It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2007, 01:28 PM   #1
(female)

michele1975 HB User
Need to vent

I'm having a rough time right now so sorry in advance for my venting. It helps me to get on here.

I got through the week fairly decent but today has been very hard. Why can't I get cigarettes out of my head? I try to do something to take my mind off it but I end up thinking about them and it's driving me nuts!! I smoked on Saturday last weekend but went back to the patch the next day so I think the weekends are probably the hardest for me. My hubby quit cold turkey and is having no problems and I can't hardly get through with the patch!! No one is home right now so that makes it harder. I just hate that the addiction is still haunting me. I want to get through the day without thinking about smoking!! Will it ever happen? I feel so depressed right now.

Thanks for listening!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User
Re: Need to vent

D'you know the saying "use it or lose it"? Eventually, if you don't smoke, you will start to forget about it bit by bit. I've heard it takes a whole year to become a genuine non smoker and if you have been very emotionally attached to smoking, it is natural to think about it. When you think about smoking try to think about the positive aspects of quitting such as more energy etc. This way you will reinforce a positive mindset. My advice is go with the flow however long it takes.

Last edited by True Brit; 04-21-2007 at 01:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
(female)

michele1975 HB User

That's the thing I don't feel anything positive from quitting. I'm so frustrated with that. I read everyones post and I'm jealous! LOL!

The weather is nice so maybe I will take a walk. Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

How long have you been quit Michele? I could probably find your quit date in another thread, but I'm lazy.

It's going to take longer than a week or two.... I figured I smoked 2 packs a day for 25 years and I'm not going to break that habit, mentally or physically, in a short period of time. That nicodemon is a powerful evil being.

Go for that walk and good luck with the cravings ... I went to Macys, they are having a sale today.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Hi Michele,

I can really relate to what you are saying. It is taking everything in me not to go to the store and buy cigarettes today. My cravings are really strong. You're right, it seems to be worse on the weekends. I get through the weekdays not bad while I'm working, but I get pretty lonely on the weekends, and that's when I crave. I have to keep reminding myself of why I quit. Also, I don't want to let everyone down - the girl at work who quit with me, my friends, family, etc.

I'm probably overdosing on nicotine today as I'm on the patch, have had 2 nicorette gums, and am sucking on my nicotine inhaler! I'll probably have a heart attack now after quitting smoking! LOL

I have found over the years that men seem to be able to quit easier than women. Not sure why.

Hang in there. Just keep telling yourself to "hold on". Honestly, I don't know how much more of this I can take myself and if this goes on for months, I might lose it. How do people quit forever?

Anyway, good luck to you. Hope you can make it through the weekend okay.

Sherry.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:05 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele1975 View Post
I'm having a rough time right now so sorry in advance for my venting. It helps me to get on here.

I got through the week fairly decent but today has been very hard. Why can't I get cigarettes out of my head? I try to do something to take my mind off it but I end up thinking about them and it's driving me nuts!! I smoked on Saturday last weekend but went back to the patch the next day so I think the weekends are probably the hardest for me. My hubby quit cold turkey and is having no problems and I can't hardly get through with the patch!! No one is home right now so that makes it harder. I just hate that the addiction is still haunting me. I want to get through the day without thinking about smoking!! Will it ever happen? I feel so depressed right now.

Thanks for listening!
michele,
The depression is from the withdrawal of smoking, even though you are on the patch. It has only been one week since you took your last puff. Please do not give in to temptation. I hope you have gotten rid of all of your cigarettes in the house. If not, do it now!!! That would be too much of temptation for you. The first week is always hard. But if you just don't cave, it will get easier. Have you made a list of why you want to quit smoking? If so, look it to remind yourself. If not, make one.
Keep a journal and when you start feeling like this, write it down. It will give you something to do with you hands and it will also be a reminder for you of what you had to endure to become healthy!!
IT WILL HAPPEN FOR YOU!!!
Remember The cravings will pass whether you smoke or not!!!
Keep repeating..Smoking is no longer an option.

Come on in here and rant and rave and cry if you need to. You do whatever you have to do to NOT smoke that cigarette.
We really do understand. All I can tell you is that it WILL get better if you don't smoke. If you do smoke, you'll just have to go through this all over again. You don't want to do that now, do you?

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 04-22-2007, 08:04 AM   #7
(female)

michele1975 HB User

I made it through the day yesterday. When my husband got home I talked with him and that helped. It also helped to vent on here so thank you for listening and for the advice.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Michele,
Way to Go!! Knew you could do it!!
Keep it up!

Memaw

Old 04-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
(female)

michele1975 HB User