It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2007, 06:43 AM   #1
(female)

Key2Life HB User
Water retention like crazy

Anyone noticed water retention as a side effect of quitting? It's been 18 days...the first week I gained 6 lbs and it hasn't gone away yet.

I've been logging my calories in a food journal and working out 1 hour day, so I know it's not from overeating. It's water, and it's stubborn! One day I'll be 3 lbs. lighter, and the next morning it's back! Can't get my rings off, either.

I've increased my antidepressant dosage since I've quit to combat some depression, so I wonder if that's part of it, also?...anyway, just wondering if anyone else has had this bothersome side effect.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Re: Water retention like crazy

What's your sodium intake like? Try to monitor that and see if it makes a difference. also diet colas can help pack on the weight.

good luck and keep up the greta work with quitting it's so worth it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
(female)

michele1975 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamsmom View Post
What's your sodium intake like? Try to monitor that and see if it makes a difference. also diet colas can help pack on the weight.

good luck and keep up the greta work with quitting it's so worth it.
WHAT??? Diet cola makes you gain weight? Oh no, what will I drink that has flavor? LOL!

Old 05-04-2007, 05:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Watered down juices, some of those powdered drinks you add to water, basically water is the best thing for you. But when shopping you'll be suprised how much sodium there is in food so if you monitor it it helps.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:54 AM   #5
(female)

Key2Life HB User

I never look at sodium on the label (just calories) so that could be the problem...I'll have to start monitoring it from now on.

I also know that I don't get my 8 - 8oz glasses of water a day, so I'll have to start doing that too.

It's weird...seems like my body is different now that I've quit.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:20 AM   #6
(female)

Reyne HB User

Ohhh.... I blew up the first few months after I quit. My hubby did also. I just felt like I was going to pop. I went to my Dr in tears. I think it is your body adjusting. It does go away and get better. I never have and still to this day have a problem with sodium...I think my body just freaked.

Hang in there!! I have 9 months smoke free...so worth it. I did gain some but that is all my fault for my new love of chocolate.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
(female)

Key2Life HB User

I also feel like I'm going to pop! I feel like a big ol' water balloon...

Thanks for letting me know that it might take a few months. Info from another site said after 2 weeks your body should adjust...well, I'm looking at almost 3 and still bloated like crazy.

I'll hang in there, I guess!

Old 05-06-2007, 08:29 AM   #8
(female)

Izzy51 HB User

Hi All. 6 months smoke free today!! Off nicotine replacement for 2 1/2 months! Starting to feel crummy physically this past month. BLOATED - CONSTIPATED AND DEPRESSED!! Been watching diet - exercise everyday- drinking tons of water. Don't know what's going on. Have gained 5 pounds that feel like 25. Feel lethargic and achy! Do I need a doctor or psychiatrist??
Thanks for listening and best wishes to all.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Nicotine replacement is just puttin off the inevitable slowly so it makes sense that you're still feeling like you just quit. I quit cold turkey and felt like I was dying for about a week or two than all the fun side affects cropped up than after about 3 months I started to feel "NORMAL" if you can use that word in the same sentence and still be describing me. When you think about it smoking speeds up your metabolism among many other things so the fact that you put on weight is to be expected I mean isn't it one of the reasons most women are afraid to quit in the first place??? Please keep track of the sodium in your food, eat much more fruits and veggies, fiber, than you normally do, drink more water than you think you should, walk every oportunity that you get, and soon you'll be straightened out it just takes some patience considering how many years we've been abusing our lungs it's no wondering it takes a while getting back to normal.

Last edited by Liamsmom; 05-06-2007 at 01:59 PM.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:30 AM   #10
(female)

Key2Life HB User

Well, I found something that helped...a low GI diet. (Good carbs only, whole wheats and fruits and veggies. About 100-200 g carbs daily.)

I've been on it for a week and already lost the 5 lbs. of water I was storing!

Of course, this diet change eliminated the extra sodium in my diet so I'm sure that helped as well!

Anyway, it's worth a shot if someone out there is suffering the BLOAT like I was.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:00 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Hey ya'll wanted to check in on the bloat situation. Key congrats on the weight loss I myself am on the right road again and lost 12 lbs so far only 35ish more to go.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:22 AM   #12
(female)

Key2Life HB User

Congrats to you too Liamsmom! It's always nice to hear someone is having success losing weight and NOT SMOKING! I'm still trying to eat low GI and it's really helped...except for the mother's day cookout over the weekend when I totally fell off the wagon.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:39 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Key about 2 yrs ago I was on the diet I'm on now and lost 67 lbs I've found that if we are so very strict in a diet it's bound to fail so don't feel bad about going off the diet for a day of celebration as long you get back on the diet again that's what matters.

Kepp up the great work dieting and not smoking it'll all get so much easier you'll see.

Closed Thread