It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
From smoking addiction to food addiction!

Hi all! I've crossed over from smoking addiction to food addiction in 23 days! I literally can't stop eating! I'm not hiding the fact, either. I just cannot get enough food and I don't need to gain another blessed pound. It's not even junk either! I am literally CRAVING salad, ice cream, & chicken--it's like I'm pregnant all over again. The last time I had my blood checked, it was fine(iron-wise, too). I could care less about bread and junk--it's the calcium, protein, and vegetables. Has anyone else had a similar problem that surpasses normal nicotine withdrawal and eating? I was having a problem with the anti-depressant I was taking, so I had to stop that and also wonder if the food is taking the place of the med as well. I would love to hear from others. Thanks so much--Hopeto

Old 05-19-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
(female)

vanessasjeep HB User
Re: From smoking addiction to food addiction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopetofeelwell1 View Post
Hi all! I've crossed over from smoking addiction to food addiction in 23 days! I literally can't stop eating! I'm not hiding the fact, either. I just cannot get enough food and I don't need to gain another blessed pound. It's not even junk either! I am literally CRAVING salad, ice cream, & chicken--it's like I'm pregnant all over again. The last time I had my blood checked, it was fine(iron-wise, too). I could care less about bread and junk--it's the calcium, protein, and vegetables. Has anyone else had a similar problem that surpasses normal nicotine withdrawal and eating? I was having a problem with the anti-depressant I was taking, so I had to stop that and also wonder if the food is taking the place of the med as well. I would love to hear from others. Thanks so much--Hopeto
This same thing happened to me. I was just stuffing myself. I am a weightloss counselor, so this is very out of the ordinary for me (I quit the gum BTW, smoke free for about 2 years, gum free now for a month or so).

I gained 5 pounds, and I had some really strange bloating and sluggishness issues with my digestive system.

I am not longer eating everything that isn't nailed down, but I am finding it really slow to come off and am still kind of bloated. I'm counting calories to manage it.

I just think that gaining a ton of weight would stress me out to the point that I would want to chew again.

It does get better so hang in there. HTH!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #3
(female)

Username: HB User

Hello! I too have had the cravings and recently decided to work on it. I quit back on April 1st and am still smoke free! I started gaining weight so about 4weeks ago I decided to do something about it. I started taking green tea extract vitamins to help curb my appetite for the next month or so until the edge wears off. I also started taking a lot of vitamins to push myself to drink more water to help with the bloating and give me energy. (I drink a full glass of water when I take pills). I'm taking Vitamin C, cranberry, Calcium and occasionally fiber. These seem to help me out. Try focusing on being healthy, it seems to have pulled me out of it!

Old 05-30-2007, 06:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Vanessa and User! Thanks so much for your responses. Since my post a couple of weeks ago, I got in touch with my doctor who helped me at least get some sleep which is something I was not doing. The med that I take sort of helps me stabilize my mood and helps me sleep(Topamax). It is also stabilizing my appetite and in lieu of food I am drinking a ton of liquid (water, drinks with Splenda, rooibos tea, Cafix brand beverage, etc.). Now I stop and actually TASTE what I'm eating and am slowly satisfied with it. Granted, I really haven't lost any weight, but I haven't gained any either recently. I really have been masking a severe problem with depression and obsessions through my nicotine addiction. Being in recovery anyway, it was the last to go and now that it's gone, it's time to concentrate on the baseline stuff that's been driving me crazy for years and just filling in the empty places with self-destructive things. It's like being reborn at 50 years old!! I just pray it always feels this way. I hope I always have the strength for "one day at a time". Thanks again--Hopeto

Closed Thread