It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 05:43 AM   #1
(female)

SarieB HB User
Chantix script

Hi everyone

I have a question/concern about my prescription.

The doctor that prescribed it told me he's heard great things about it but it is very new and did not know much other than what he has heard. Told me to search the internet for info about it (which is how I found this board and I'm glad I have).

He tells me I am his first patient he has prescribed this for, he wasn't even sure if the pharmacies were stocked with it, since it is so new (New but not as new as he thought, I guess)

I took my 4th pill last nite (taking it after dinner). I can tell its doing something but not enough for me to not get up and go buy another pack of smokes. I am so tired of smoking, coughing, smelling bad, sneaking around, listening to my son lecture me, burning my clothes, hair, and a million other reasons.

I want this to work! I am also taking Lexapro for anxiety (before the Chantix) so I figured if I'm already calmer, I should quit smoking too.

Anyway, the prescription is for 60 .05mg pills with 3 refills. He told me to take 1/day for week and 2/day after that.

There are no 1mg pills. Should I call him? Will 2 (.05) pills a day be enough to help me?

Old 04-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

janpo1 HB User
Re: Chantix script

Hi and welcome!

I'm on my 4th day of chantix. I start the two pill doseage today.

didn't your prescription come in 4 seperate boxes? I didn't know it was sold in just prescription bottles.

Honestly~ i would call your dr and tell him exactly what you have and ask him how he wants you to take it.

Have you noticed a difference in your cig smoking? Does it taste bad etc?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
(female)

SarieB HB User

So I should take 2 pills today?

Old 04-20-2007, 08:18 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

theycallmemom HB User

Mine came in 4 boxes, the first 3 days I am to take the one pill, then days 4 through 7 go up to 2 pills (I think the dose is .05 mg) then the next week it goes up to the whole mg twice a day.

Im still smoking as usual, though am making myself more aware of when I am smoking. Still dont feel any different, my sister says that Ineed to chill out and let the drug work, she didnt think it would work and didnt try and she quit anyway!

I am praying it works - I agree cant stand being a smoker anymore - hate the smell, just want to be free of being chained to a teeny weeny ball and chain!

Old 04-21-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi Sarie B.,
Welcome to the message board!!

The way Pfizer advises taking this medicine is:
Day 1-3 White tablet (0,5mg), 1 tablet each day
Day 4-7 White tablet (0.5mg), twice a day
1 in the morning and 1 in the evening
Day 8-end Blue tablet (1mg) twice a day

Print this out and take it to your doctor. Or call him and tell him what you have found out.

I want to congratulate you on your decision to become heathy. Stopping smoking is the very best thing you could ever do for yourself.
All that stuff that you listed that you are so tired of will be a thing of the past very soon. Doesn't that sound exciting?!!
I took the Chantix and have been quit for 8 months and 1 week.
I hope it works as well for you as it did for me.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 04-24-2007, 08:10 AM   #6
(female)

SarieB HB User

I've started taking the .05 twice a day now and although I can tell it helps with the cravings, the boredom is taking over at times and I find my self lighting up....so I stopped buying them and attempted to stop altogether.

My sister smokes and lives with me so I know I can grab one when I need to. Did that for a day or so then broke down and bought another pack

But I've left it at home and come to work anyway. I am fine when no one is around me that smokes. I know longer feel the need to "sneak away" for a puff.

I am still concerned that I might not have a strong enough dose to help me completely quit though. Maybe I can sleep whenever I am not at work. /sigh I suppose not.

Oh yea and I forgot to mention ...

I havent told anyone at work that I have quit or am trying to yet because around here they are just waiting for someone to fail anything so they can laugh at that person. The kind of people that measure thier own life by how much better it is than the next person. Smoking is on the top of the list around here for making you a "loser".

And yesterday I was in a terribly fould and crabby mood, but I'm not sure why. I have incredible amounts of stress in my life right now but not suddenly increased except for the quit smoking part.

Last edited by SarieB; 04-24-2007 at 08:18 AM. Reason: forgot to mention

Old 04-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Jwande HB User

I was still having pretty good cravings until I went to the full dose. Big difference. You still have to WANT to quit. You will have to fight the cravings and manage your triggers. I talk like a pro at day 2, but that is what I am going through right now.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:13 PM   #8
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

Hi SarieB: Congratulations on your decision to become a quitter!! It's the best gift you'll ever give yourself.

Did you get your pill situation resolved? Sounds like your physician either prescribed it incorrectly or the pharmacy filled it incorrectly, 'cause what Meemaw said is the way it's supposed to be dispensed and taken.

Best Wishes in your quit and come back often to let us know how you're doing.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:34 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi SarieB!
Hang in there. The Chantix will work. But you've got to help it. When the time to quit gets here, you will see a big difference in your need to smoke. Right now, try not to smoke unless you need it, not want it. There is a difference.
Try to postpone smoking for 5 minutes.

You're going to do just fine. Don't get discouraged. You are suppose to still be smoking the first week on Chantix. It takes about a week for the drug to build up in your system. Then you should be able to tell a big difference.

Jwande, Way to go!! It helps to help others!! Be generous with your experiences. That's what this message board is all about!!

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 04-25-2007, 07:46 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Philmajor HB User

Hi SarieB,

Try not to give into the boredom cigs. Find something, anything to do! I would clean the kitchen or bathroom. It wasn't fun but it helped pass the time and lord knows something always needs to be wiped off I have found that taking a walk, reading, or eating helps to pass the time when I felt like smoking out of boredom. I'm on day 4 without smoking and last evening was a tough night. I really felt the craving and actually thought of just having a quick puff or two but I washed the bathroom floor instead (can't smoke if you're hands are wet). So far today, I'm okay.

I think that anything you can do to pass the time is better then puffing on a cig. As someone said in an earlier post somewhere 'SMOKING IS NOT AN OPTION" Just keep saying that to yourself and eventually it will be true.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User
Cool Re: Chantix script

Hi Sarie!

Memaw shared with you a while back on how Chantix is normally prescribed as a stop smoking aid. Your doctor apparently is either not aware of recommended dosages or simply chose to give you a lower dose. If you are still concerned that the dosage prescribed is too low, do what Memaw and others have suggested and call your doctor. Good luck to you. Congrats on your decision to QUIT smoking.

Best Wishes,

Sapphire

Old 04-25-2007, 01:53 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User

The way Pfizer advises taking this medicine is:
Day 1-3 White tablet (0,5mg), 1 tablet each day
Day 4-7 White tablet (0.5mg), twice a day
Day 8-end Blue tablet (1mg) twice a day

Print this out and take it to your doctor. Or call him and tell him what you have found out.

Memaw[/QUOTE]

This is Pfizers recommendation. Sapphire

Old 04-25-2007, 08:07 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

SarieB,
How are you doing today?
Have you talked to your doctor? What did he say?
Hang in there. It won't be long before you are a non smoker too!
It is the most awesome feeling in the world!! Well worth any discomfort you might have. Please keep coming to the message board. Lots of people here to help inspire you.

Good Luck to you!
Memaw

Closed Thread