It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
(female)

Fibrana HB User
3 weeks today!!!!

Well, I made it to 3 weeks!!!! It hasn't been easy at all, but I'm starting to get used to not smoking. Still have a lot of cravings at this point. I guess it takes time.

I have a question though. How do you deal with being around smokers? I feel so tempted when I'm in a situation where I know someone smokes and feel like bumming a smoke off them and going outside to smoke. I kind of feel left out because I used to be a part of that group. It's wrong, but I feel a bit envious that they can still smoke and I can't. In my book, it says we're supposed to pity smokers because they can't help it and are just getting their "fix" and don't really want to smoke anyway. However, especially when having a drink or two, it is still so tempting to me.

I still want to be able to go out and socialize and don't want to stay home all the time just to avoid temptation.

Does this go away? Ever? Just wondering you all of you deal with this situation.

Thanks again for all of your support!!! I couldn't have made it this far without all of you!!!!!

Last edited by Fibrana; 04-25-2007 at 07:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2007, 08:01 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

janpo1 HB User
Re: 3 weeks today!!!!

I'm sure it does go away from everything i've been reading from other people.

I too feel "left" out from my bud's at work. But here's how i'm thinking. if all we were were smoking buddies ~ well than that's just sad and it's not worth it to me.

My husband still smokes. Honestly~ it doesn't bother me. In fact the smoke kind of bothers me when he lights up.

Just keep saying~ every day will get easier and it will.

For now though~ i'd say avoid what triggers you and if that means going out to a bar than stay away for awhile.

Whatever you do keep saying:

Smoking is not an option and
one puff is too much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2007, 08:05 AM   #3
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Thanks Janpo1. You're right, maybe I'll just have to avoid situations that tempt me for awhile. It kind of feels like a punishment though! However, I think I have to feel stronger in my quit before I can do some of these social things.

My singles group is having a big houseparty for someone's birthday and I politely declined going because I know it would be too tempting. There are quite a few smokers in the group and the woman having the party allows smoking in her house, so I know I would probably break down! Darn!!!

Old 04-25-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

True Brit HB User

Hi Fibrana
Congrats on 3 weeks, you are over the worst
When you are with other smokers it is worth remembering that most of them probably would like to quit and will have to go through what you are already through one of these days. Lucky you, you have already done it and are well on your way to a healthier life.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:53 AM   #5
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Thanks TrueBrit. I don't know if I'm over the worst yet. I still feel pretty weak!!! Especially on weekends. Maybe I should just get another job and work all weekend to keep busy! LOL

I certainly don't miss forking out $65 a week for smokes!!!

Old 04-25-2007, 11:06 AM   #6
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Congrats Fibrana!! 3 weeks is awesome! Yeh it's tough - just remember - you smoked for a long, long time - it's not something you are likely to forget overnight. I had a problem hanging out with smokers too - but luckily most of the people I know are non-smokers, I was the one who was hiding it all the time. The others are right, those who are still smoker, are probably very envious of you that you were able to quit. Most everyone that smokes wishes they could quit. Maybe you will be their inspiration!!

Keep up the good work - it is so wonderful to have a new lease on life and not be ruled by smokes anymore. I can't wait to take my first airplane trip or go on vacation for a whole week!!

Old 04-25-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Thanks Sara and Skimmer. You're right, the smokers are probably envious of us now! I just wish everybody would quit smoking, then it would be so much easier! LOL

At this point, I can't imagine going on a vacation and not smoking. What fun would it be? LOL Nothing like going to a far away island, drinking fancy drinks and smoking! Sometimes I think when you quit smoking, you also have to quit alcohol for awhile as it lowers your guard!

Ah well, I'll just keep chewing gum and eating my cinnamon sticks!

Have a great smoke-free day everyone!

Sherry.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User
Cool Re: 3 weeks today!!!!

FIBRANA 3 WEEKS SMOKEFREE

You have really worked hard to make your QUIT work and you should be quite proud of yourself. The lifestyle changes associated with not smoking take awhile to adjust to, but as each day passes it becomes easier and easier.

I do not like to be around smokers as I do not like the second hand smoke. When I see a smoker I always think to myself how glad I am that I am no longer one. My life is no longer ruled by my need to smoke. I no longer have to take smoking into consideration for any activity that I choose to do. That is the freedom of being QUIT that I enjoy the most.

Keep up the good work you have started!

Sapphire

Old 04-25-2007, 12:20 PM   #9
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Thanks Sapphire!

This is funny. I've been looking everywhere for cinnamon toothpicks that I remember as a kid. Did an internet search and found some stores that sell candy (all kinds) from the old days! I'm 45. So, I've ordered a box of hot cinnamon toothpicks! I love them! I'll give some packages to my dad because he quit smoking 10 years ago and constantly has a toothpick sticking out of his mouth! The cinnamon ones are good because you kind of suck on them and then get this hot cinnamon flavour. Mmmmmm!!!

Old 04-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Jwande HB User

I am not as far along in my quit as some of the folks, but I physically change my course rather than go by the old smoking hangouts! I may be strong enough to resist, but I don't need any additonal testing at this point!

I became aware of my habits several years ago - my life was scheduled around my smoking. Not any more.....................

I also have ruled out any type of casual drink until I think I am strong enough to resist the urge to smoke when I have a drink. The two went hand in hand for me. I am partial to sugarfree Jolly Ranchers - watermelon

Old 04-25-2007, 01:26 PM   #11
(female)

Fibrana HB User

I also want to get a snow-cone machine now!!! I looked at Wal-Mart today, but couldn't find one. I love snow-cones! LOL

I think quitting smoking is making us all NUTS!!!!! LOL

Old 04-25-2007, 01:55 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

jdfors HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibrana View Post

I think quitting smoking is making us all NUTS!!!!! LOL
ain't that the truth!!

Old 04-25-2007, 02:15 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User
Cool Re: 3 weeks today!!!!

I like the idea of a snow cone machine. I just may check that out.

I have not been able to drink hot coffee since I QUIT smoking. It is too much of a trigger for me. I have though discovered the Mocha Lite Frappiccino drink from Starbucks, which is like a chocolate milk shake. I just love cold coffee now and I can drink it without thinking about smoking. I figure I can afford one every now and then since I am no longer burning my money up on cigarettes.

Sapphire

Old 04-25-2007, 03:15 PM   #14
(female)

Skimmer HB User

That's funny Sara - I've always wanted to add on to my house, but not because I quit smoking and need additional toys! HA! I love those cinammon toothpicks too Fibrana - and I'm from the same age group!! And watermelon jolly ranches are my favorite too. How funny is that!

I'm actually able to drink now and not smoke. It's not that I don't think about the smoking, because that's what I used to do - go out on the boat, crack open a beer, and light up a smoke. Now, I just eliminate that last step - it's still great to be out on the water with a beer in my hand.

Welp - I'm heading to the beach for a long, long walk.....it's gorgeous outside here in Florida! Hope nobody's from Denver on here......is it still snowing out there??

Old 04-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hey Sherry,
Congratulations on being smoke free for 3 weeks!! WOO HOO!!!!
Being around smokers doesn't bother me. Doesn't make me want one at all.
When I had been quit for about a month, they actually still smelled good to me, but I didn't want one.
The "firsts" are what gets me. Even now. I'm still experiencing things for the first time as a non smoker. Last week I went fishing for the first time ever as a non smoker!! I did really well. It was so pretty and peaceful out on the lake that I never missed them. Well, maybe one time I did. I've already been a trip to Nashville to see my cousin. That went good. No problems there. I can have an alcoholic beverage with no problem now. That was a little touchy at first.
But the more you do something as a non smoker, the more natural it becomes. So it does get easier.

Sara,
I love Jolly Ranchers!! And not the sugar free one either!!
Maybe Walmart will have the sno-cone machines as summer gets a little closer. We'll just have to keep watching for them. I saw some Hawaiian Punch at the grocery and thought that sure would make a good sno-cone!!
And I remember the cinnamon and pepperment toothpicks too!!
And congratulations on being smokefree for 5 weeks!! You are so awesome!!

Memaw

Closed Thread