It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
(male)

sobah HB User

New here, just wanted to say hey !! Quit date is this freakin Sunday !! Panickin !! Just gotta get through the first day.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Noni33 HB User
Re: Newbie

Sobah, Will you be using anything to help you? I wish you the best, go for lots of little walks very helpful. It is so hard to think about starting, but try to let that go. Keep yourself busy, and you will surprise yourself. I always say that one of the reasons I could never go back is because I do not want to repeat the first couple of day, I was such a clock watcher. I really believe anyone that wants to quit ( and want is the word) will be able. When you find it hard just come to the board and write. It is very helpful. Best of luck to you and let us know how you are fairing.

Noni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Hey

I'm sure you're dreading Sunday. I know I dreaded my quit date, so much so that I couldn't stick to it. I kept "rescheduling" it. After three weeks, I finally just changed my tune a bit and said, "Okay. This is my last pack. Whenever I'm done with it will be my quit date." Turned out to be a Tuesday, mid-morning. Whatever works, right?

Are you using any aids to help you quit? I'd attempted a few different things in the past (patch, gum, Wellbutrin, cold turkey, hypnosis and a behavior modification program), but I'm giving Chantix a try this time.

Keep strong and keep us posted on your progress. Like Noni said above me, the first few days are the worst, but then it's substantially easier.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:33 PM   #4
(male)

sobah HB User

Started taking Chantix this past Monday. I gotta do this !!! I'm in AA , I've been sober for 5 1/2 years, I know its one day at a time , I'm just gettin alittle freaked out about starting this . I accidently found this site. Or......maybe it wasn't an accident !!!!!

Old 06-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Noni33 HB User

It was no accident, I think if you stick with it you will see that it is a blessing and very helpful.

Noni

Old 06-01-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Aww, don't freak out. You'll do fine. You know and understand the one day at a time.

The days immediately preceding my quit day were the worst, IMO, since I started the whole plan/pill/regiment. I was okay in the very beginning, okay once I quit, but I'd say about the three days before and after my quit day, I was a wreck.

Just keep thinking of all the reasons why you want to quit. You will notice improvements very quickly. Remember all those dollars you're saving, and treat yourself to something nice -- often

Plus, it's just so hard to be a smoker anymore, you know? You really can't smoke in too many places nowadays. And even if you do, I'm sure you get the same looks of disgust and coughs from passersby as I did. It's just too darn hard to smoke anymore!

I hope the Chantix works as well for you as it seems to be doing for me. This is the first quit in my life where, ten days into being smoke free, I really feel confident I can do this. All of my other attempts, geez, if I even got to a day ten, I was so depressed and just out of control. Keep an eye out for side effects. It did not agree at all with my hubby.

You can do it!

Old 06-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
(female)

MommaBryant HB User

Don't panic. With Chantix you will know when it's time to cut back, then stop. You'll smoke 1/2 a cig and realize that it really isn't doing anything for you. Then you can cut back until you're ready to say no, I'm not going to smoke. It still won't be easy but you won't be craving the nicotine, you'll be craving the habit. It will be a mental thing. I'm still searching for something to fill that void. I can honestly say when the mental thing I call the devil starts working on my I go to this health board. Reading it has really helped me. Thanks to everyone.

Closed Thread