It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
(female)

mylilcruz HB User
Recently Hospitalized and trying to quit

Hello, everyone! I was hospitalized 4 weeks ago with pneumonia and various other lung problems. Was in there for 2 weeks (with a patch on) and was looking forward to being smoke free when I came home (been a smoker for 43 years). It's been so hard, have slipped several times and I guess I'm just looking for someone to relate to with the difficulties of dealing with lung disease and stopping smoking and how to overcome this awful habit. I'm new here, so please bear with me. Thanks so much!!

Last edited by mylilcruz; 04-29-2007 at 06:44 PM.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Re: Recently Hospitalized and trying to quit

Welcome mylilcruz!! I was in the hospital last May for a week and was determined to keep quit when I got out. I used the patch when I got home, I used the 14mg one then went down to the 7mg. I wasn't in there with lung problems but it's still so hard to stay quit when you get home. I smoked 2 packs a day for 25-30 years. I asked my doctor for Wellbutrin, I don't know if that helped or not... it must have since I'm coming up on one year quit (I had 2 small slips, 1 cig each, I don't count them). You can do it!!! Keep coming back here for help and encouragement!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2007, 08:09 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

theycallmemom HB User

Welcome Cruz - Im trying!!! Everyday I start again - the stop smoking aide Im using has taken the cravings away - now Im dealing with the habit Havent quit totally yet - but I keep trying!!! Hang In there

Old 04-29-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

mylilcruz
Hi Beverly!
Welcome to the message board. You've come to the right place for encouragement and support.
I hope you're feeling better and your bout with pneumonia. That stuff is rough!! I had it both lungs a few years ago. Thought I was gonna die it hurt so bad. But you know what, I was still trying to smoke with it!! How stupid is that!? That just goes to show you how powerful this addiction is. If quitting was easy, more people would do it!!
I'm glad you recognize the need to quit. You're smarter than I was. It took me a few years to decide to do it. I quit About 8 months ago. Wasn't easy, but I made it.
You have got to make up your mind that you want to quit smoking more than you want that cigarette.
The patch should help with the addiction, but you need to work on the habit. Don't smoke unless you really need it!!! Don't smoke just because you're on the phone, or just got through eating, or because you are driving the car. Those are habits smokes. Don't do those.
There is a saying that I just love and it helped me get through some rough spots....Smoking is no longer an option. Say that each time you find yourself wanting to light up.

Good Luck to you!!

Memaw

Last edited by Memaw649; 04-29-2007 at 09:51 PM. Reason: hit the wrong button...wasn't through yet!

Old 04-30-2007, 05:39 AM   #5
(female)

mylilcruz HB User

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement! Looks like I have definitely found a source of support. (Just hope I don't drive you crazy in the interim!). It has been hard and knowing all of you can do it, gives me the courage to keep going no matter how hard it is. Thanks, again and good luck to all that are quitting.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:14 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Philmajor HB User

WELCOME! I hope you're feeling better and working hard not to give in to the habit of smoking. When I was first quitting I moved the cigarettes to the far corner of my basement. It meant having to actually get up, walk down stairs, climb over some junk in order to get one. It helped with the actually habit of grabbing a cig when the phone rang, or after eating, or sitting with a cup of coffee. I smoked for 35 years, 1.5 packs per day and I've been smoke free for 9 days. The method I'm using is fantastic and makes it so much easier.

Stay positive and remember SMOKING IS NOT AN OPTION.

And don't worry you won't drive us crazy, come on and type anytime

Old 04-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
(female)

mylilcruz HB User

Just a tip that I hope helps someone else.....I thoroughly cleaned the ashtray of my car and now have hard candies in there. I always lit up when I got in the car, so now I get in, buckle up and grab a mint. I've discovered my drive to and from work is a two-minter!!

Last edited by mylilcruz; 04-30-2007 at 04:50 PM.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilcruz View Post
I thoroughly cleaned the ashtray of my car ...
I didn't use the ashtray of my car, I used the window ... what a terrible thing to do, especially since Florida has been so dry in recent years. And for 2 years I flew into Birmingham and drove to Tuscaloosa, so your pretty state was littered by my butts too.... but no more.... (I quit a year ago and haven't been to BHM since July).

Old 04-30-2007, 11:45 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Memaw649 HB User

Sara,
I had to laugh at you throwing the ashtray out the window!! Just the mental picture of that struck me as funny. Don't you wish quitting was that easy?

Congratulations on 40 days as a non smoker!! You are so awesome! I just love your enthusiasm! You are such an inspiration.

Memaw

Old 05-08-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
(female)

mylilcruz HB User

As much as I hate to say it...I found a pack of unopened cigarettes in my car 1-1/2 weeks ago and did not take the temptation. It is so strong tonight, that I'm thinking just one. Been obsessed with the idea they are there ever since I saw them. Guess it was my bad for not throwing them away, but just knew if I picked them up, I would have opened them.....which that prospect tonight looks really good! I'm thinking out loud and trying to justify smoking just one, throwing the rest in the garbage (with coffee grounds, etc.) on top of them....eeekkkkk - it has been so hard the last few days!!

Old 05-10-2007, 04:24 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

i have lung problems (copd) and have smoked as long as you have. i have alot of health problems, and i'm disabled. i cannot excercise and am totally bored all the time. my husband and i are going on chantix, 5/18. our doc said alot of people have had total success on it. he is putting us on it for 2 mos. i really hope this works for us! i am tired of smoking and damaging my lungs even further. oxygen is one thing i hope i will never need!
best of luck to you....keep on that healthy, smoke-free road....bev

Old 05-13-2007, 05:34 PM   #12
(female)

mylilcruz HB User

I'm so sorry I'm late in responding! I'm on Chantix and it has had helped incredibly. I've tried to stop smoking several times and I think I'm finally on the road to being a non-smoker. It's been very hard at times, I will not lie to you, but the alternative is not a good one. I urge you and your husband to try this drug, along with a low dosage of the patch, and my prayer is that you will be successful!

Closed Thread