It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
(female)

sf1127 HB User
I smoked today after 12 days, upset with myself

Hi
This is my first time posting. I am a little upset with myself because I smoked about 4 cigs today. This would have been my 12th day of no smoking. I had my tonsils removed 12 days ago, and I knew that I couldn't smoke for at least a week, so I plan on just quitting because I'll have a head start. While I was recovering from my surgery, Smoking didn't bother me at all because my throat was so soar, but now my throat is feeling better, and I have been back to work for 3 days, and have been getting cravings for 2 days now. Finally today I gave in, and smoked about 4. I am so upset, and it kind of discourages me a little that I smoked today. I haven't smoked a cig in a couple hours, and its not even really bothering me right now, its at work where it really bothers me because everyone else there smokes, and I can take a smoke break when ever I want. Does any one have any suggestions to get through those cravings at work? Also I heard from many different people who have quit for years say that the urge for smoking NEVER goes away. This scares me! Does any one know if this is true? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
(female)

MommaBryant HB User
Re: I smoked today after 12 days, upset with myself

SF, consider tomorrow another day and tell yourself you are not going to smoke. I can't help too much, today is only my 4th day without smoking and it was the roughest so far. I agree with you that at work is the worst. I can take a break at any time and almost did several but was able to talk myself out of it. The nicotine is out of your body, so it is now totally mental. I'm finding myself fighting with myself all day about those darn cigs. I sure hope it gets better. I too have talked to several people that have quit smoking, some for 10 years or more. They all tell me there are times when they want a cig but they know if they take that first one, it will be back to a pack or more. WE can do this I know we can. Try real hard tomorrow to tell yourself you will not smoke. I'll do the same.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
(female)

kcinokc HB User

I used the patch and it really helped. My Dr. also gave me some nicotrol inhalers to use.(They made my hands feel like they were holding a cig.) He also prescribed me Welbutrin ( its like zyban) to start taking 2 weeks before quitting and as long as I need it. Good Luck.....

Old 06-02-2007, 07:28 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

texas1107 HB User

I am only 24 hours into my quit, but, I have sister that quit 15 years ago. She explained her craving every now and then like this. It's not like it is in the beginning of your quit. You don't have that gut wrenching WANT!
It's more like a passing thought. If you think about a food of some sort and you think, that would be really good, but, you don't have it around to eat, you get over it almost as quickly as you thought of it. So, although we're all going to go through this, possibly the rest of our lives, it's not going to be the withdrawal sort of want. I was really worried about that myself until my sister told me this.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:05 AM   #5
(male)

James Byron HB User

Hey, your talking to a guy who USED to smoke packs a day...

I don't have any cravings anymore so don't worry, you'll get over them soon enough...

I will tell you why you have so much trouble at work... you may already notice this a bit as well...

The MAIN reason is the social setting, you see when you are trying to quit IT IS VERY hard when all these others are smoking around you...

If there is anyway you can avoid this you should try... I realise this could be hard seeing as its your JOB but maybe ask your boss if you could work at home for a few weeks via a computer...

It's just a suggestion

James

P.S. Are you drinking much coffee or alcohol at work? If you are STOP this too.

-------------
Here is a site I am going to set up soon called [url]http://quittingmadeeasy.com[/url]

Hopefully it might help you guys quit smoking, I have put a lot of effort into it and I will be launching it soon

Last edited by James Byron; 06-05-2007 at 02:07 AM.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #6
(female)

Key2Life HB User

OMG the work thing, I know. That was my main stumbling block in quitting...everyone I work with smokes and I could (and did) take many breaks every day.

I've quit for almost 2 months now...wish I had great advice for getting thru the work day, but I don't.

I eat a lot at my desk...healthy stuff only. I chew a lot of gum. I get up and take walks outside to enjoy the (truly) "fresh" air.

I've gone from feeling jealous of everyone outside smoking...to feeling sorry for them and hoping they'll quit too before they regret it.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:03 PM   #7
(female)

Dale333 HB User

A word of encouragement: It's a GOOD sign that you are upset with yourself. It means you really DO want to quit. Hey, if you were addicted to poison and quit taking that.. then later craved it, gave in, were upset.. was determined to not take in poison again - that would be a posative thiing. Well, nicotene is catagorized as a drug and the chemicals inhaled from tobacco are poison. Think of that anytime you get a craving. Understanding the 'craving' may help you NOT give in also. The brain is conditioned by the drug to WANT a fix at given intervals. The brain's alarm will 'go off' at regular intervals and you will automaticly want a cigarette. If you smoked every hour then the brain will 'alarm' every hour. You should tell yourself. I'll wait 10 minutes before I smoke. In 10 minutes you probably WONT get an alarm for another hour or so.

Drinking fruit juices will neutralize the nicotene in the body. Drinking water will FLUSH the nicotene from the body as nicotene is water soluable ! Dont drink coffee or take in caffene for 2 weeks and your cravings will slowly disappear as you see how much better you feel and you have greater appeciation for TASTING your food.

I am successfol now for 34 yrs. after being a chain-smoker! The smell of cigarettes make me ill. YOU CAN DO IT TOO ! Dont cut your life short. KEEP GOING !
I use to LOVE to smoke!

Last edited by Dale333; 07-08-2007 at 11:09 PM.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
(female)

velveeta HB User

I am 4 months quit and I think about cigs at times, nothing uncomfortable, just a thought. And then there are triggers. My 16 yr old aggravating me is a trigger and I know it and I am determined to not cave. Know your triggers. I thought I would miss the after dinner cigs, the coffee cigs, the after you know what cigs. Never even think of them anymore. I don't miss them at all. Hope this helps.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #9
(female)

jeanusa HB User

The one thing that really worked for me at work was water. The more I drank the better it was for me, and exercise. I really needed them. For those who say it doesn't get better I won't believe that it can only get better. Give it another try because you really sound like you want to but read alot and don't get so down, get right back up.

Lots of luck to you and keep positing

Jean

Closed Thread