It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
(male)

Zebadee HB User
nicotine inhaler

I'm trying to quit but everytime I try I go back to smoking especially when I'm stressed and have a lot of thoughts on my mind, so I saw the nicotine inhaler and it seems like a good way to start again. I was wondering whether they are effective, because the reason I smoke a cigarette is that I can feel the stress release from my body as the smoke inhales, when I get light headed from the cigarette the stress and all my thoughts become non existent and 'exit' my body, will the nicotine inhaler have the same effect or does it just dose some nicotine in me without the effect of becoming light headed?

I'm not addicted to the nicotine as much, I'm more addicted to the smoke 'clearing' my brain of the stress and thoughts I have. Sorry if I'm not making myself clear here....

Old 04-22-2007, 08:24 AM   #2
(female)

Fibrana HB User
Re: nicotine inhaler

Hi Gooner,

I love the inhaler! If you inhale fairly deeply on it, you can get light-headed. I'm also using the patch, but use the inhaler as a backup for rough times. It's almost like smoking a cigarette. I've quit for 18 days now. A friend of mine who quit with me is using the inhaler only and loves it. It's great because it gives you something to hold in your hand. I only use one cartridge a day, so it is pretty reasonable.

Best of luck!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
(male)

Zebadee HB User

Ok, so does it give the instant feeling of stress release??

Old 04-23-2007, 05:59 AM   #4
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Yes, I think it does Gooner. You'll have to try it. Only costs about $1/day if you only use one cartridge. If you are only using the inhaler, you can use up to around 12 cartridges a day. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

I have been using the inhaler for several years but used it only when I couldn't smoke like in a plane.In march I decided to use it like it should be used and yes I did use up to 16 a day. I did not miss smoking at all until my husband was rushed to the hospital with blood clots in both lungs I then needed the real cig and did smoke for several days until I thought this is so stupid since the inhaler was working fine. I stopped smoking and started the inhaler again. My doctor wanted me to try chantix a few months back but after reading about some of the side effects that I told my doctor about he agreed with me to not use a drug without a history and continue with the inhaler.it does work.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:20 AM   #6
(male)

Zebadee HB User

Good good. Does it just does nicotine into your body or other chemicals as well??

Old 04-23-2007, 10:14 AM   #7
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Just nicotine as far as I know. Why don't you do an internet search on it. I'm sure you'll find lots of information. I just use it and love it!

Old 04-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Hi Fibrana
If you love the inhaler so much are you a bit concerned about becoming addicted to that instead of cigarettes. I know it's safer but it isn't designed for long term use. I know a couple of people who have been chewing nicotine gum for years and years and can't get off it. In fact the drug companies are constantly inventing more and more delicious flavours. I wonder why

Old 04-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
(male)

Zebadee HB User

I've just bought the nicotine inhaler, put one of those doses into the inhaler and am breathing off it from the thin end, but it's not working very well, I'm breathing deeply and I'm not getting a head rush or anything... am I doing something wrong?? I'm breathing from the thin end instead of the fat round end.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:15 AM   #10
(male)

Zebadee HB User

P.S. I get this tingling in the back of my throat and it makes me want to cough, I can't taste any menthol or anything (reviews said that it should taste nice)...

Old 04-23-2007, 11:22 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Brit View Post
Hi Fibrana
If you love the inhaler so much are you a bit concerned about becoming addicted to that instead of cigarettes. I know it's safer but it isn't designed for long term use. I know a couple of people who have been chewing nicotine gum for years and years and can't get off it. In fact the drug companies are constantly inventing more and more delicious flavours. I wonder why
No it is not for long term use but if you want to use it instead of smoking for long term use I am sure it is better then smoking. Yes they did also change the flavor of the gum so one could chew it without getting sick.These are all different ways to stop smoking just like chantix but have been around much longer and we really do not know enough about chantix to try the unknown like what did that little pill do to your health a few years down the road. Remember fen Phen?

Old 04-23-2007, 11:32 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner View Post
I've just bought the nicotine inhaler, put one of those doses into the inhaler and am breathing off it from the thin end, but it's not working very well, I'm breathing deeply and I'm not getting a head rush or anything... am I doing something wrong?? I'm breathing from the thin end instead of the fat round end.
I know it is working when I take my first inhale I cough. I can also taste it in the back of my throat. The thing I love about it is that you are supposed to use it for 20 min but you can also put it down and do some house work or whatever and then start using it again.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:59 AM   #13
(female)

Fibrana HB User

I don't really taste any menthol either. You just get a nice "hit" or "tingling" that kind of feels like smoking. Make sure that both foil ends have been punctured. You can drag on it deeply or take small drags.

True Brit - - I know, I am worried about getting addicted to the inhaler, but I don't use it too often. Usually just after a meal. I'm also on the patch, so I don't want to overdo it. I mostly chew on the cinnamon sticks.

My dad quit smoking 10 years ago and chewed the nicotine gum for 10 years!!! About 20 pieces or more everday! He finally just chews normal gum now. It's still better than smoking I guess to use these aids, but I realize they shouldn't be used for long-term.

Good luck with the inhaler Gooner.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

You're right Lorriem.
We don't know the effects of Chantix yet and I for one will NEVER take it again due to the horrific experience of getting off it and some of the side effects reported are really worrying. I imagine thousands of people will stay on HRT for life. This apparently makes them less likely to get Parkinsons disease or senile dementia due to stimulting the brain.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:09 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Just wish when I was 15 I didn't think it was so cool to smoke.I wouldn't be having this discussion.

Closed Thread