It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
(female)

sally12 HB User
15 months quit but still craving

Hi,
I quit smoking 15 months ago after my mum died I lost weight and found it quite easy to start with but it seems to be getting harder nearly every day I crave a cig Im finding it really hard I quit using the nicorette inhaler, I used that for 3 months and found it quite easy to stop using that as well, I thought the hardest time was the first few months, Im finding it harder every day now I cant go back on them and dont want to, FIL told me the other day he is 25 years off them and the odd day he still gets a craving, my sister is 5 years off them and said she never has a craving any more, anyone out there off them a long time and still crave, some people have said to try reading the quit smoking books might help
Any sugesstions
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
(female)

nmc2007 HB User
Re: 15 months quit but still craving

Hi,

I also use the NRT inhaler for quitting cigarettes, 9 months ago ... and I still have moments of craving. They come and go everyday!

Occasionally, when the craving becomes to strong to cope, I have to take one or 2 puffs from the NRT inhaler. Although the use of the inhaler is not recommended beyond the 6-months period, in my case, I still keep it as my last line of defense.

Cheers,
nmc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #3
(female)

Reyne HB User

I am 9 months quit and once in a while I just crave. But then I think the grass is always greener. Meaning all smokers want to quit and when you quit you think you want to smoke.

When I get a whiff of a smoker...that is enough for me to turn up my nose. Smoking really was not that great stop letting your junky mind get to you.

You are a quitter remember!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 08:19 AM   #4
(female)

sally12 HB User

Hi thanks for the replys
nmc2007 i have started carrying the inhaler with me again I never had to use it but it is a help to know that it in my bag and I can use it,

reyne you are right I am a quitter and intend to stay that way some days it is so hard but I never intend to start again.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:00 PM   #5
(female)

lucall HB User

Go take a walk it is all in the mind and drink a big glass of water and Say Yee Haw!!! I am smoke free...

Old 05-23-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

NMC Like I posted below my husband quit in the 70's and still at times craves a cig. I thhink this is normal.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

I stopped using the patch and hypnosis. Last year at about the 4 month mark I had cravings and anxiety really badly. So I started smoking again for 2 months. Went back on the patch for 5 months (dr approved) and then was off for 4 months when the cravings and anxiety came back. This time went back on lowest dose patch. Have been on it a couple of weeks. Will go off it again soon. Mom, sister in law, and husband have all stopped 20 years or more and none of them crave cigarettes. Some of us have a harder time than others. Keep up the good work. I do not use the word quit. In my stop smoking hyonsis cd the term used is winner. I envision myself crossing a finish line made of cigarettes. I burst through it with my hands in the air jumping up and down yelling I am a winner. Hope this helps. God bless

Old 05-29-2007, 07:06 PM   #8
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Marian:

That's a great idea - "winner" - we are all winners in my book! I am 13 weeks smoke-free and never look back. I hardly think about it anymore. This weekend was my first plane trip as a non-smoker. I saw the people hanging out in front of the airport, trying to get that last puff in - and I can remember racing off the plane, running outside to light up - before getting my luggage. How sad....I was.....but now......AM SMOKE-FREE!! AND LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!

Congrats to all you non-smokers!!

Closed Thread