It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
(male)

Kentucky Scott HB User
Unhappy stopping smoking not going well

I have been trying to work on stopping smoking and have failed each time. What are some things that others have tried that have worked for them? I am new to this board and am hoping to get a some support and encouragament. I want to be a non smoker but just haven't been able to win. I am using medications to assist and wonder at what point they are no longer effective.

thanks
Scott

Last edited by moderator2; 04-27-2007 at 12:44 PM. Reason: do not post your real name on these anonymous-only forums

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Philmajor HB User
Re: stopping smoking not going well

Hey Scott,

Sorry it's been so hard for you. What type of products have you been using? I never had any luck until this time around but I was determined to stop smoking and the medication I'm taking is what did it for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Philmagor is right once you are determined you will stop. I have been wanting to stop for so many years and I finally set a quit date and did stop but a few weeks into it something happened that I just had to have a cig.A few days later I told myself that was just an excuse and I started all over again but this time I was determined even though the problem was still with me. No excuses. You can do it. You asked what products to use.If yyou like chewing gum there is a gum aid or you can use the patch. You can suck on the lozenges they as well as the gum come in different flavors.You can use the inhaler which is like smoking by using hand and mouth there are other options also including cold turkey my husband did that but that was so many years ago before there was no stop smoking aids then.

Last edited by lorriem; 04-27-2007 at 01:29 PM.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Hi Scott,
Welcome to the message board.
I quit with the help of my doctor and a stop smoking medication.
There are various methods that are very successful. You will have to choose one that is right for you.

Memaw

Last edited by Administrator; 04-28-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
(male)

Kentucky Scott HB User

So did you try and stop on the recommended day with your medication and it did not work and you still think your medication has helped you? I am going to try and not smoke at all tomorrow.

Thanks for your reply

Old 04-27-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Philmajor HB User

Hi Scott,

I stopped on day 6 of my meds. I probably could have done it on day 5 because the cig's tasted horrible but I was sad and nervous about stopping. I have been smoking 1.5 packs for about 35 years. I know everyone says "if I can do it you certainly can" but believe me, this time it is so very true. Once you make your mind up that your sick of smoking whatever method you decide on will work. The hardest part is working through the cravings - in time I'm sure they'll be less and less.

You can do it - we're all here to help support you!

Good luck

Old 04-27-2007, 07:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Hi Scott, welcome to the HealthBoards! You will quit when you want to quit, not a minute earlier. It is very difficult to quit and the decision has to be yours.... we are all here to help when you do pick a date. I used the patch and that helped me tremendously!

Here are a few to help you quit. You can do it!! Keep coming back!!

Old 04-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Scott,
A lot of people have quit on day 8. I quit on day 9. A lot more quit later than that. Some people decided to see how long they could go without a cigarette.
They found out that they could go a whole day!! If you see that you can not quit tomorrow, aim for a later date. Don't beat yourself up. It will happen. Just give it time. Give the medicine time to work. It's different with each person.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Closed Thread