It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
(female)

Trish M&M HB User
TrueBrit: Question for ya

Hi TrueBrit: This question doesn't have anything to do w/ smoking, altho I am gonna be able to weave smoking into the post

Have you seen the movie "Notes on a Scandal"? I watched it on DVD last night. I really enjoyed it, altho I did have a bit of difficulty understanding some of the dialogue. You all have an accent My question: during the xmas scenes, people were wearing paper hats while dining. What's that all about..the hats?

And to smoking: the woman in one of the lead roles smoked so much, I thought I was gonna throw up watching her. And to think....69 days ago I was her!!!! I just LOVE being a non-smoker with all my heart and soul. (Now, then, how was that for staying on topic?!?! )

Old 04-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User
Re: TrueBrit: Question for ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish M&M View Post
Hi TrueBrit: This question doesn't have anything to do w/ smoking, altho I am gonna be able to weave smoking into the post

Have you seen the movie "Notes on a Scandal"? I watched it on DVD last night. I really enjoyed it, altho I did have a bit of difficulty understanding some of the dialogue. You all have an accent My question: during the xmas scenes, people were wearing paper hats while dining. What's that all about..the hats?

:and soul. (Now, then, how was that for staying on topic?!?! )
Sorry Trish, havn't seen it yet. The paper hats come in Xmas crackers. After pulling your cracker you are meant to wear the hat. All Xmas parties here are full of people who are full of booze wearing silly hats. Don't you do that??? As for the heavy smoking on screen, imagine in a few years time folks will watch old movies totally amazed at people smoking INDOORS shock horror!!! How's the sleeping???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
(male)

DeadFish HB User

Uh, what does 'pulling your cracker' mean?

In order to follow the 'smoke' as it were, have either of you (or anyone else) noticed your own attitudes regarding smoking in a movie/tv changed?
Mostly noticing the 'bad guy' being a smoker in more new stuff, almost like wearing a 'black hat'. Oooh, back to the hat thread!
Does the wearing of the silly hat mean your cracker has been pulled?
Seriously though, I get a bit pissy being reminded I'm out of the smoking business when watching a film. Oh, I can control my own mind about bringing smoking up, but I see someone in a 'period piece' where everyone is smoking and I find myself mentally drooling.... Try watching Humphrey Bogart for a real test!

Best Regards!
DeadFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Brit View Post
Sorry Trish, havn't seen it yet. The paper hats come in Xmas crackers. After pulling your cracker you are meant to wear the hat. All Xmas parties here are full of people who are full of booze wearing silly hats. Don't you do that??? As for the heavy smoking on screen, imagine in a few years time folks will watch old movies totally amazed at people smoking INDOORS shock horror!!! How's the sleeping???

Old 04-23-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintime321 View Post
[url]http://en.****pedia.org/****/Christmas_cracker[/url]
Thanks Justin, saved my bacon trying to describe a Christmas Cracker. Please check out the internet to see what you have been missing. In Harrods you can but Xmas crackers with diamonds inside for BIG money at Christmas. Whilst on the net you can also check out how many movie stars died of smoking related diseases.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

Well...if I've ever had my cracker pulled, I reckon I slept thru it!! I had absolutely no idea what that meant until I went to the web site provided by Just. Thanks TrueBrit and Just.

About smoking in movies: It disgusts me. Like I said, this woman in Notes on a Scandal smoked so much that it was making me sick watching her. I'm the same way when I see people on the highway - or any place - smoking. I find it revolting. And I'm glad! All my friends quit smoking years and years ago. Some of them have become quite sanctimonious. It's like they've forgotten they were stinky and "hooked" at one time and for a long time. I sure hope I don't get like that. I feel sorry for people who continue to smoke.

Thanks again for the cracker lesson

Old 04-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

PS: "Saved my bacon"???? Wow -- I'm learning so much. Looked that up on line to find out what it mean.....was a new one on me.

TrueBrit: How are things w/ you? Are you totally and completely over all the wean difficulties? Do you ever have urges to smoke? If so, what's it like...about the same as on Chantix or worse? You've been a real inspiration to me and - as above - taught me stuff I just did not know!!

Old 04-23-2007, 10:11 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi all,
I was thinking "cracker" as in saltine!!! Not as in "fire". hehehe!
Just like me to think of food. But it sound like fun!! Wonder if they sell them over here? My grandkids would love them!

Now Trish, you're from the south! Haven't you heard "saved my bacon" before? I thought that was a southern saying, not an English one!

Ya know, it really doesn't bother me one way or the the other to see someone else smoking. It doesn't make me want one or disgust me.
I'm just glad it's not me!!!!

Memaw

Old 04-23-2007, 11:15 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish M&M View Post
PS: "Saved my bacon"???? Wow -- I'm learning so much. Looked that up on line to find out what it mean.....was a new one on me.

TrueBrit: How are things w/ you? Are you totally and completely over all the wean difficulties? Do you ever have urges to smoke? If so, what's it like...about the same as on Chantix or worse? You've been a real inspiration to me and - as above - taught me stuff I just did not know!!
The honest answer Trish is NO. For me quitting has been more difficult since stopping the med. At the moment I am tellimg the world that if I don't feel happier at the 6 month mark I will resume smoking again. I am not sure if I mean it or not. Depression has been the thing for me. It is slowly improving but I seem to have a very short fuse and do not yet handle stress very well. This is a strain on my marriage as using quitting as an excuse after nearly 4 months doesn't wash any more. I have suffered from a lack of a feeling of happiness since I quit even though my life is fine. It is 5 weeks since stopping the med and physically returning to normal is very slow. Sleep problems lasted 2 weeks. HOPE is my motivator, along with this board.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:44 AM   #9
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

TrueBrit: You can't know how sorry I am to hear that things aren't going all that well. Have you considered seeing your physician about getting on an anti-depressant for a while? You have done so well with your quit and I know you want to stay a non-smoker.....and I want that for you too. I'm sure everyone on this Board would echo my sentiments.

Please think about seeing your physician to determine if there's something you can get on to help you thru this. And, please, please, please: keep on posting here and tell us these things. I know you know that venting helps -- a bunch!

I'm thinking of you and, of course, wishing you the best!!

Old 04-24-2007, 08:26 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

True Brit,
Ditto what Trish said!

My thoughts are with you and sending well wishes your way!
You're very special to me and everyone on this board.
We don't like it when you are feel down. Depression is nothing to sneeze at.
It can make you physically ill. It hurts. Please consider getting help.

Memaw

Old 04-25-2007, 02:39 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

You folks are very sweet and thanks for listening. I have had a chat with my GP who reckons some people suffer dopamine depression when quitting and it is in fact the most common reason for women restarting. Coming off Chantix is a bit like quitting as far a dopamine is concerned and my GPs advice is to try to hang on with St Johns Wort if possible. In the UK anti depressants are not often prescribed due to peoples difficulty getting off them. When I threaten to myself that I will start smoking after 6 months if things don't improve, you will notice that it's a long way ahead. In other words I believe things will improve, in fact they are noticably better already and well before the 6 month date arrives. I am also banking on the fact that by 6 months there is no way I would want to ruin my quit. It's weird but in 18 years of marriage my husband only saw me cry 3 times. During April he has probably seen me cry 3 times a day!! In addition to all this my menopause started suddenly one week after quitting, as though the shock brought it on. This obviously messes with emotions, so here I am, a pathetic wretch, not knowing what causes what.
St Johns Wort in large doses really helps, but exercise is the best thing because it is very calming and I now had a mega firm bum from cycling at least an hour every day
PULLING TOO MANY CRACKERS GIVE YOU TENNIS ELBOW

Old 04-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #12
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

Good Grief, TrueBrit! You really are going thru the wringer. Menopause on top of everything else!!!! It may well be that that's what's causing your depression as opposed to not smoking. Or - probably more realistically - a combination of the two things. In US, they pass out anti-depressants like M&M's -- I've been on Prozac almost since it became available. I stopped it once - just to see what would happen - and it wasn't difficult to get off. I just weaned myself off it. After being off it a while, I realized I felt every so much better on it, so went right back to it. I'm a firm believer in taking pills -- I feel like there's a pill for most everything in life and I'll take whatever I need to in order to get whatever the problem is resolved. Not everyone feels that way, but it works for me. And...my physician isn't a "pill pusher" -- but he'll give me a script when we both think I need it.

In any event, I hope so much that things are gonna get better for you REAL soon. Would you consider going on an estrogen replacement for a while?

We're here for you just like you've been here for us!!

Old 04-25-2007, 10:13 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Oh Trish
You are a sweet You are just like my husband. He has a pill for every illness and an illness for every pill Estrogen Is what I have been given along with Progesterone for the HRT cocktail. I am only 45 but quite convinced the shock of quitting brought on my menopause as it was so sudden. My GP warns of getting "DOLLY PARTON SYNDROME" with HRT and I am certainly not getting thinner. Hey ho, it's all very character building being a sad muppet!! Things can only get better. I could buy prozac online but having managed 45 years without getting depressed I don't want to start relying on brain changing drugs. At least I will hold out a bit longer to see if things improve on their own.
Many thanks for your support and SLEEP WELL

Old 04-25-2007, 06:57 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

True Brit,
I had forgotten that you said you were in menapause.
That will make you all kinds of ways!! I was on HRT for a number of years because of a hysterectomy when I was 40. I tapered off them 4 years ago. Then the hot flashes really started!!! And the mood swings!! And the crying!! That lasted for me about 18 months!! Thought I was going crazy at times. Quitting smoking was easy compared to that.
My dr. put me on effexor, an antidepressant. I was a zombie on that stuff. I had to wean myself off that. Since I got off that, I've been doing extremely well. I had taken antidepressants before, but that stuff was awful!!
I hope I never have to take them again. But I will if I have to. If I get crazy again.
Keep taking the St. John's Wort. And eating your chocolate. And reward yourself so you can bring you dopomine levels up. You'll be okay!!
You are one strong lady!!

Memaw

Closed Thread