It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
(female)

sarmee HB User
chantix

I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little about this pill Chantix. I went to the doctor and he prescribed it for me to stop smoking. I havent started taking it yet because I need to set a stop date first and I am going to wait til after my wedding in one week. I also wanted to find out more about it though. My doc says it works miracles. I tried to quit smoking about 3 months ago and I stopped for one month cold turkey. I hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
(female)

country_fan HB User
Re: chantix

Hi there Sarmee,
Congratz on decideing to quit!

I'm no expert, but I will tell you about my short experience, thus far, with Chantix. I am on day 5 of the prescription & I really think this is a miracle drug. I've been smoking for about 9 years now, anywhere from 1 pack up to 2 packs a day. In the past I had quit coold turkey & that had lasted for about 3 months.

When I quit the cold turkey way, I was very very moody, on edge, and need I say a tad b*tchy for at least 2 weeks. Non-stop dreams about smoking, constant cravings. I hated driving places because thats when I smoke the most. I felt like I was always (as they say) "feening" for a cig.

You say your wedding is 1 week away & that is when you want to quit? I say go get the prescription now - they actually advise you start the program 1 week prior to your quit date. Reason being, you want to slowly introduce the drug into your system, which will reduce possible side effects. It's perfectly fine to continue smoking your first week on the drug (the starter pack).

From my understanding, the drug works by blocking nicotine receptors in the brain. It releases dompamine the "feel good" chemical in the brain. That "relaxed" sense u would get from a cigg.

Beleive it or not, on day "1" of the starter pack, I noticed a difference within 4 hrs of taking the first pill (I didnt wait the full week to quit because I already had a date picked). The best way to describe the feeling of smoking after on the drug is "no satisfaction". Sure, you have your cigg, but it's as if u got nothing out of it...it almost feels like you have already had a cigg. Hope that makes sense, thats just how I felt.

I'm smoke free now & not even finished with the 1 week starter kit. I'm not moody, not on edge...I "almost" feel like I never picked up smoking. Don't get me wrong, you will get some cravings...but most are physical or just out of habit, and they pass quickly. So far, I havent been "feening" at all. I haven't felt like "I HAVE to have a cigg now!". I might kind of want one, but the "NEED" is gone.

For me at least, this has been a cake-walk compared to cold turkey. Hope this info helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2007, 06:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

DH, my mother and I are all on it. We started the starter pack on 5/7. My mother is a 40-year smoker, 3 packs a day; I'm a 21-year smoker, 2 1/2 packs a day; DH is a 10-year smoker, 1/2 pack a day. DH was able to quit smoking the closest to his quit date (one week after starting the med). My actual quit date ended up being 15 days after I started the med. My mom is hoping that this Monday will be her quit date, three weeks after she began the program.

I think this is different for everyone?

Either way, you definitely KNOW when you're done. Cigarettes begin to taste horrible on the med. They burn, too, burn your throat and mouth. If you enjoy smoking, this is a wonderful medication, because you suddenly don't enjoy them at all anymore.

It doesn't make quitting a piece of cake -- at least for DH & I, anyway. It's still REALLY hard! We're emotional, irritable ... I mean, it's taken the "edge" off, I suppose. But even last night, in our fog/zone of our initial days without cigs, we both said to each other that we didn't believe a cigarette would make us feel better. Honestly. Now, in all the times we've tried to quit before, we've never said that!

There are some side effects that some suffer from that you should read about, be aware of and have a plan of action to address if they're moderate. Vivd dreams and nausea are affecting me the most. I'm having to split my pills in half and take them four times a day instead of one pill twice a day. I did not have this problem the first week, only when I went up to the full dose.

You can do it!

Old 05-25-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
(female)

anewme HB User

I am on chantix and have been smoke free for 9 days. I think it is a great way to quit smoking. Only felt sick to my stomach the first day, after that I always take it with food...no more problems. I do have vivid dreams thats a plus! Get started you only have the cigs to lose....GOOD LUCK!

Old 05-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
(female)

country_fan HB User

Yeah, I really haven't had many side effects...I only felt naucious once, and that passed within 20 minutes. But so far, I have had the most awesome dreams while on the drug, and I think I sleep better too.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
(female)

nyhardhat HB User
Exclamation Re: chantix

Hi everyone,

My name is Cindy and today is my first post here. I too was on chantix. Please be careful and let ur doctor know of any other meds u are on as we thought I had a heart attack and had to have an ekg and stress test to rule things out. Not a good experience! Scared the **** out of me. So....I have been 100% drug free since this past monday. No smoking and haven't had any cravings either. Smoke smell stinks severly and makes my stomach roll. HopefullY I am around the bend and won't smoke ever again.

Cindy

The following user gives a hug of support to nyhardhat:
gjaxzon (11-04-2010)
Old 05-25-2007, 06:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yikes! How scary that must have been! Thanks for letting us know your experience and things to be aware of.

Great to hear that after stopping the medicine, you've been successful with staying quit.

Welcome

Old 05-30-2007, 09:57 AM   #8
(female)

sarmee HB User

Thanks for all your tips..I am on different meds right now for back pain so
I think I will wait til my back heals to start the chantix.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:50 PM   #9
(female)

MA2AZ HB User

I am so glad someone else has said how chantix can make you ill. I too had all the signs of a heart attack, Wow, it was the worst health experience I have ever had. I just want to ask everyone to please think about it and talk to your dr about all your meds and even thoes you stopped taking a few weeks ago, you must to be totally honest PLEASE. I am very happy for all of you that have quit because of chantix and are feeling good. I took it for only 10 days and after "that experience" I quit that night and have been 2 weeks free without taking anything. Fear can sure put a new light on things. Thanks for listening, I care about all of you and your desire to quit.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:57 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

MA2AZ, thanks so much for sharing your experience. While I'm thrilled to have found something that really seems to be helping in my quit, I'm also nervous about how new the pill is, how every time I turn on the news, some drug company is facing countless lawsuits because a new drug was released either too early or just shouldn't have been at all.

Your experience, as well as Cindy's, is so helpful to me. I'd hate to suffer from some sort of placebo effect, but I'm really keeping a very watchful eye on side effects. I already know I don't want to be on this for three months. I'll give six weeks a shot, maybe eight. Frankly, I don't think my knee can handle three months of it. I'm *thinking* the three to six months the maker of the drug recommends is self-serving. The drug helps with initial cravings for nicotine, withdrawals, with cigarettes being unsatisfying. It doesn't do anything for habit. I figure after being quit for a month or so, the rest is really up to me and no drug can really help me there.

Every quit website I've been to is either extremely pro a certain aid (or just cold turkey; that those who use any aids at all will ultimately fail) or crazy pro Chantix. This is really the only one where you can share all kinds of experiences, pills, NRT, CT, weaning, good and bad.

Have you been smoke free since you stopped the Chantix? Did you have to use another aid?

Old 05-31-2007, 11:09 AM   #11
(female)

anewme HB User

Hi, I was reading your post about how long to take chantix, A couple of my friends quit smoking with chantix and only took it for 2 weeks!! Both have been quit for 9 months now. I am on my 4th week of chantix. this will be my last week. Hope all goes well!!! anewme

Old 05-31-2007, 06:09 PM   #12
(female)

MommaBryant HB User

Hello, everyone, what a great message board this is. I've been on Chantix for 22 days now, smoke free for 3 days. No real side effects from Chantix. I had so hoped that it would make smoking taste bad or something like I'd heard it did for others, but it didn't. And what a rough 3 days, seems I can't stop thinking about wanting a cig, it's a constant battle with myself to not have one. I do have to admit that when I did smoke my last few cigs they really didn't do much for me. But I can't stop thinking I want one. I do feel like I've lost my best friend tho. I enjoyed the cigs, with coffee, in the evenings relaxing on the deck, taking a break at work (that's seems to be the worst times). Now looking for something that will fulfill that void. I've got to find it cause I really don't want to smoke anymore. Congrats to all that have beat this habit. And thanks for all the encouragement you have given each other.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:45 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Noni33 HB User

Hang in there, The things that have made it easier for me was to mix up my routine, I had to have my first cup of coffee at work,instead of going right home after work went to the gym (extremely helpful) and try to avoid sitting in the same place where you previously always smoked. You will have days that will amaze you and the best advise I got was to try thinking like a non smoker sounds silly but works. Good luck to you and don't cave

Old 06-01-2007, 03:15 PM   #14
(female)

angelawin HB User

I just started my Chantix starter pack today and have picked a quit date 5 days from today. I smoked for 10years, quit for 20 and like an idiot picked up after a stressful event and have been unable to quit for the last 5 years. My father died of lung cancer, my mother too and my 47 year old sister was just diagnosed and had surgery last month to remove a lobe of her lung! It's obvious my genetics are not good when it comes to tolerate smoking!

I felt a tad nauseus for about 1.2 hour after I took the dose...I'm hoping I don't have sleep problems like others do. I will be checking in here to read posts about other's experiences so thanks in advance for sharing and keep up the quit if you've started already!!

Old 06-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #15
(female)

MommaBryant HB User

Be sure to take it after you've had something to eat and drink a glass of water with it. I've been on it for 3 weeks and have not been sick from it.
I must say, quitting is so difficult and even with the Chantix it's a mind game. I've been fighting with myself all day. I don't need a cig, I just really really want one. This is day 4 and it's worse than day 3, I'm praying day 5 will be better.

Closed Thread