It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2007, 01:07 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User
few non smoking ?

im on day one it sucks but im ok and am a very strong willed person! i dont see the need for smoking aides and such as i think it may be given to people trying to stop with the idea that its a magical cure when really all u need to do is stop! and before i get heated comments for that idea, i did stop when i got pg years ago COLD trukey,no gimmicks,lasted many yrs wasnt the nicotine craving put back into my body again it was social settings,youre the only one that can do it not some overpriced company who takes ur money like the tob company once did, its called will power and back bone and being adult about it.i need to know a few things,when will nicotine completely leave ur system?and once it leaves i understand the cravings are still there but what causes those if theres no nic in your body? now after being a light smoker for 15 -20 years how much damage can i really reverse or am i just screwed anyways? i mean when i quit before for a long time i just stopped first week was hard but i did it but i was always told ull feel more energy,food tastes better u be more alive....i was always tired,food tasted just like it did before and didnt feel anymore alive than i did before.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:41 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: few non smoking ?

I stopped cold turkey from a 30-a-day-40-year habit the day my husband had a heart attack. He smoked too, and also stopped. So, motivation has a huge part in it. I have to say that, for me (and I will not speak for others) I have not had any real problems. My desire for a smoke has been more wistful, and habit-driven than physical. It DOES come back to will-power tho and I stand by that 100%. You cannot stay on Chantix or any other remedy for ever so eventually will power has got to come into it. All power to everyone on the smoking board, it is the morale-boosting support that is the winner here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2007, 04:59 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Jwande HB User

I have tried several methods to quit smoking over the past 18 years. I am currently taking Chantix and for me, it does lessen the symptoms of nicotine withdrawl. From my take, whether you eat sunflower seeds to handle the hand-to-mouth habit like a guy I know or wear the patch or take Chantix, whatever works is what I say! Hang in there!

Old 04-24-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
(female)

Trish M&M HB User

Well, Haley, I'd say this: I'm about as strong and determined a person as you'd ever wanna meet and I've got a whole back fulla backbone. Over the years, I've tried just about everything on the market to try and stop smoking and using these aids never made me feel less adequate than a "cold turkey" quitter. I've been smoke free for almost three months -- using another aid: Chantix -- and, obviously, it's working for me.

I wish you much success in your cold turkey quit.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:46 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

haley,
First, congratulations on quitting smoking!! Wonderful decision on your part.
Most people need a little help with this addiction. And that is what this is. An addiction. I am addicted to nicotine. It doesn't matter how a person stops smoking or using tobacco products. The end results is what matters.

The nicotine will leave your body after about 72 hours. The withdrawals will continue longer than that. Your body will keep asking for it's fix until it realizes it is not going to get it.
If you are a pack a day smoker, that is about 70,000 puffs in 1 year. The only thing you've done more times than that is breathing. So you're going to have some memories (urges/cravings) of smoking.

If it was easy to do, more people would quit smoking. It takes work, no matter what method you use. It takes determination and a postive attitude helps a whole lot.

I can never have even one puff of another cigarette as long as I live. If I do, I will be a pack a day smoker again. That is how addicting nicotine is.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing with your quit. If you need support, we will cheer you on. We have all been through what you are going through and we do understand where someone that has never smoked doesn't.

Good Luck to you!

Memaw

Old 04-25-2007, 10:27 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

thanks for ur help with my questions i was rereading my post and realized it may have come across a little harsher than it meant but i was on sedative meds, drained and depressed over the death but i am surprised i didnt get slack lol! anyways as u may already know my last smoke was sunday its now wens havent given in once actually very surprised how easy it was this time! its funny what u say about even having one puff cause i was always the type of person that could have a smoke or 2 when i had a drink and then not turn back for months then one day i realized i was enjoying it to much i guess i dont have much of an addict personailty which does help. btw i only smoked about 8-10 a day so i wasnt as heavy a smoker as some. so u say the nic is now out of my system but i can honestly say i didnt feel any physical withdrawal symptoms this time which is weird.

Closed Thread