It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2007, 12:51 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User
Dad died, i've quit!!

My FIL died on sat after only knowing for 3 days he had lung cancer and sitting there seeing his only 56 yr old body looking like a 70 yr old body,i knew i didnt want to die like that.Watching a dead body for 4 hours,who looked just fine 2 weeks before showed me i am only human. When my kids visited him when he was alive he had no breath left in him but gave them the signal for smoking and then took his finger and moved it from ear to ear to signal imminent death! this was the last advise given from such a great man.Either way i promised myself to quit,for him. I am on day one and it is weird.i dont want to quit but know i have to kind of like when a dr tells u u need a needle u dont want it but know u have to.i have been ok so far. i was never a heavy smoker 5-8/day but i am feeling it its not all the time like i expected its almost like for a quick second my body releases something that gives me the urge then its gone 30 secs later not sure what that is anyone know? ive quit before for yrs at a time but know i have to now...ironically he quit for a yr before he got diagnosed,what a waste!

Old 04-24-2007, 02:36 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

janpo1 HB User
Re: Dad died, i've quit!!

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2007, 04:42 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

TomJC HB User

I'm terribly saddend to hear about your loss. You can and should quit to set an example for your kids. Thats why I quit 55 days ago. You can do it!!! It gets easier every week.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:48 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Jwande HB User

Hayley0610,
I am very sorry for your loss. I too have lost people close to me due to health issues with smoking and have experienced the pain. It is just one of the reasons I am on day 2 of not smoking. Your loss is reinforcing my willpower.
Jwande.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

jwande i am only on day 2 as well and its not easy but ill be damned if im gonna lay,dead,changing color,with my friends and family wailing and greiving because i decided, knowingly to smoke to be cool or satisfy a craving or whatever!! it looks like we are in the same boat right now let me know how it goes!!

Old 04-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
(female)

kimberly41 HB User

jwanda I quit 12years and 5 months ago. The doctors told me if I continued to smoke I would lose the use of my legs.(my aorta was blocked from my kidneys down to my legs.) I was only 29 years old. I quit that day and have not picked up another one. When faced with something this strong you do what you need to do. I'll be praying for you!

Old 04-24-2007, 08:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

I'm sorry for your loss, but isn't it amazing what the mind can do. My Grandfather smoked for many years, for the last 10 years or so of his life he had lung cancer but his Dr's told him he had bronchitis it's nothing to worry about than they saw cancer spreading when they finally told him he died shortly after they told him imagine if they'd just kept telling it was bronchitis he'd be the oldest living man. So as far as the brain goes just use yours to keep telling you to quit you cando it's hard but anything worth doing and succeeding at is hard.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:06 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

haley,
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I guess we've all been touched by someone we know that smoking has affected. For me it was my aunt dying of lung cancer 20 years ago and my cousin dying of mouth and throat cancer about 4years ago and my mom dying of an aortic anyruysm (caused from smoking) almost 3 years ago.
Even with all of that I still smoked!! As do my cousins and my brother.
This is a hard addiction to get rid of.
I applaud you in your decision to set a good example for your children.
And for you to get healthy.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Last edited by Memaw649; 04-24-2007 at 11:07 PM. Reason: sp.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:22 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

Thanks guys im heading into day 4 tom i am surprised with all the unsettledness happening in our life right now i havent given in! ive thought about it but not to the point i thought of ways to get it!! so 72 hrs have come and gone hope i can keep up this battle, funeral in on monday and hopefully thatll give me even more motivation!

Old 04-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Haley,
Just hang in there!! It does get better eventually. I promise!!
Just keep repeating....Smoking is no longer an option.

Keep on posting and let us know how you are doing.
We might not be able to do much but give you words of encouragment, but sometimes that's all it takes to keep you from lighting up.
We are all pulling for you!!

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Old 04-26-2007, 11:54 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Jwande HB User

Stay tough Haley. Let me know how things are going. Sorry for you loss and the funeral on Monday.
John

Old 05-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

hey guys well its going ok i have cheated with maybe a total of 7 drags one day when i got upset about something but whats 7 drags right? on day 9 now miss it more than anything but whatever ill live had the funeral yesterday it was very sad and my kids were soooo upset i told them if they smoke thatll happen to them and i think they knew it too, we had an open casket and it wasnt pretty.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:23 AM   #13
(female)

Evonne667 HB User

Hayley

Deepest sympathy for your loss. I have been a non-smoker for just over 2 weeks now and its the best decision I have made in the 31 years of my life. I have seen close relatives suffer at the hands of the nicodemon and like you say, it isn't pretty.

Stay strong and good luck in your quit. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Evonne

Old 05-02-2007, 10:21 AM   #14
(female)

Fibrana HB User

So sorry to hear about your loss. You are doing great with the not smoking. Just think, if you can get through all this without a cigarette, you can handle almost anything!

Since I've quit 4 weeks ago, I've been hearing so many scary stories about people who have quit and then get really sick. Very scary. I've heard a theory that maybe our bodies have gotten used to all the chemicals etc. and when we quit, they all start moving around and causing damage.

I hope that's not true!

Myself, I just picked up a cold yesterday and have a sore throat, chills and aches. Ugh!

Best of luck to you.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

ugh hope u feel better getting a cold sucks lol but i always found i never smoked when i had it! as u can read for some reason im really wanting a smoke right now but uve gone this far and havent given in but i am surprised at what i thought would be hard i dont crave it after meals for some reason like i thought i would!!!

Closed Thread