It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User
what works best to help me quit.

Hello all, I am a 30 plus year smoker who has stopped for a few days now. I feel so antsy and nasty and I am craving really badly. what product works the best these days, the patch, gum, lozengers? what are people using? I can't do the pill as my Dr does not know I smoke as I told him I quit a few years ago so I need a product I can buy OTC.

Thanks so much and I look forward to becoming a member of your support gropus as I will need all the support I can get. My main reason for quitting is that I have developed severe sleep apnea and will be seeing a lung Dr next month and he will not treat me if I am a smoker so now is a good time. plus I am weezing, couging and hacking up phlem so its time to stop.

Thanks again, I need to go to the store and get something soon, so I hope I can get a few good suggestions today...

Old 05-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User
Re: what works best to help me quit.

It seems like you might be doing the best way CT.Three days my. I wouldn't last 6 hours.If you do need something to help there is so many products out there and most all of them are over the counter. Find what is best for you. If you enjoy gum try that or if you like lozenges try that and if you don't like either try the patch. BTW I think your doctor might know you smoke unless you don't smoke for a few hours prior to a visit and even if he doesn't he will understand and help you. Lots of luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

My Dr does not no I smoke as I NEVER smoked before my apts and I always showered and put on fresh clean clothes and I did not smoke inside so was not possible for him to smell it on me. I am so sick of lying.

So I have the patch on and its really helping me to not CRAVE and not be such a mean person, and I have stopped crying and feeling sorry for myself. so far I am on day 2 and have not been over eating either, I Am eating hard sugar free candy and gum. I can't afford to gain an ounce as I am already pretty ***** but if I do I do. I can always loose the weight. my lungs already feel a little bit better.....

Old 05-24-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Way to go and you are right do not worry sbout any weight gain you can lose that and it seems like you are eating what you should.
They only reaso I said your doctor might already know is that I would always have a cig before I went to see my doctor but I always got his first app't of the day so I wouldn't have to wait.When I would get up in the am I needed my cigs and since I am a bath person I always take a bath at night.I am not a morning person and most likly would drown or fall asleep in the tub in the morning.
Wishing you well.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

Keep up the good work. I used the patch and hypnosis. I am almost at 10 months. In the last 16 months I have only smoked 2 months. Was off the patch for 4 months and had to go back on lowest dose a couple of weeks ago. Last year when the cravings got bad I started smoking again for 2 months. Not this time. This is a long road but it does get easier. Before to long you will go a day without thinking about smoking. Are you changing some of you behaviors. Like taking a walk after dinner or not drinking coffee for awhile? That helps. God bless

Closed Thread