It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
(female)

barbiw HB User
Red face Frustrated weight gain w/Chantix-HELP!!!

Hi I used Chantix to quit smoking-my quit date was March 2nd-Chantix made it pretty easy, I smoked for 23 years. As soon as I started taking Chantix I had bloating and constipation-cut my dose in half and things got better. I have gained 10 pounds in the process. 4years ago I lost 40 pounds and have been on a low GI diet ever since and have maintained the weight loss. So this 10 pounds is completely freaking me out-I can not get it to budge. I weaned myself off Chantix and have been completly off for about a 9 days. I am extremely frustrated. Do you think my metabolism has slowed that much from not smoking? I am very conscious of what I eat and have not increased have been very controlled and increased activity-walking dogs and light weight lifting. Any thoughts, help, suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

theycallmemom HB User
Re: Frustrated weight gain w/Chantix-HELP!!!

Yikes!! I want to know too - has anyne else gained alot on chantix/quitting? I do not need to gain anything!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2007, 01:38 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

I gained nothing on Chantix but since stopping it 5 weeks ago I have been really struggling not to gain weight. My calorie intake has not increased but my level of exercise has dramatically increased i.e I cycle 2o miles regularly, walk several miles 3 times a week and play badminton twice a week. This means I am constantly hungry through so much exercise but have gained 1 pound per week. I am really miffed. Memaw, evidently gained weight after stopping the med but she says she was eating more. My guess is that our bodies take some time to settle down after quitting re metabolism and that it will all sort itself out eventually. It had better do. But , hey, I feel absolutely brilliant. Fit, energetic, and really well every day. It is just amazing.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi barbiw!
Welcome to the message board.

About the weight gain...I gained after I got off the Chantix. But like True Brit said, it was from overeating during the holidays. I have since taken it off.

I found this information in the forever free booklets from the web site smokefree.gov:
The average person gains 4-10 pounds even if they have the same level of exercise and eat the same about of food. The more cigarettes you smoked will likely cause you to gain more weight. If you smoked 2 packs a day, you will gain more than a pack a day person.
After about 6 months most ex-smokers tend to lose the weight as their bodies adjust to being non-smokers. The nicotine raises your metabolism. When you quit smoking your metabolism slows down to a more normal level. Sometimes it slows a little more. It will take a little while for this to level out. The slower rate burns fewer calories. Exercise is the best way to raise your metabolism.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear. But a few pounds is still better than smoking!! The weight will eventually come off. You may have to diet or exercise more to help it along. But even with the 10 extrra pounds, you are still healthier than you were before you quit. That's what matters the most.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 04-22-2007, 02:32 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Roll on adjustment after 6 months. I can't do any more exersise than I do now and I'm HUNGRY!!!! I really, really do not want to gain weight. If I had to choose between being obese or being a smoker, well,..... no contest!!!!
Thanks Memaw for the info. You are, as always, a big help with wonderful practical advice.

Last edited by True Brit; 04-22-2007 at 02:33 AM.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
(female)

Izzy51 HB User

Hi. I'm 5 1/2 months quit with Commmit Lozenge. Gained 3 pounds first 3 1/2months with the lozenge. Quit the lozenge 2 months ago. Bloated and constipated these last 2 months and gained another 3 pounds. Walk 4 miles everyday and am watching everything I eat. I don't think it's just the Chantix. Anyone quit longer than 6 months? Can you say when the weight settles down?( without becoming an anorexic??!! ) (Smoked 2 1/2 packs a day for 35 years) Also heard the more you smoked and the longer the time - you'll gain more!!

Old 04-22-2007, 05:36 PM   #7
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

Hi Barbi: What Meemaw said hits the nail on the head. You have to exercise pretty vigorously. Not only will that help you not gain weight, it's good for you. I'm like TrueBrit: I can't exercise any more than I am -- gym 5-6 times a week for an hour. But, I'm not hungry. I've lost 5 lbs. since being on Chantix 'cause my appetite just isn't the same.

When I made the decision to quit w/ Chantix, I accepted the fact that I was gonna gain weight because I expected to. I figured I'd rather gain 10 lbs. or so rather than continue killing myself by smoking.

Good Luck!

Old 04-22-2007, 10:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

I gained 15 pounds after I quit smoking, but I don't know if the quitting or the depression I've had for a few months caused me to gain (yes, I know it was all the extra food I ate ). I lost the 15 pounds in the past 3 months by eating less and exercising. I am a little bummed because I had a therapist appointment on Friday and the therapist got really down on me for losing the weight so fast because I told her I was basically "starving" myself. If I eat 1000 calories a day, I starve. I told her I was eating 1000 colories and she had a fit, she said this is not enough. I just can't win. Sometime I think to myself... I can't eat, smoke, drink caffeine, drink alcohol... life is sure not fun anymore.

Sorry, I'm just down a bit since that appointment.

Happy new week everyone!!!

Old 04-22-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi Izzy!
Congratulations on being smoke free for 5 1/2 months!! Wonderful!!!! There was someone on here yesterday or day before that was asking about the lozenges. They were getting addicted to them and were afraid to give them up after about month, I think. How long did you use them and did you have any trouble getting off of them?

Oh I don't think it's just the Chantix either. I think it's stopping the nicotine.
From what I've read about weight gain and stopping smoking, most everyone is going to gain a few pounds. Trish and True Brit had really been working hard to not gain weight. But most people don't that. Also the more you smoke, the more weight you gain after you stop.

I'm overweight anyway. I could lose at least 50 pounds!! But when I put on 18 pounds from the first of Novermber to the first of January, I knew I was in deep trouble. I started dieting in January and took off the 18 pounds in about 2 months. But I still can't take off the 50 pounds that I need to lose!!! Need to get back on the diet.

Hopsing, of course you are doing good!! You are always so positive in your posts! I really like your attitude. You amaze me, lady.

Good Luck to everyone!!

Memaw

Old 04-22-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy51 View Post
Hi. I'm 5 1/2 months quit !
Congratulations Izzy51!!!

5 1/2 months is awesome!!!

Old 04-22-2007, 10:28 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Traveller,
Years ago the doctors used to tell us to go on 1000 calories a day to lose weight. Now how much do they want us to eat? I think 1000 calories should be enough to get the nutrition that a body needs. If I remember correctly from my weight watcher days, I ate 1200 calories. But they may do it differently now. My mama used do the 1000 calorie to lose fast too.

Smoking never helped me lose weight. Eating less did, but not smoking.
Cheer up!! Just look at how fabulous you look now!! Wished I could do it!!
I just don't have the willpower. If it wasn't for the Chantix, I would still be smoking. I have no willpower when it comes to improving myself.

Memaw

Old 04-23-2007, 05:52 AM   #12
(female)

Izzy51 HB User

Hi Memaw! You asked about the addiction to Commit lozenge. Supposed to cut down and quit by 3 months. Absolutely addicting!! I went from 4 mg to 2 mg nicotine at 3 months at 3 a day. Stayed on an extra 2 1/2 weeks! Met a woman still on them after 3 years...whoa!!! Decided that was it. Didn't want to have to go through that. Quitting was intense. I'm off them 2 months now.

Could of stayed on them forever...that's kind of scary..stay strong all!!

Thanks for all good wishes..and same to all you!!

Old 04-23-2007, 06:27 AM   #13
(female)

barbiw HB User

Thanks so much for your replys! I was begining to think I was going crazy-I guess I will have to continue, increase exercise and just give myself a little more time to lose the weight this time. It just rally sucks having my clothes not fit or feel horribly uncomfortable!

Old 04-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #14
(female)

eflesher HB User

When I first started taking Chantix about a month ago I immediately noticed that I was overly tired, hungry a lot, and exercising was difficult. I persisted and continued picking up the pace. I couldn't bear the thought of living with those side effects for another month +. I only take one pill each day with breakfast. This has dramatically reduced my side effects and the weight is coming off quickly. I walk the steps at work (14 flights) once or twice a day. On weekends I mountain bike/do houswork and I am maintaining a healthy weight (i'm 5'2 and I weigh about 126-128). It is also important to remember that weight gain may not be a good indicator. Questions I ask myself are:
1. can I exercise comfortably?
(am I out of breath, too tired to exercise - often when I am out of shape it is more difficult to exercise so I do it for less time more often)
2. do my clothes fit properly? (i've been wearing the same size clothes for quite some time now and if they get snug its time to cut back on the pizza and get out and do more - I will be 30 in 6 months and I have a 10-year old so I keep a close eye on this)
3. I eat a good, healthy, balanced diet low in calories in fat as much as possible and I cook almost all of our meals from scratch to avoid trans fats and hidden preservatives/sodium that would contribute to weight gain

In short, you could be retaining water, gaining muscle, any number of things. Take the focus away from your weight and more to your "gut" feelings. If you are near your recommended weight range/bmi, are comfortable in your clothes, and can get out there and exercise and have fun don't worry about it. If you are short of your goal in any of those areas, there is no substitute for drinking more water, exercising more, and eating healthy foods.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Traveller,
Honey, I know you are having a very hard time right now. Just hang tough!
Don't give up. With a lot of hard work it will get better. Sometimes it doesn't seem that way, I know. Call your therapist when you feel you need to! That's what she's there for. Make her earn her money!!

You are such an inspiration to everyone on this board! I don't know if I have ever thanked you for welcoming me and befriending me on this board. It really means a lot to me. (See you are making friends...cyber friends!)
Good Luck to you! I'll be praying that you get the relief you need!

Memaw

Closed Thread