It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Jwande HB User
Can you physically tell when nicotine is out?

This is my 3rd day of my quit. Took Chantix for the first week and smoked like the program says. First quit day was a constant reminder not to smoke, and the second day was a little better.

This morning I had the hand-shakes and sweat on my brow and really really wanted to smoke. I went through 6 half liter bottles of water and a bag of sugarfree Jolly Ranchers! It was that way until lunch.

I still get the cravings, but I just tell myself I don't do that anymore. In between the cravings, I feel perfectly normal, and actually good. It seems to have come about very quickly and I wondered if all of the nicotine was out of my system? That is the only thing I can come up with and wonder if anyone else further along in their quit noticed a drastic shift when they felt better.
Jwande

Old 04-25-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

janpo1 HB User
Re: Can you physically tell when nicotine is out?

I'd like to know this answer also.

I too am on the 3rd day of my quit and today has been the worst so far. I really want a cig too but i am not going to do it.

First day was like yours~ had to keep telling myself not to smoke. 2nd day was great. I felt great!

Today~ man it's hard but it's not physical cravings i think.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better for you and I Jwande.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
(female)

djm310 HB User

I don't know, but what I've read and heard is that it takes 72 hrs for the nicotine to leave the body...and that the 3rd day is sometimes better and sometimes the worst. But that it is much better starting Day 4.
It seemed like mine was both...sometimes I felt okay, sometimes it was really bad. The weird thing is that I have very few cravings...I feel more like I have the flu, just achy and dizzy, and unlike most who have said stay busy, I've been best watching stupid TV shows that take no brain power.
I haven't gained any weight and I am not hungrier, which always gets me started again.

So today is Day 4 and this morning I felt great...now the weird stuff is back a bit, but not like yesterday. i always wonder how much is psychological. In my mind all I had to do was get through yesterday. And I did!

Old 04-25-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Jwande HB User

I agree with you about doing things that don't take brain power! I do have the brain-fog. I haven't gained any weight either and I am starting to think mine will be psychological from now on. Still one day at a time!

Old 04-25-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi ya'll,
That is just your body yelling at you for stopping the drug nicotine.
It will get better. I promise!!
I didn't do anything at all but lay on the couch at first. Then get up and go to bed at night. I tried to sleep as much as I could during withdrawals. They say it takes 72 hours for the nicotine to leave the body after the last cigarette is smoked, but withdrawals can last any where from 1 to 3 weeks.

Ya'll hang in there. It will be worth it!! You are going to be so proud of yourself!! You are doing great!!

Memaw

Old 04-25-2007, 10:51 PM   #6
(female)

djm310 HB User

So good to hear other people were foggy and felt like laying around all day. I keep hearing from people that the best thing is to keep busy. Even writing this and trying to spell correctly is hard for me.
But i have made it through 4 days!! You guys will, too!!

Old 04-25-2007, 11:01 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

DJ,
Way to Go!! 4 days is GOOD!!
Oh yeah!! I took advanatage of the laying around! My hubby did everything around the house! He was willing to do that just so I would quit. He has never smoked! It took me about a month of laying around before I finally made myself get up and start walking to give me some energy.

Good Luck to you!

Memaw

Old 04-26-2007, 05:18 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Jwande HB User

I seemed to have the opposite problem last night. Couldn't get to sleep.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

SiiouteSapphire HB User
Cool Re: Can you physically tell when nicotine is out?

JAN JW DJ

CONGRATULATIONS on your QUIT. I have been reading of your progress and you are all doing such a fine job. Even encouraging each other, isn't that the best! It is going to be quite a thrill when you are all a couple weeks into your QUIT. You will be proud of yourself and each other and all of us here are proud of you, too.

I QUIT on Day 11 of my Chantix therapy. As far as nicotine withdrawal goes, I found the first week the most difficult . Yes, nicotine leaves the body after 72 hours, but it takes your body time to adjust to existing without it. How long you smoked and how much you smoked makes a big difference in the length of the withdrawal period. "They" say it can last from 2 weeks up to a month. Everyone is different and for some it may be a shorter time or even last longer.

During that first week of my QUIT I struggled with Days 4 and 5. Those were my most difficult days. During those particular days I felt quite anxious and very restless. I just did not know what to do with myself because that is what I did, I always smoked when I did not know what to do with myself and here I was taking the only real vice that I had out of my lifestyle. I wanted to smoke just because I always had smoked. I was not even sure if I NEEDED to smoke or if it was the HABIT of smoking.

I did know though that if I gave in I would have to start all over again. I knew I only wanted to go through this experience once. I kept telling myself over and over the reasons I wanted to QUIT. I kept myself as busy as I could and I tried to sleep as much as I could. I tried to sleep alot that first week as I told myself if I was sleeping, I could not be smoking.

I knew that what I was going thru was nothing like one experiences who goes "Cold Turkey." I thank the Chantix for that because I know I could not have endured the cold turkey way of quitting. What I was going through was not in any way fun, no one will tell you that to QUIT smoking is easy, but the Chantix makes it bearable. YOU CAN DO THIS and we all want to hear of your progress.

Best wishes to each and every one of you!

Sapphire

Last edited by Administrator; 04-30-2007 at 02:11 PM.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Jwande HB User

Thanks Sapphire! I know as a new "quitter" I look to other people as inspiration.

Funny story - Last night when I couldn't sleep, I kept walking into the kitchen from the living room to get glasses of water. Everytime I went by a certain spot, I kept noticing this nice lavendar smell. Finally, I couldn't stand it and had to find out what it was.

My wife had purchased one of those plug in airfresheners that has the wick and liquid in the glass bulb. I am sure when we got it I stuck it right up to my nose and said, "Oh yeah, that smells nice". But throughout the course of the next couple of years and I am sure several refills, I never did smell it by just walking through the room!

I have forgotten what I am missing!
John

Old 04-26-2007, 10:28 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

janpo1 HB User

thanks sapphire for your words and they couldn't be more true.

The chantix has made this more bearable. I know i'm one that could never have done it cold turkey and with this it's doable. You still have to want to quit though more than you want to smoke.

I've smoked for 30 yrs so habit is a biggie . Last night after dinner I started the dishes and then i looked around for my ciggy case even though i threw it out on sunday!

I don't feel the "need" to smoke but i do still feel the "want" to smoke but i can handle that by also thinking that there is no way i want to re-start my inner meter back to 0 and do this over with again. Uh uh ~ no way!!

4 day's and darn proud of myself!!!!!

Old 04-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Jwande HB User

Janpo - Way to go. We are on the same schedule. I won't let you down!

Old 04-26-2007, 11:00 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Philmajor HB User

Thanks for the encouraging words Sapphire.

Great job Jwande and Janpo1 - you should be extremely proud

My quit day was Saturday so I'm 1 day ahead of you. It hasn't always been easy but I don't want to ever have to do this again. When I think how addicted and consumed I was with having a cig - everything I did was wrapped around the thought of smoking.

I've had a horrible cold (stuffy nose and cough) since I started the Chantix so I haven't been able to enjoy how wonderful things smell or taste without nicotine in my system but I'm looking forward to that day soon!

Old 04-26-2007, 11:39 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Jwande HB User

Congratulations yourself! I am working to catch up to you.
I hope you get over your cold soon. I smelled a two year old airwick in our house for the first time last night. I think I like lavendar!

Old 04-26-2007, 11:47 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

janpo1 HB User

Wtg Phil and i hope you feel better soon~ these spring colds can be nasty.

Oh I know you won't let me down Jwande~ your like me~ in this for the long haul. Just think in a couple of month's these cig's won't occupy our thoughts like they are now and we won't be reaching for something that isn't even there.

I can relate to everything be wrapped around cig's. Wherever we went i used to see if smoking was allowed and if not where could i go to have one.

This truly is freedom. No more having to do that anymore! I will be able to sit in an airline terminal and not worry and try to time it so i can have one last ciggy before boarding.

Now my husband still smokes but i think maybe just maybe he's going to try this . I just don't know when.

I wonder where mom's been today. She hasn't checked in. hope things are going ok for her.

Closed Thread