It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
(female)

JustMeInID HB User
Question Chantix = Cigarette Amnesia?

I took Chantix for a month before I actually quit smoking. I finally just didn't light up -- and it was okay. No withdrawal. No moodiness. No nothing. It was different getting into my car, because I'd always lit up at that moment. All the times I would have smoked were strange at first, but not even a big deal. Once or twice was all it took to not even think about it anymore.

It's almost like I have cigarette amnesia. Like I've never even smoked. After smoking for 24 years, I just quit 16 days ago, but I don't miss it at all. I don't get it. I'm almost worried about when I'm finished with the Chantix. I know there won't be withdrawals then, because I'm way over the nicotine addiction part, but when this alleged Chantix-caused "amnesia" goes away, will I go back to thinking about smoking? Will I be over it because I've changed my habits? What do I have to look forward to? Anybody know? Has anyone even experienced it this way?

Old 05-28-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Noni33 HB User
Re: Chantix = Cigarette Amnesia?

This is my fifth week on Chantix, I actually stop smoking my first week, I only had two that week. Last Friday I was thinking about cutting it in half this week but I have to say today was the worst day I have had this whole past month. I can't really figure it out other that I was bored this am. I think it is going to take longer than I had hoped. Starting tomorrow I am going to start thinking as a non smoker and not counting every minute that I haven't had one. I hope I can get back to where I was. Don't mean to sound so down but today was hard. Hope you keep the feelings you are having.

Good Luck

Noni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
(female)

pg5teacher HB User
Thumbs up Re: Chantix = Cigarette Amnesia?

I quit the same way on Chantix. It has now been almost 5 months and I haven't gone back to smoking. Every so often I'll want a cig, but nothing overwhelming. And i smoked for 34 years! It's like a miracle! I have put pon 15 pounds, but have had some seious sress in my life recently and never seriously considered smoking again. Hang in there.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
(female)

JustMeInID HB User

Noni,

I think boredom has a lot to do with it. The first two or three days of not smoking, I noticed that if I wasn't doing something, I thought about smoking. But the odd thing is that it didn't take anything at all to distract me and stop me from thinking about it. So surf the web. Clean a toilet. Eat a salad.

Hope tomorrow is better for you.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
(female)

JustMeInID HB User

pg5,

How long did you take Chantix? Knowing that I only have 2-1/2 weeks left of my prescription is making me a little apprehensive. From what I've read, Chantix works on the part of the brain that makes us think that nicotine is a good, pleasurable thing, but for me, it works differently than that. When I started the Chantix and I was still smoking, I enjoyed smoking as much as ever. Once I put the cigarettes down, though, the thought of smoking pretty much disappeared. It's unexplainable, except that I have to agree with you, it's been like a miracle for me, too. I'm anxious to see what the FDA says about Chantix in a couple of years.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
(male)

msgbob46 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeInID View Post
pg5,

How long did you take Chantix? Knowing that I only have 2-1/2 weeks left of my prescription is making me a little apprehensive. From what I've read, Chantix works on the part of the brain that makes us think that nicotine is a good, pleasurable thing, but for me, it works differently than that. When I started the Chantix and I was still smoking, I enjoyed smoking as much as ever. Once I put the cigarettes down, though, the thought of smoking pretty much disappeared. It's unexplainable, except that I have to agree with you, it's been like a miracle for me, too. I'm anxious to see what the FDA says about Chantix in a couple of years.
I am on my last day of my starter pack and I haven't felt any different. I am still smoking although I have cut down some. I was wondering when I start the second step will I not want to smoke or will I still want to?

Old 06-02-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
(female)

carylene HB User

msgbob46 - I was the same way as the post you are quoting. I had not felt much difference on the chantix, and I just thought what a waste of money, but the day I said OK, that's it, I didn't have any trouble at all. Hard to explain, but just pick a day, and say that's it, that's my day and don't wait until you forget smoking altogether. I'll bet you won't have any trouble either. I thought about it, but it wasn't like a thought that stayed with me and wouldn't let go.

Good luck to you!

I am on my second month, and I started to forget the evening dose so I only take it in the mornings. I quit on apr 22 so it is 41 days for me.

Melissa

Edited to add: Do you mean the first week you are on the last day, or the first month?

Last edited by carylene; 06-02-2007 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Clarification

Closed Thread