It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 09:40 PM   #16
(female)

angelawin HB User
Re: chantix

I hope you hang in there today and that tomorrow will be a better one for you!

Old 06-04-2007, 09:36 AM   #17
(female)

wilmaflintstone HB User

Hi All,
As per usual, the people who initiallytake any new meds are the real guinea pigs. I dread hearing any real serious side effects Chantix can/ may cause a few years from now. Currently I am 15 days in the hole with no smokes. Chantix is truly a miracle. I could probably go off of it right now and be OK, but I will probably finish out my entire presciption- ($114). I wish I had known about it sooner. It really, really works for anyone who is truly, emphatically ready to quit smoking. You have to want to quit in your your heart and mind. Chantix doesn't make you quit. It just makes it EASIER to quit.
No bad side effects for me. Had felt groggy in the beginning, but it's gone now. OF course everyday I think about lighting up, but it passes. Like I said, it isn't all on the pill. You have to show some self restraint too.
Best of Luck to all of you. I am rooting for ya!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #18
(female)

angelawin HB User

Day 3 of my quit is almost done........No real side affects from the Chantix and having quit cold turkey before I'd say it's much much easier this way!! I take deep sighs when I want to light up and it helps a bit. Kind of tempted to chew some leftover nicorette gum I have but I want to stay away from the jolt (which is what I'm seeking). From what I understand in just 3-4 days the nicotine will be out of my system and the rest is behavioral/psychological.
To all my fellow quitters out there...let's stay strong!!! We can get through this!

Old 06-11-2007, 03:57 PM   #19
(female)

MommaBryant HB User

Congrats, you should be on Day 4 now. Way to go.

Last edited by MommaBryant; 06-11-2007 at 04:09 PM.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:13 AM   #20
(male)

daddymatt HB User

Hi All-
So glad to read the discussions about Chantix, both pro and con. I am on day five of the starter pack, and am set to stop smoking on Wednesday, 6/20/07. So far, I have had none of the side effects, but I have noticed that just this morning my cigarettes are starting to taste a bit "funny", and make my mouth feel weird. I am committed to quitting, and this drug was recommended by a supervisor. I am under a lot of stress usually (Ph.D grad student), so I am hoping that the Chantix will help me find a way to deal with that stress other than picking up a cigarette.
I will keep updating as the time draws closer.
Thanks, and I may call on all of you for some support in the coming week.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:13 AM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

i noticed you took chantix for 20 days before your quit. had you selected a quit date when you first started? hubby and i have been on it for a wk, and still have not cut down or set a quit date. should we put ourselves through cutting down, even though we still have same cravings as before chantix?
i posted a new thread on here because we really need help!
bevann

Old 06-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #22
(female)

sarmee HB User

I am alittle bit worried...I feel kinda like a guinea pig being on chantix...I am just scarred that they dont know enough about this drug and its long term side effects..I have a really hard time sleeping at night its like my legs twitch and I toss and turn. I also have very vivid dreams but only sleep for an hour at a time and then wake up. I also feel like a fog is in my head. An sometimes in the morning unless I eat enough I get a stomach ache.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:46 AM   #23
(male)

daddymatt HB User

Ok all, here's one for you...
I am now on day 6 of the Chantix Rx, and am still feeling alright. Get a bit nauseous at times, but it goes away fast. BUT I AM SMOKING EVEN MORE THAN BEFORE. I used to smoke about a pack a day, sometimes 1.5 packs. Yesterday I smoked 2 packs...almost unheard of for me. I suspect that it is because the Chantix is blocking the receptors in my brain, and without thinking, I am trying to get "high" by smoking more. I am not especially anxious about quitting, and the cigs are continuing to taste a bit "off" and smell a little funny, but am I on the right track with this thinking? Anyone else have this issue in the first week of the med before the quit date? I stop smoking on Wednesday.
Thanks.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddymatt View Post
Ok all, here's one for you...
I am now on day 6 of the Chantix Rx, and am still feeling alright. Get a bit nauseous at times, but it goes away fast. BUT I AM SMOKING EVEN MORE THAN BEFORE. I used to smoke about a pack a day, sometimes 1.5 packs. Yesterday I smoked 2 packs...almost unheard of for me. I suspect that it is because the Chantix is blocking the receptors in my brain, and without thinking, I am trying to get "high" by smoking more. I am not especially anxious about quitting, and the cigs are continuing to taste a bit "off" and smell a little funny, but am I on the right track with this thinking? Anyone else have this issue in the first week of the med before the quit date? I stop smoking on Wednesday.
Thanks.
First, congratulations on your decision to become smoke-free.

I'd read some suggestions on these boards from older posts about how to "smoke" while on Chantix. FWIW, I smoked 15 days on Chantix; my mother smoked around 23 or 24. If the smokes are tasting funny (they gave me a bit of a sore throat) and smelling off to you, this is a good opportunity to ask yourself each time you light up if you "need" this smoke or simply "want" this smoke. A good test is to give yourself five minutes before lighting up. What is your coping plan of action once you quit, anyway? What will you do after meals, in the car, on the phone, with coffee or alcohol? Try implementing what you will be doing once you quit NOW and see how you do -- again, just for five minutes when you want to smoke.

The easiest smokes to eliminate for me during the time I was still smoking on Chantix were the "boredom" smokes. Almost without fail, every time I'd give myself five minutes before lighting up a boredom smoke, I'd find that I'd forgotten about it after five minutes. I'd go and brush my teeth -- who wants to smoke with a freshly-cleaned mouth? I'd change rooms, do something on the computer, call a friend, chew some gum.

Like you, I kept waiting for Chantix to make me not want to smoke. It never happened for me, and I really don't think it's intended to do that. What I find it does do is it makes you feel OK and it's not the end of the world if you don't have a smoke. But you do need to "help" the Chantix, too. It can only do so much. Like I mentioned on another post, it's like rowing a boat. Chantix grabs ahold of one oar; you need to grab the other one to get the boat where you want. Chantix makes it so you're not getting happy from smoking and you won't want to kill someone for a cig once you quit, but YOU need to work on the physical habit. Start implementing a few things now. I think you'll be surprised.

FWIW, the worst time in this whole journey for me has been smoking while on the med. It really gets much better once you put the smokes down and let the med do its job. Had I known this, I wouldn't have smoked for as long as I did while on it. I just kept thinking it wasn't really kicking in because I kept wanting to smoke. Hell yeah I wanted to smoke -- and at times, still do! But a funnel cake would be good right about now, too, but it ain't the end of the world if I don't get one, you know? That's the effect Chantix has had on me once I put the smokes down.

Please check in and let us know how you're doing!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:38 PM   #25
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Hi everyone! I have been quit for 16 weeks, 3 days, 8 hours, 33 minutes, 56 seconds! A bunch of us quit at the same time - and we are all still smoke-free. I only took the Chantix for a couple of weeks - the cravings were there, but the lack of sleep and constipation were too much for me to deal with, so we just quit taking it and have manage to stay quit since February 23rd!! I never thought it would be that easy. I can be around smokers and it's not a problem. I actually feel sorry for them - because I know when I smoked, I so wanted to be a non-smoker, and wished I could've given anything in the world to quit. Chantix made it easy. You have to want to quit badly enough and make up your mind that you are going to do it. Change up your routines, clean out the house, don't hang around people that smoke if you can't deal with it. Go into hibernationn if you must - whatever it takes. Just do it!!

Good luck to all you quitters out there......it's the best thing you can do for yourself. I feel great and regret that I didn't quit sooner.

Skimmer......

Old 06-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #26
(male)

daddymatt HB User

Thanks, StenoLady! Some very good advice is to be found from you and others. I did "practice" on my way home from my research job today...it is about a 45 mile trip one way. I usually smoke at least 2 cigarettes along the way. Well, on the way back, I smoked none. I thought about other things, licked my lips, and realized that what I might really have wanted was some water or a bit of food (I was starving). It worked. I found that my mind was easily distracted, much more so than previous cold turkey attempts. This morning, I went to light up, but the smell of the ashtray made me a bit nauseous. Not a bad thing. So I am trying. ONE DAY TO A SMOKE FREE LIFE. I am actually a bit excited about all this.
Thanks again for listening.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:38 AM   #27
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good for you, Daddymatt!

And quitting is something to be excited about, especially once you realize it isn't so bad -- at least compared with previous attempts for me, anyway. Sounds like it's going to be a bit better for you, too.

I was dreading and quite nervous about my quit date. Like Skimmer said, it's not bad at all. And don't be surprised if you start seeing positive effects from not smoking quickly. Within a week of quitting, my smoker's cough was gone ... gone! 20 years worth of gunk and coughing cleared up in a week.

The first two weeks that I smoked on Chantix, I was awakened at night very easily -- still am a little bit, actually. My smoker's cough is usually what woke me up. The second night into my quit, I was awakened in the night, too, but not by my cough. It was air getting to parts of my lungs that obviously air hadn't been to in a while. Talk about surreal!

At about the five-day-quit point, taste and smells kicked in. I couldn't believe how much smoking masked taste and smell. Things like rain, a freshly-mowed lawn, a candle -- even soap in the shower smelled incredible! On the down side, I also realized my dogs stink, lol. Smoking masks the icky things, too. And taste, holy cow. Everything tastes exquisite. I was a bit nervous about weight gain with quitting in the beginning; had heard and read about metabolism and smoking, increased appetite, hand to mouth fixation, etc. Hogwash! People gain weight when they quit because food tastes so friggin' good!!! It's like eating for the first time.

Just a few things to look forward to within days of putting the smokes down. Hope you're doing okay today. The first 72 hours are the roughest. You can do it!!!

Old 06-20-2007, 06:49 AM   #28
(male)

daddymatt HB User

Ok, today is day I of a smoke free life.
I smoked my last cigarette last night at 10 pm, and tossed out the ashtray and lighters.
I was sort of nervous about getting up this morning...but I even had a cup of coffee and the cigarette cravings were moderate (I am thinking about using the old 1-10 scale, with 1 being next to none, and 10 being climbing the walls.) I would estimate that my cravings so far are at about a 3-4. I am just stunned.In the past, by now I would have been pacing, digging butts out of the ashtray for a fix (how gross is that?), and probably on my way to the store for a fresh pack.
Thanks Stenolady, for the things to look forward to. Oddly enough, I have never had the dreaded smoker's cough, but realized last night that since I was slowing down in smoking, I was now coughing! I suspect it was the cillia in my lungs responding to not being "assaulted" as much by smoke.
I have already made some dietary changes (unrelated to smoking) which began about 2 weeks ago, so I am now in the more of a habit of eating better. For me, the trick is to remember that food does not have to substitute for smokes. I got a bit angry at my doctor, who tacitly said that of the two evils, I should not worry too much about my weight, but focus on the smoking, and expect to gain weight. I disagree. My way around this will be exercise...if able, every time I want to light up, I will get up, walk about for a bit, and see if that helps.
I will keep all of you posted as to my progress. Thanks for the support...I will need it in the next few weeks.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:20 AM   #29
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddymatt View Post
Ok, today is day I of a smoke free life.
I smoked my last cigarette last night at 10 pm, and tossed out the ashtray and lighters.
I was sort of nervous about getting up this morning...but I even had a cup of coffee and the cigarette cravings were moderate (I am thinking about using the old 1-10 scale, with 1 being next to none, and 10 being climbing the walls.) I would estimate that my cravings so far are at about a 3-4. I am just stunned.In the past, by now I would have been pacing, digging butts out of the ashtray for a fix (how gross is that?), and probably on my way to the store for a fresh pack.
Bravo! On a 1 - 10 scale, I have yet to have a 10, which is also a first for me. On previous quits, every day without smoking seemed like a 10. Most of my cravings have been a 2-5. Amazing.

Keep us posted on your progress

Old 06-20-2007, 01:06 PM   #30
(male)

daddymatt HB User

2 PM CST, and still no off the wall cravings.
I did have a bit of a shock when I stood up to go outside (I am up here at the university in the Library), and realized I had no reason to. For a split second I was totally ****** off...and wanted a cigarette. then it just "went away" and I went back to work.
I am finding that I mostly feel very calm...almost like a bit sedated, but not overly so.
This is the longest I have been without a cigarette in years, and am still feeling in control and pretty good, compared to the other times I have attempted to quit.
Thanks for listening...

Closed Thread