It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
No smokes but plenty of hives!!

Hi folks! It has been one week today without a cigarette but I have been so sick with my ongoing hive problem and nicotine withdrawal that I've either spent the week in bed or at the allergist. Has anyone ever gotten the hives from quitting (because your system is a mess) or really gotten worse with their chronic hive problem? My doc changed me from Doxepin to two Claritin in the am and 1-2 Periactin at night for a month. I can always get quit, but need so much help in staying quit. Luckily, I have a support group to go to tomorrow night. I really love this board as it's been so helpful in my past attempts. Keep your fingers crossed that this is it! Hopeto--

Old 05-03-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
(female)

Key2Life HB User
Re: No smokes but plenty of hives!!

No hives, but I can relate to having my system "a mess" after quitting. My depression, at one point under control with Lexapro, suddenly went into overdrive after I quit. I was a mess.

I would have never thought that nicotine (or the lack thereof) would have sent my normal functioning body into crazy mode, but it sure did.

Does your allergist think your body started creating more antibodies, thus the hives?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Key2! My allergist is baffled right now because 1.) I do have allergies anyway. 2.)My thyroid antibodies were up 6 mos. ago but are now normal.3.) I don't think he believed that he had to change my meds so soon after only 6 mos. In this past week, it seems that no matter what I eat or breathe or put on my body, I am SOOOO sensitive to it. Had to change soap and shampoo, too, to totally free and clear. This is just how I was like as a child 45-50 years ago--always at the doctor's office. My mother couldn't put me out in the yard because I'd be covered with a rash. Like coming around full circle with absolutely no addictive substances in my body (i.e. alcohol, caffeine, nicotine) and going back to babyhood. I feel like the boy in the glass bubble.! Oh well, like they tell me-- "One day at a time!") Take care--Hopeto

Old 05-04-2007, 07:13 AM   #4
(female)

Key2Life HB User

Hopeto - I feel for you. It's so frustrating...I imagined having this perfectly healthy, balanced body, free of nicotine and toxins once I quit...and right now I have this depressed, bloated, tired body! But, it's just going to take time to get everything "normal" again. Hang in there - it's all worth it! - Key2

Old 05-05-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Key2--Would you believe that I actually said to my husband this week, "You know today's a beautiful day"! I'm saying this to him while I'm scratching the scalp off of my head raw! I keep visualizing that a year from now that I'll be itch-free, still ciggie-free, and maybe pursuing an exercise program (I can't right now--I'm too itchy and it just makes it worse!) Thanks so much for the support--you don't know how much I appreciate it. Right now my smoking class is facing termination at the local hospital effective 5/31/07 and I'm looking for a new group. Keep your fingers crossed that I find one soon! Take care--Hopeto--

Old 05-08-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
(male)

triplexlamb HB User

wait, have you always had a problem with hives? i stopped smoking with Wellbutrin and got hives. i thought that it was the Wellbutrin that made me break out. but now i'm wondering if it was cause i stopped smoking! i mean, i smoked a pack a day, then BAM! never again lol

Old 05-08-2007, 08:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Triplex! I got a case of hives so bad in February of 2001 from that darned Wellbutrin--mostly delayed reaction--but it also could have been because of the food dye (red) because I'm allergic to that. They keep checking my thyroid and only once did it show elevated antibodies (72 with a ratio of 0-60). Now, not only did I have such an awful outbreak resulting in Claritin, Nasonex, Periactin and now Prednisone(with the antihistamines stopped by Friday for allergy testing), I am now suffering with my diverticulosis. IT SEEMS LIKE I FELT BETTER WHEN I WAS SMOKING!! Only in a small way, but in the long run, I know it was killing me. It's been almost 13 days without one and let me tell you THIS IS SO DARNED HARD!!! But, I'm amazed that I make each day without it, though. I am the most miserable sob to get along with, but I figure it's because of the allergies and the diverticulosis. AND GOD FORBID IF ANYONE DISTURBS MY SLEEP! Like you feel like committing manslaughter. All this and being 22 1/2 years in alcohol recovery, over 8 years without Klonopin, 6 years caffeine recovery, and right now, no antidepressants. I'm not trying to win an Academy Award; I just keep asking God to help me feel better. You made me feel so not alone when you told me about your experience with the Wellbutrin. I was so sick I couldn't breathe right either. My husband took it for depression and felt so much better, but everyone's makeup is different. We'll have to join "Bupropion Anonymous" because it's poison to us! LOL Any time in the past I have always gotten the hives from quitting smoking, but I think the thyroid thing was suppressed for years and it always reactivates after quitting the cigs. Maybe others have had the same experience also. Would love to hear from others with this problem, too. Take care and happy scratching --Hopeto--

Closed Thread