It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
(female)

anewme HB User
Question Quit for 2 weeks, But still coughing is this normal?

I have been quit smoking for 2 weeks now, But I am coughing more than I ever did while smoking! Is this normal and if so, How long does it last? not sure what to think. Any comments would be helpful I'm sure. Thanks, anewme

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: Quit for 2 weeks, But still coughing is this normal?

I've *read* that it's very normal. I'm only on day nine here and coughing a lot, too. Not like my usual smoker's cough, either. That appears to be just about gone already. My cough now seems more like a cough you might have after a cold where you're coughing up junk.

But I've read on several other quit support sites that it's normal to cough a lot after you quit. I guess the length of it depends on how quickly you're able to get all the brown tarry gunk out of your lungs?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
(female)

anewme HB User

Thanks for the input, That makes me feel better. maybe a better day will come!!

Old 06-05-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
(female)

wilmaflintstone HB User

Yes, my sister in law told me it happened to her when she quit. It is your lungs way of clearing out some of the trash smoking put in there.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
(female)

marlamoe HB User

I just saw my doctor to get a prescription of Chantix a couple of days ago and one thing she told me was to expect coughing from days to weeks once the smoking stopped. I quit once before for about 6 months and the first few weeks I had a phlemy cough.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

I smoke for 34 years and have not smoked since Jan 2006 (except for a 2 month relapse last june and july). I have never had the cough after quitting. I hope that junk still isn't in my lungs. Godbless

Old 06-15-2007, 12:30 PM   #7
(female)

marlamoe HB User

I am sure everyones body reacts differently to quitting. I wouldn't worry about not coughing. I would count myself lucky. Good job on quitting.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

The first time I quit I coughed up brown crap for a few weeks this time nothing. However this time I went down from Marlboro reds to the ultra lights before quitting I dunno if that made a difference or not.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:33 AM   #9
(female)

anewme HB User

Hey, Me again..Well I finally stopped coughing. it got pretty bad at night for a couple of nights. Not coughing at all anymore. woohooo Thank God thats over. I don't think I would ever smoke again just because I never want to go thru that again. Good luck everybody, and if this is something you are going thru then don't worry it goes away

Closed Thread