It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2007, 05:49 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User
starting chantix this week

i have been smoking for 45 yrs. longest quit was 2x at 4 mos. each. i am a 2 pk a day smoker, also, hubby smokes. we are both starting on chantix 5/18. we have both used every stop smoking aid there is, also cold turkey.
i need encouragement right now. already getting nervous about quitting. what does chantix do for you to have great results on it? is it different from anything i have tried in the past?
also, doc only gave us 2 mos. worth and said it should be plenty. has anyone had to take it for more than 2 mos?
all the info and support i can get is greatly appreciated.

thanks, bev

Last edited by Administrator; 05-18-2007 at 11:09 PM.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
(male)

Jack45 HB User
Re: starting chantix this week

I am 7 weeks into the Chantex treatment (42 days quit). I Quit on April 1. I am pleased with Chantix so far. I still want a cigarette real bad most of the time but i don't just "have" to have one.

The first day was the hardest one. I slipped up and didn't get through my first 24 hours until 4 days after I should have. I now use the reasoning that I don't want to have to go through that first day again to help me put a smoke off.

Chantix blocks the cigatrette pleasure centers so I know that if I do smoke, I won't enjoy it very much.

Last edited by Jack45; 05-14-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2007, 05:31 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Noni33 HB User

Bev, I have been on Chantix for 15 days now, Every day I surprise myself. I find that I will never start over from day one. I understand your anxiety but that will pass real soon. It is just one day at a time, don't think to far ahead because that will just drive you up a wall. Good luck, I really believe it will surprise you too.
Noni33

Old 05-14-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
(female)

marissamm HB User

i have been quit for a month now , and i took chantix for 3 weeks and stopped taken it due to side effects, my husband also quit no problems we just used chantix as a head start and we are both fine we havent taken chantix in 2 weeks and we are doing ok.so good luck!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 04:55 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Noni33 HB User

Hi, I also am blessed with anxiety (lol) and taking Chantix, I have had no problem what so ever with it. I am on my 17th day smoke free and feel pretty good. Had a good day yesterday and hope to have more like them.

Best of luck to you

Noni33

Old 05-16-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
(female)

anewme HB User

Hey Bevann26 I started chantix 8 days ago. My quit date is tomorrow (Thursday) the 17th. so we are quitting about the same time.. I have been smoking for about 30 years. I have wanted to quit for a long time . With chantix I have hope that I can do it!! Side effects that I have had is hot flashes, odd dreams and feeling sleepy. I wish you luck I know that we can do this!

Old 05-16-2007, 05:56 PM   #7
(female)

jellybean3009 HB Userjellybean3009 HB User

I am also taking Chantix but can't tolerate the full dosage due to side-effects. Do you think there would be any benefits if I take 1/2 in the am and 1/2 in the pm? I don't seem to have any side-effects doing this but I don't want to waste my medication. I am trying SO hard.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:12 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean3009 View Post
I am also taking Chantix but can't tolerate the full dosage due to side-effects. Do you think there would be any benefits if I take 1/2 in the am and 1/2 in the pm? I don't seem to have any side-effects doing this but I don't want to waste my medication. I am trying SO hard.
I'm having the same trouble with side effects on the full dosage. The am pill is ok, but the pm pill makes me soooo nauseous.

I've read some very old posts, and it seems a poster or two did have success with breaking the pills in half and taking them four times a day. I'm going to do that with my pm pill and take half with dinner and half at bedtime.

Best of luck!

Old 05-17-2007, 12:21 PM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StenoLady1 View Post
I'm having the same trouble with side effects on the full dosage. The am pill is ok, but the pm pill makes me soooo nauseous.

I've read some very old posts, and it seems a poster or two did have success with breaking the pills in half and taking them four times a day. I'm going to do that with my pm pill and take half with dinner and half at bedtime.

Best of luck!
StenoLady, are you still smoking while taking Chantix? Unfortunately, I am.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:58 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes

On a positive note, however, I've gone from 2 1/2 packs per day down to about 10 cigs per day in 12 days. But none of us (DH, my mother and I) were able to quit on the seventh day. And they taste AWFUL. Really sick. They taste bad and smell very strange. I think I'm just holding on out of fear of nicotine withdrawal.

DH is still smoking, too, even on the Chantix. We're both thinking tomorrow will be our last day and Saturday will be our official quit date. It's like 80 percent of me is ready and 20 isn't. Hopefully tomorrow will be 90 percent ready!

The nausea is awful, tho. I have it the worst out of our group. My night is OVER when I take that pm pill. I've just been going to bed and laying down and falling asleep at like eight o'clock. Although, with these lovely dreams, that ain't too bad

I'm splitting the pm pill tonight and taking half with dinner and half at bedtime with something, I guess, to eat (wonder what that will do to the dreams). It's the season finale of the Office, so I have to make it! I didn't have this problem on the first week's dosage.

How long have you been on Chantix? My mom's only been feeling in the last day or two that the med would even work for her, and she's been taking it since last Monday, what, 5/7? I do hear it's different for everyone on "when you know" it's time to put them down for good.

Good luck

Old 05-17-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StenoLady1 View Post
Yes

On a positive note, however, I've gone from 2 1/2 packs per day down to about 10 cigs per day in 12 days. But none of us (DH, my mother and I) were able to quit on the seventh day. And they taste AWFUL. Really sick. They taste bad and smell very strange. I think I'm just holding on out of fear of nicotine withdrawal.

DH is still smoking, too, even on the Chantix. We're both thinking tomorrow will be our last day and Saturday will be our official quit date. It's like 80 percent of me is ready and 20 isn't. Hopefully tomorrow will be 90 percent ready!

The nausea is awful, tho. I have it the worst out of our group. My night is OVER when I take that pm pill. I've just been going to bed and laying down and falling asleep at like eight o'clock. Although, with these lovely dreams, that ain't too bad

I'm splitting the pm pill tonight and taking half with dinner and half at bedtime with something, I guess, to eat (wonder what that will do to the dreams). It's the season finale of the Office, so I have to make it! I didn't have this problem on the first week's dosage.

How long have you been on Chantix? My mom's only been feeling in the last day or two that the med would even work for her, and she's been taking it since last Monday, what, 5/7? I do hear it's different for everyone on "when you know" it's time to put them down for good.

Good luck
Like you, I am down from 2 packs per day to about 10 cigs. This is a huge improvement but not good enough. I want to be SMOKE FREE!! I hate to try to find hiding places to smoke. I feel like a criminal.
I started Chantix in January and was doing well. Then, but my brother died suddenly from a massive heart attack and I immediately started smoking like never before. I totally stopped Chantix then.
Last week I decided to try again. I started with the AM and PM dosage and was sick as hell. I decided to reduce the amount to 1/2 am and 1/2 pm. No more side-effects. But, I still have a strong desire for the 10 cigs I am smoking. I guess I was expecting a miracle with Chantix. I thought it would take the desire away totally. At least that's the impression I got from the media hype before it hit the market. I'll keep trying.

Good luck to you!!

Old 05-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #12
(female)

jewels0203 HB User

orginally posted by stenolady1

To stop smoking is hard. I know what you are talking about being scared to quit. I have been taking Chantix for two weeks now. I didn't stop on my quit day. I have actually gone one day without smoking. I just smoked less each day, untill I was smoking three cig a day. Than I quit. Don't try to put to much pressure on yourself, and give yourself more credit, because this is not easy, but I think one day it will be easier. You are doing alot already by going down to 10 cig a day. You haven't stopped yet, but know that you can do this.
My mother smoked for most of her life, she quit by using chantix and that is why I am doing it now. I never thought she would of quit. But now it has been 6 months for her. And she does'nt even think about it anymore. For me if she can quit I can too.
I have been coming to the message board for about a month now. It helps me to read the board. To know that I am not alone in this and other people have quit. But this is my first reply on the board.
I wanted to reply to you because I do understand the anxiety of quiting and it is hard. I just want you to know that You can do this, I am and sometimes it is hard but other times it's a breeze.

Last edited by jewels0203; 05-18-2007 at 12:24 PM.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #13
(female)

jewels0203 HB User

To stop smoking is hard. I know what you are talking about being scared to quit. I have been taking Chantix for two weeks now. I didn't stop on my quit day. I have actually gone one day without smoking. I just smoked less each day, untill I was smoking three cig a day. Than I quit. Don't try to put to much pressure on yourself, and give yourself more credit, because this is not easy, but I think one day it will be easier. You are doing alot already by going down to 10 cig a day. You haven't stopped yet, but know that you can do this.
My mother smoked for most of her life, she quit by using chantix and that is why I am doing it now. I never thought she would of quit. But now it has been 6 months for her. And she does'nt even think about it anymore. For me if she can quit I can too.
I have been coming to the message board for about a month now. It helps me to read the board. To know that I am not alone in this and other people have quit. But this is my first reply on the board.
I wanted to reply to you because I do understand the anxiety of quiting and it is hard. I just want you to know that You can do this, I am and sometimes it is hard but other times it's a breeze.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:58 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for your post, Jewels

Well, I was all excited because by five o'clock, I'd only smoked five cigs. Thought for sure I was coming down the home stretch.

Then we went to happy hour, wine, beers, tons of smokers. Ugh. Needless to say, I've way exceeded my 10 cigs today.

Anyway, tomorrow's a new day, and no more happy hour -- at least out at a bar ... at home might be okay -- until I'm feeling a bit more in control.

Weird, at home during the week, taking the Chantix, I haven't had any craving whatsoever for a drink. None. DH's been on antibiotics, so he couldn't have any wine with dinners, but he said he wasn't missing having our nightly glass of wine at all. Weird. Maybe it won't be hard to pass up a glass of wine or beer on this medication.

Happy Friday

Old 05-18-2007, 10:53 PM   #15
(male)

iplay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevann26 View Post
i have been smoking for 45 yrs. longest quit was 2x at 4 mos. each. i am a 2 pk a day smoker, also, hubby smokes. we are both starting on chantix 5/18. we have both used every stop smoking aid there is, also cold turkey.
could i hear some chantix quit stories? i need encouragement right now. already getting nervous about quitting. what does chantix do for you to have great results on it? is it different from anything i have tried in the past?
also, doc only gave us 2 mos. worth and said it should be plenty. has anyone had to take it for more than 2 mos?
all the info and support i can get is greatly appreciated.

thanks, bev
i have been smoke free now since november '06. been smoking 1 pack a day for 35 yrs.
chantex was unbelievable. never, ever thought i'd quit. don't EVEN want one anymore and the few times i thought about it the first couple of wks, the thought vanished in 30 seconds. i took chantex for about 3 and a half weeks.
Good Luck!

Closed Thread