It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

lawdhamurcy1 HB User
Trying to quit...

I suffer from depression and anxiety. I've been smoking since I was literally a child. I believe I was 8 years old the first time I stole one of mom's cigs, but I started smoking everyday when I was about 14 or 15. I am 27 now, and I've tried to quit several times with each time lasting no more than 3 days. Everytime I've tried to quit, my depression gets a whole lot worse, and I'm in such a horrible mood, I don't even want to be around myself. Any suggestions on how to quit! Thanks in advance.
P.S. I am terrified of gaining weight, as my body needs no more weight on it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
(female)

Fibrana HB User
Re: Trying to quit...

Hi,

You can do this! Keep remembering your reasons for quitting, be proud of yourself, keep coming here for support and to other boards, use the patch or whatever you need to help you get through. I also suffer from depression and anxiety and yes, it's been a lot worse since quitting, but I'm hanging in there. Maybe your doctor can prescribe something to help the anxiety. I'm on lorazepam to help me sleep and newly started on neurontin at bedtime which is supposed to help anxiety also.

It's not easy, but you can do this and then you will be so proud of yourself. It will give you something positive in your life to be happy about. Whenever I feel like cheating, I just remember that I'm doing great, friends and family are so proud of me, and I feel good about myself. It's the one good thing I can count on in my life right now.

Let us know how you are doing and best of luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

lawdhamurcy1 HB User

Congrats on being smoke free! I do have another question if someone can answer for me. I recently purchased health insurance. (Coverage starts on May 15th-have doc appt on the 22nd) Anyway, BCBS does not know that I am still smoking. Because of prior health issues my premium is sky high even without admitting to smoking. If I tell my doctor on the 22nd, that I want to quit smoking and he prescribes me something, will the insurance company find out about it? I'm pretty sure the doc will give me something for anxiety, so that doesnt neccesarily have anything to do with smoking right? I'd just hate for my doc to prescribe something that is specifically to quit smoking. Thanks in advance

Last edited by lawdhamurcy1; 05-10-2007 at 01:53 PM. Reason: typo

Old 05-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
(female)

Key2Life HB User

Any drug that can be used to treat anxiety and/or depression should not be a red flag to your insurance company...Wellbutrin is commonly prescribed for depression (took it myself for that reason) but used for smoking cessation as a kind of "fringe benefit".

At least you are aware that quitting may cause your depression/anxiety to get worse...I had no idea that would happen until I quit 3 weeks ago. And then came the "downward spiral" of depression, sucking me down and causing everyone around me to run for cover! I was on a low dose of Lexapro at the time and the dr. raised it...after a week or so my mood levelled off (THANK GOD) and my husband started speaking to me again!

Definitely talk to your dr. about all your options and make sure he/she knows you are prone to depression/anxiety. I'm sure they will get you on a proper dose of meds to get you over the rough patches, if you decide on meds, that is! And the "rough patches" aren't so bad...they are so worth it in the end!

And the weight gain thing...I was worried about that too but I've found it's not an issue if you work at it. I lost my initial water weight gain by changing my diet so that means my weight is about the same (maybe a bit less) than before I quit! I've channelled the energy I used to put into smoking into calorie counting and working out, so that helps. It's nice to be able to breathe and exercise!

Good luck and check back to let us know how you are.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

lawdhamurcy1 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I've been on Lexapro before and that is like a water pill for me. I've taken prozac, well-butrin, and zoloft for my depression/anxiety, and zoloft seemed to be the only one that helped even a small bit. Then they came out with the generic version of zoloft which I don't care who says different but that stuff is crap and is not the same. I get migraine headaches often to, so anti-depressant medicine makes those worse.

I have a pack and a half left, and seriously wanting to quit. It would be nice the money I'll save too if I'm able to quit.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Noni33 HB User

Hi, Their is nothing like exercise for weight. I make it part of my work day. I tell my friends that I work every day till 7:00 so I make sure I go. Good Luck

Old 05-14-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
(female)

Boo63 HB User

I quit smoking 7 months ago now and it took a couple of tries to do it. I did it cold turkey. I feel that using the "patch" or anything else just prolongs the suffering. Everybody has their own way, though.

What I did was hibernate for three days - my husband took care of everything and kept me fed. I didn't talk to or interact with anyone! The first 3 days are the worst - if you can get through that, then the cravings ease off significantly! Now, I just get the odd craving here and there, easy to shrug off. If you do go cold turkey, have lots to keep you occupied. I did jigsaw puzzles and ate nibblies. Going for walks helps too, exercise is great for quitting.

As for the weight gain, if you stick to eating fresh veggies for that oral satisfaction, you'll gain a minimum. Studies show that in order for you to have the same health risk as smoking, you would have to gain 50 pounds. Work on quitting, then work on losing the weight.

Whatever method you use, if at first you don't succeed, keep trying! You'll do it eventually!

Good luck!

Old 05-17-2007, 12:57 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

lawdhamurcy1 HB User

This could be really bad timing. My SO is out with his back right now. Bills are stressing me to the max, my ex is trying to get his child support reduced, my daughter is having problems in school, my son is pooping his pants, sometimes my SO gets a serious attitude because he's tired of being in pain, my depression has gotten worse etc etc

Yet, I just smoked my last cigarette. I haven't bought anymore because I want to try yet again to quit. The longest I've ever been is 3 days. But with everything going on, I'm thinking maybe I picked a bad time to try and quit. Sigh, any advice?

Old 05-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Noni33 HB User

I really don't think there is ever a good time,or a better time but the present but every one is different. Just the fact that your here and wanting to quit says a lot.

Wish you the best

Closed Thread