It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

CGA81 HB User
obsessed with smoking

I am suffering from an anxiety disorder during the day.I am currently taking nerve medication for this at night time.The anxiety is due to ongoing mental health problems.My nerves become tense and I can't calm down.In order to calm down I took to smoking.At first I thought just a few cigars would calm me down,but then I started buying box after box of cigars.Smoking about 5 cigars a day.I am under my parents care,but they have not once demanded that I stop smoking.They instead only encourage me to smoke because they know that it calms me down.If they would have put their foot down on it I would have obeyed,but the problem was I would take to consuming alcohol by the bottle each day.I mean heavy alcohol such as whisky,scotch,vodka.I thought that by drinking I would get over my depression caused by immense trauma.My father though did put his foot down.He was against my drinking.You have to understand I got that habbit from my grandfather who is an alcoholic.I was going out of my mind with drinking.Acting foolish,saying things I didn't want to say.I stopped for to reasons:I knew that I was and still be put in the mental hospital for my drinking:and that I knew the drinking was interfering with the medication I took.I continued and still am smoking cigars though because I need some coping mechanism.But,with increasing anxiety the more I smoke cigars.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
Re: obsessed with smoking

I am a smoker and have come to the conclusion that I smoke more now to releive the symptoms of MS.
In all honesty its not releiving any of my symptoms,just adding to them.Come Monday I'm gonna do my darnness to quit.
I've used smoking as a crutch to long.There's many stress releivers out there,cross word puzzles,light exercises,chewing gum,just eating.
Half the battle is admitting the obsession and why you do it.Now the other half is quitting.
But ultimatly its a mind set,if your mind is set on not smoking,then ya can quit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

CGA81 HB User

Nicotine from cigars verses chemical additives in Cigarettes.What is the danger in smoking cigars when the cigars are made of pure tobacco.But,even greater health threats are posed by cigarettes because of the chemical additives in the cigarettes.The effects the chemical additives in the cigarettes have on the body I believe is much worst than the pure tobacco in cigars.I have most recently heard of a brand of cigarettes called American Spirit.These cigarettes are made with pure tobacco not having these chemical additives in the cigarette.If you are still smoking and can't quit try considering this brand as an alternative to the other cigarette brands that contain these harmful chemical additives.I know about the nicotine patches and the nicotine chewing gum and losengers,but I'm afraid to try these methods because of the possibility of nicotine poisoning.My doctor has most recently informed me that there is a nicotine based pill that is currently in the experimental stages and won't be released on the market until a few years from now.This leaves me little hope for quitting but I'm looking forward to that day.What helps me the most not to smoke is to be preoccupied with something to do.What I do to preoccupy myself is to do gardening work.When my mind is on the gardening work I am not even thinking about smoking.At one time I took up baking bread and did so day after day for about a full year.It took my mind greatly off my troubles.But, when I'm not preoccupied it has become almost second nature to me like a hobby to smoke.When I smoke it gives me some quiet time to myself to reflect and think about things.

Last edited by CGA81; 05-27-2007 at 06:59 PM.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:26 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

CGA81 HB User

Even in cigar smoking I have to watch though.What I had failed to mention is that maching rolled cigars largely based in Tampa also have chemical additives in them.In experience with smoking these type of cigars I found that the additives would cause negative reactions instead of being at ease I would become more frustrated and anxious as I smoked them.The cigars I now smoke are hand-rolled and pure tobacco.Although it drives up the cost tremendously it's still better than paying cheap for cigars that have the chemical additives in them.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

I also have an anxiety order and have stopped smoking. I take buspar for anxiety and used the patch for the not smoking. If you use the patch correctly you will not get nicotine poisioning. I have even smoked while using the patch. Not something I recommend. I was off the patch for 4 months but got cravings really bad. So back on the patch I went. Will go off in a few weeks. If you really want to stop I hope you will. God bless

Old 06-05-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
(female)

wilmaflintstone HB User

Have you heard of Chantix? Fifteen days without a cigarette and no monkey on my back.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
(female)

MommaBryant HB User

Wilma, it seems to have worked so well for you. Why am I struggling so? I've been on Chantix for 1 month, off cigs for 8 days, but really struggling.

Closed Thread