It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
Anybody take over a year to get over the craving and crummy feeling?

Hi all! It's been 35 days today and my mind takes me back to a dentist I went to a few years ago who said it took over a year to get over the craving and general crummy feeling for him when he quit smoking. Has this happened to anyone else? I know it's only been 35 days for me and I am still having issues. I figure it's because I smoked for 31 years so my body is really hurting right now. Drop a line and let us know if anyone has had a similar experience. Take care--Hopeto

Old 05-31-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
(female)

tigerlilyx61 HB User
Re: Anybody take over a year to get over the craving and crummy feeling?

I felt really "crummy" for probably 2 weeks but did have strong cravings up to 7 months out. I still get an occasional craving and it's been 17 years

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

I'll be a year in a few weeks I 'd say I felt ok by 3 months I still had cravings I think I always will especially during really stressful situations but I just remind myself how much the withdrawals completely sucked (I did Cold Turkey) and that's enough to keep me off the cigs. For the most part don't really miss them any more I've even managed to go out have a few drinks with friends and be okay afterwards even when she lit up. You'll get there you just have to hang on.

Good luck and keep up the great work it's worth it.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

Was on the patch for 4 months and then off for 4 months. Was having really bad anxiety and cravings. Like I had just stopped smoking. So I went back on lowest patch. Been on for about 3 weeks. Going to stay on another month or so and then go off again. This happened last year and I started smoking again. Smoked for 2 months. Since Jan 06 I have only smoked 2 months. But only been nicotine free for 4 months. Looking to the day when I am totally free. God bless:

Old 06-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

I think all of you guys are fortunate that you can at least have a cup of coffee or a drink with your friends from time to time. Those of us in recovery from most addictive chemicals plus dealing with other health issues can't or at least don't dare touch the addictive stuff again because you're back to square one. But as they say in recovery, "Progress-not perfection!" Take care--Hopeto--

Old 07-04-2007, 07:31 AM   #6
(female)

gladys1123 HB User

girl I know the feeling i have not smoke for about 1 month and 2 days oh gosh i must say the first 27 days were ok now i am staring to feel sick and like i cant breathe yet my lungs are clear and alot of anxiety especially at night i wonder if this gets easier?

Old 07-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Hope to .. the cigs are like any other drug. Some people can use every now and again some people (Myself included) all it takes is just one and it's like I never quit. This time I made sure not to get cocky around the one year anniversary which in the past was always my down fall I think it helped that my mother was having a part of her lung removed eventhough she smoked some 40 yrs ago. Thankfully not lung cancer knock on wood. But truly I don't even think about them more than a fleeting moment and I am happy to say this is one of my proudest achievements it so worth going through all the ick it shows you what you're made of. You'll get there I promise just think of all the positives instead of the negatives.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:03 AM   #8
(female)

velveeta HB User

Issues with being quit...I think I will always have issues with being quit and wanting a cigarette. It is like any other addiction and as long as I take it hour by hour and day by day I should do fine. I refuse to be weak and give in to something so bad for me. Soon it will be 4 months for me and I will not take that for granted. I am the one in power now and it feels good. Stay strong people!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 10:12 AM   #9
(female)

Karen1711 HB User

I still have cravings especially since I've had really stressful situations lately...brother sick, mother in a bad car accident. I quit 5 months ago on Chantix and sometimes I feel so bad and incredibly exhausted even when I've had plenty of sleep. I wonder if it's from the Chantix or gaining 15 pounds?

Old 07-17-2007, 04:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

It'd the 15 pounds take it from much more weight gain and loss thin is easier on the feet, knees, heart everything. That's my new goal losing the weight AGAIN.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:00 PM   #11
(female)

Karen1711 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamsmom View Post
It'd the 15 pounds take it from much more weight gain and loss thin is easier on the feet, knees, heart everything. That's my new goal losing the weight AGAIN.

Yeah, probably would feel better if we lost the extra weight....it's sure not easy to lose. When I first quit smoking I ate whatever I wanted thinking it was better than giving in and smoking a cigarette. Guess fruit would've been better than chocolate ice cream? Tonight at work a coworker I hadn't seen in a while commented, "You have really gained weight." That kind of hurt my feelings...I haven't gained that much! I told her it hurt my feelings and she apologized. Said in her country it's a compliment to tell someone they are fat.

Anyway, I do seem to have this puzzling deep depression that I didn't have before quitting. I've never taken any antidepressants except for the time I tried Wellbutrin to quit smoking...that didn't work out at all.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:58 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Hi Hope, I quit over a year ago and still get the odd craving or two. I figured since I smoked 2 packs a day for 25+ years I would not get over the cravings in a few weeks. But the cravings are managable. I just keep thinking that anything bad (or good) I am going through at the moment will not be changed or enhanced by smoking a cigarette. You can do it!

Closed Thread