It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Making It!

I can't believe I've made it to day 10!!! Sure, there were some, ahem, rough moments in there, but absolutely bearable.

The "newness" of being a nonsmoker is beginning to wear off. DH & I really didn't know what to do with ourselves last week. I mean, what do nonsmokers do with their time? We do they do after a meal, after a drink? Where do they go for happy hour? Heck, I was even a bit hesitant to have sex with DH because I thought I'd go out of my mind without that post-sex smoke

It's beginning to feel normal now. We're looking forward to going out tonight with friends who are a few weeks ahead in their quit than we are. Guess what nonsmokers do and REALLY enjoy it? Go to the movies!!! Ugh, I hated the movies as a smoker, lol.

We took a 40-minute walk last night, and we were able to talk through the whole thing. We got home and we weren't even out of breath. I was a very heavy smoker, 2 1/2 packs a day. It's amazing how the body begins to heal itself so quickly.

For everyone reading this who's struggling, debating on whether they're "ready," wondering when it's going to get a little better in their quit, IT DOES GET BETTER!!! Just hang on, think often about your reasons for wanting to quit, breathe, eat, drink water, chew gum, whatever it takes. Look through old posts on these boards. You can see what the same person is going through on day 1, day 5, day 14, a month quit, six months quit. It's soooo helpful.

Good luck to everyone

P.S. Oh -- the money we've saved ... $110 in 10 days!!!

Last edited by StenoLady1; 06-01-2007 at 08:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User
Re: Making It!

Have you tried knitting or some other needlework? That is what I did the one of the times I stopped. I like to keep my hands busy. Word puzzles, soduko, a new hobby. I had cut down before stopping totally. I love the freedom of not having to smoke. I can go anywhere and not have a nicotine fit. I am 10 months cigarette free. I had to go on the patch after four months of being off because of anxiety and severe cravings. I will go off in another month or so and see how it goes. Last year I went back to smoking for 2 months for the same reason. this year I was smarter. Keep up the good work.God bless

Old 06-01-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Noni33 HB User

Good Job, 10 days is an accomplishment.. It does get better I am on day 33 and pretty soon I hope I not counting anymore. Congrats to you both.

Noni

Old 06-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

Your right noni. I hardly ever think of a cigarette. I also used hypnosis and I think that really helped in the beginning. We'll all make it. God bless

Old 06-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
(male)

sobah HB User

Sunday night ( 6/3 ) will be my last butt !!! God willing !!!

Old 06-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noni33 View Post
Good Job, 10 days is an accomplishment.. It does get better I am on day 33 and pretty soon I hope I not counting anymore. Congrats to you both. Noni
Thank you, Noni! Wow...33 days That's fantastic! Congrats to you, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian100 View Post
Have you tried knitting or some other needlework? That is what I did the one of the times I stopped. I like to keep my hands busy. Word puzzles, soduko, a new hobby. I had cut down before stopping totally. I love the freedom of not having to smoke. I can go anywhere and not have a nicotine fit. I am 10 months cigarette free. I had to go on the patch after four months of being off because of anxiety and severe cravings. I will go off in another month or so and see how it goes. Last year I went back to smoking for 2 months for the same reason. this year I was smarter. Keep up the good work.God bless
Oooh, yes! I love to cross stitch, even as a smoker. I need a bit of a push, tho. I'd started a beautiful cross stitch a year or so ago of eggplant on vines with a black and white checkerboard edge. Well, we remodeled our kitchen beginning in January (full gut & remodel) -- guess what colors? Lavender and sage with a black and white checkerboard floor. I thought, man, I need to get back to work on that cross stitch, as it would match in there perfectly. The cross stitched checkerboard is driving me absolutely bonkers. It's all I have left on the dang thing. It's sooooo boring, and I'll work hours on it, and I just see no progress. I love to sew because of the almost instant gratification of seeing something come together. Not so with a checkerboard edge <sigh>.

But, yes, I need to get it done! The computer is helpful, too. Coming here is good.

Good job on being 10 months smoke free! Geez, severe cravings after four months, that's a real bummer. That's really good you spotted it this time and went back to the patch. It sounds like you're really determined, and that's so important.

Have a lovely weekend!

Old 06-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobah View Post
Sunday night ( 6/3 ) will be my last butt !!! God willing !!!
Sobah, I don't know how to quote three people in one post. I did respond to your thread, tho

You can do it! Let us know how you're making out.

Closed Thread