It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 07:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Needing to vent -- or type so I don't smoke!

Greetings, all.

I've done it. Smoked my last cig on Tuesday morning, 10:00 a.m., after being on Chantix for two weeks and a day. Having a tough time.

Please tell me it gets better?

The nausea is awful. I can handle the pm pill a little better now and don't have to split it, but the morning pill is just the pits. I thought I'd try taking a whole one this morning to help with cravings, and I'm so sick now. Honestly, I think half the reason why Chantix works is because you're too nauseous to even consider lighting up.

No problems here with constipation -- or the opposite, and I'm having no trouble sleeping. The dreams are lovely. So vivid. I do find I'm sleeping much lighter now, tho. The slightest thing wakes me up. I am a person that the sonic boom from the Space Shuttle doesn't wake up. On this med, the sound of my dog's collar clinking against her nametag during the night wakes me up.

Someone mentioned a while ago sensitive teeth. I have that now! My whole mouth is sensitive, even the roof. I can't handle cold anything. Water needs to be room temperature. I wonder if it has anything to do with the copious amounts of sugar-free gum I'm chewing?

The various smells are interesting. I smell all sorts of things, some good; some not so good.

Anyway, hope my post is okay, hope it's useful to someone going through this -- maybe someone's been right where I am and can offer some words of wisdom, too?

I hope I don't miss being a smoker. I feel like part of my identity is gone

When does it get better? And I don't care how you quit, i.e., patch, inhaler, gum, meds, osmosis -- whatever. I've cried more in the last 24 hours than I have in the last 10 years. When will I feel human again?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2007, 08:02 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Noni33 HB User
Re: Needing to vent -- or type so I don't smoke!

You sure will, This is my fourth week on Chantix and I must say the first two weeks I felt like I lived in the fog. I did not get the nausea at all , am having the vivid dreams and water retention. I guess it affects all different but I can say I do think this is working for me. I think we all know that eventually we will have to quit so I would rather do it myself than have a doctor tell me I must quit. Good luck to you and take one day at a time.

Noni

Old 05-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Hi Stenolady,

I guess everyone is different in their quit, but I'm at 7 weeks now and can tell you how I am doing at least. My first week was the hardest as far as physical withdrawals (heavy lungs, super cravings), however I was on a "high" and excited about quitting. Got used to not smoking pretty much, especially at work. I had trouble around the 3rd or 4th week and cheated once. Just wanted to remember what smoking was like. It tasted pretty bad, like the first one you ever inhaled, and I felt really guilty. My only other cheat was last Saturday after attending a birthday party and having a few drinks. I bummed one off the person driving me home.

I find I'm doing better, but it's hard when I'm around someone smoking or know someone has cigarettes on them. We don't really have to see it too much anymore with all the laws!

All I can suggest is to hang in there and tough it out. Keep putting positive messages in your brain. I went on the internet and looked at photos of people with face and neck cancer and try to keep that in my mind when I want to smoke. It is a little discouraging sometimes to talk to people who have quit for years and hear that they still crave cigarettes! I do think it gets easier though.

Now I'm saying to myself, "give it a year, and if you don't feel better, you can always smoke again!". Just a little trick I have to play with myself.

Mostly, feel proud of yourself for what you are accomplishing every day by not smoking. Reward yourself! I buy myself a nice coffee or two everyday now (usually drink tea at the office), and treat myself to lunch or dinner occasionally.

Well, those are my thoughts for now. I hope I gave you some advice that might help.

"Smoking is no longer an option!"

Old 05-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Noni33 HB User

Fibrana, I thought I was the only one with that saying. ......

Noni

Old 05-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
(female)

Fibrana HB User

LOL!!! Here's another one: NOPE (not one puff ever!)

Hey, we have to laugh about this or we'll just cry! LOL

Old 05-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you, ladies

I *think* I'm feeling a little better now <gulp>. It really helps to get out of the house. I work half from home, half out and about in law offices, and the working from home is VERY depressing.

Like y'all said, I'm really trying to focus on the positives. Between DH & I, we've saved $30 in cigs, so I'm buying nice candles and flowers to brighten up the house today. My lungs felt incredible within 24 hours of quitting. It was like air was getting to places in my lungs where it hadn't reached in over 20 years. And it finally didn't hurt to laugh hard! Believe it or not, one of the things that woke me during that first night of my quit was taking a really deep breath in my sleep. It felt soooo good.

Anyway, one day at a time for sure. I'm trying to treat myself to other things, but everything tastes so weird or becomes a trigger. Last night, DH & I went out for burgers and brews (bigtime treat for us) and the beer tasted so strange. Not good, not bad; just "off." By the time I'd gotten half of it down, then I realized my beer was missing its best friend, what I always did with my beer ... have a smoke. After that, I realized I might be waiting a week or two for anything alcoholic. Burger was good

DH is quitting with me, and we're being affected so differently. I've become so needy and emotional. He's become so easily agitated and aggravated. Not good <sigh>. It just sucks. Neither of us are this way "normally." I'm really hoping it's just the nicotine withdrawals, because we were okay the first two weeks on the Chantix and smoking.

I wish I'd never smoked

Old 05-25-2007, 09:15 PM   #7
(female)

djm310 HB User

I stopped April 22 and I haven't started again or had one. I took chantix for 2 weekd before and I'm still on it. I thought I would DIE the first week. I literally had to go to bed, get under the covers, drink weird drinks, like anything carbonated...or sour, like limeaid. I wanted that kick in the back of my throat. I gained 3 lbs (big deal) AND IT'SA THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE. If I can do it, I swear anyone can...look back at my posts at the end of April. i was a lunatic. And now it is in the past. i am shicked and thrilled. You can do it.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:12 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you, DJ!

I did read your past posts and can relate so much. We're still sleeping a lot. DH & I just watch the clock until it hits about 8:30 or so and figure we'd just better go to bed.

I also agree about the drinks. The drinks I used to enjoy I don't enjoy at all right now. Only room temp water and homemade holistic teas are remotely enjoyable to me.

It's our first weekend being smoke free, since we quit on a Monday/Tuesday morning. I hit the health food store yesterday for something "calming." The owner suggested a high-end one-a-day vitamin with lots of B to get us started. He said if we're not "calmed enough" from that, come back and he'll break out the heavy artillery.

I'd read on a previous post about the difference between "need" and "want." Those are truly the words that describe this. Do I want one? Sure. I want a slice of pizza, tho, or an ice cream sundae, too. I don't need one.

The "wants," however, seem endless. I keep thinking, "Tomorrow I won't want one as much or as often," and I'm wrong. I really felt no change at the 72-hour point. I'm ready to turn the corner of lasting a few hours without thinking about one. Actually, I'd be happy with any benchmark right now, one I could see, feel or really notice.

And I'm keeping myself very busy. We had some stress doozies this week between our pool being resurfaced (found out the concrete "bowl" that's under/behind our pool has turned to dust), and my doctor of 12 years, the one that's prescribed Chantix to my entire family, dropped us because of a mistake HE put in our records, which in turn has rejected us from health insurance coverage. Frankly, I wasn't going to even call him my doctor much longer after the mistake he made (said DH had a history of skin cancer, which is completely false), but he will not give us a several-month prescription for Chantix. He said he'd only do it month by month, and to call him a week before we need a refill and he'd phone it in. Then I get this letter saying he will not treat us anymore, to find another doctor -- oh, and it can't be any of the 200 physicians that are a part of his affiliated groups. Thankfully he phoned in a three-month prescription for DH & I

I kept thinking of that movie, Airplane, where the guy says, "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking," LOL. Truly, I was afraid to answer the phone or look in the mailbox anymore. Why didn't this stuff happen when I was a smoker?

Okay, sorry I've rambled. If I'm typing, I ain't smoking, right?

Closed Thread