! The Chantix helps you to say No! to nicodemon. I had a little trouble with the habit part. The habit is when you light up just because that is the time you always used to light up, not because you need it. You will learn the difference between NEEDING one and WANTING one. Needing is the addiction, wanting is the habit. I want a great big bowl of butter pecan ice cream, but I don't need one. Same thing with cigarettes.
Let the Chantix do its job. You will be okay!!
Good Luck to you!!

janpo1,
Give the Chantix time. It will "kick in" in a couple of days.
I know you are ready to quit. But the Chantix has to have time to build up in your body before it can work properly. That is why you keep smoking that first week or so. Just have a little patients and in a few days, you'll be smoke free!! (Sounds good, doesn't it!!?)
Good Luck to you!!

wolfluvr,
Hi! Welcome to the message board!!

Can I ask you why you are smoking an occasional cigarette? You will never be smoke free until you stop completely.

If you aren't willing to stop completely, why are you taking the Chantix?
I, too, smoked for 40 years. I didn't think I could ever stop. I didn't even think the Chantix would work for me!! I'm soooo glad it did.
If you still have cigarettes in the house, throw them away!! They are too much of a temptation for you. You can do this!!

I am addicted to nicotine. I can never have another one as long as I live.
Brenda82560 has a saying....N.O.P.E. Not One Puff Ever.
I am just one puff away from being a pack a day smoker again.
Good Luck to you!!

All of you, please keep posting and let everyone know how you are doing. We want to help in any way we can.
Good Luck everyone!!

Memaw

Old 04-20-2007, 10:33 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

theycallmemom HB User

Linda May, I have GERD too, and take Nexium for it, I take the Chantix with the Nexium and have had no problems with nausea so far - but for me, I dont even care at this point if i do feel nauseous, Im not stopping this med!

Im scared and anxious - but I want t quit so bad !! I think I smokd more then usual yesterday - like the last hurrah - letting go of an old friend so to speak....

Old 04-20-2007, 04:37 PM   #14
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Hello all you newbies and oh, I feel your pain. I know you are scared to give up those last few cigs - smoking one or 3 a day - you have to give them up for good. No more, not even just one. Why bother if its just one? It is hard to give up a part of your life that has been with you for so long. But you absolutely must. IT will get easier after 2 or 3 days of no smokes. So, for that first day, I would suggest keeping so busy with cleaning or an activity where there is no smoking allowed. Clean all remnants or reminders of smoking out of the house. We cleaned our house top to bottom that first weekend - my hubby and I quit together and today we are 8 weeks smoke-free. It was hard getting thru that first weekend - oh boy - the thoughts of smoking were everywhere. Clean the house, smoke a cig, mop the floor, take a smoke break, oh wait I don't do that anymore, guess I'll just clean some more. It was hard, trust me pal, but we got thru it. Then came Monday morning - uh oh, first morning back to work and no smoking - no problem - that wasn't too hard. All day at work - no smoking - whew - that was tough, but I did it!! Getting home that first day - usually ran out back to have one - nope - couldn't do it. Hmmm - this isn't so bad - I hardly even want one! It's more just the habit. So you must keep yourself busy - I was on this computer 24/7 those first few weeks - reading, posting and spending hours relating my stories and reading others. It was my salvation.

Anyways - what I'm saying is - it will get easier, and just keep a positive attitude. It's the greatest thing in the world to be a non-smoker - I'm tellin ya!!!

Old 04-20-2007, 06:12 PM   #15
(female)

djm310 HB User

Thank you all so much. I hesitated writing here, thinking it wouldn't help, but it definately does. I have Monday as an absolutely no turning back quit day. Hearing how you all did it really does help.
I'm pretty sure I can do it...I went today all day until 5:30.
Thanks again!!

Closed Thread