It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
(male)

gatic HB User
Question Bupropian (Zyban, Welburtin), Chantix & Patch Questions!

Hi-

I currently have been taking Bupropian (Zyban, Welbutrin, etc) for a few months now. I started at 150MB twice a day and then after about 6 weeks, my shrink put me up to 200MG twice a day. The medication is being used to try to kill two birds with one stone (depression and smoking). Well it seems to help somewhat with the smoking (I'm able to keep my smoking down to about half a pack a day and I smoke outside only which I started doing in October of last year) and I think the medication has SERIOUSLY helped with my depression (especially some sexual addictions that I had). But...here are my question(s)...

#1. I know that with Bupropian (Zyban, Welbutrin, etc) that it's recommended to also combine the patch with the medication for the best success rate. I have the patch (I was prescribed it about a month ago but have not started it yet). So this still remains as a first option to complete or not to complete?

#2. Chantix...I heard amazing things about this drug when I took my smoking cessation class last fall. I have since heard the same from people I know who smoke (or who did lol), as well as reading a lot of the posts on this board about how the medication is working for them. My question regarding Chantix is:

#1. Does anyone know if I took Chantix with my current medication which is Bupropian (Zyban, Welbutrin, etc), would it help or would it be a bad combination, etc? I plan on discussing it with my shrink on Wednesday when I go into see him. The problem is that he's a shrink! He doesn't really know about Chantix so I'm worried that he won't have the answer for me that I need.

#2. If I can't take both medications, and if meaning that I want to try Chantix but that if I do, I must stop the Bupropian and start another anti-depressant drug, do you think it would be worth me stopping a anti-depression medication that seems to be working well for me, just so I have a better chance of quitting smoking? Keep in mind, I would try another anti-depressant drug (if my shrink agrees to it) but I just really want to give Chantix a try!

And finally, #3. Is there any positive effect by taking Chantix WITH the patch or does that defeat the purpose? I know that Chantix blocks the receptors in the brain that give us the good feeling when we smoke, so if that is true, then the patch (which contains nicotine) would be being blocked, which would be a waste of money, correct or not?

I just kinda want to have an idea of what I need to discuss with my doctors this week.

Thanks and I hope I haven't confused anyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2007, 05:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: Bupropian (Zyban, Welburtin), Chantix & Patch Questions!

Hi, Dayvidpriddy

First, absolutely check with your doctor, but here are a few of my thoughts on your questions.

Quote:
I know that with Bupropian (Zyban, Welbutrin, etc) that it's recommended to also combine the patch with the medication for the best success rate. I have the patch (I was prescribed it about a month ago but have not started it yet). So this still remains as a first option to complete or not to complete?
It seems to me the Wellbutrin is working for you in a number of ways. It's helped with your depression, your sexual addictions, and it's helped in decreasing your smoking. You've got the second half of the prescription in hand (patches); why not try it?

Quote:
Does anyone know if I took Chantix with my current medication which is Bupropian (Zyban, Welbutrin, etc), would it help or would it be a bad combination, etc? I plan on discussing it with my shrink on Wednesday when I go into see him. The problem is that he's a shrink! He doesn't really know about Chantix so I'm worried that he won't have the answer for me that I need.
You'll definitely want to check with a doctor (or two) on that one. If it were me, I'd check with both the shrink and a family doc or whoever you normally see for colds, flus, checkups, etc. And the shrink might surprise you. Chantix and Wellbutrin are drugs that influence and affect the brain and psychological functioning. If I were a betting woman, my money would be on the shrink to know more about Chantix than the average family doc.

Quote:
If I can't take both medications, and if meaning that I want to try Chantix but that if I do, I must stop the Bupropian and start another anti-depressant drug, do you think it would be worth me stopping a anti-depression medication that seems to be working well for me, just so I have a better chance of quitting smoking? Keep in mind, I would try another anti-depressant drug (if my shrink agrees to it) but I just really want to give Chantix a try!
Like I said above, it seems the Wellbutrin is helping a few things for you, including smoking. If it were me, I'd want to try the full regiment (patches with the med) before giving up and trying another quit aid.

Quote:
And finally, #3. Is there any positive effect by taking Chantix WITH the patch or does that defeat the purpose? I know that Chantix blocks the receptors in the brain that give us the good feeling when we smoke, so if that is true, then the patch (which contains nicotine) would be being blocked, which would be a waste of money, correct or not?
You do not want to use Chantix with NRT. Totally defeats the purpose of Chantix. My worst weeks mentally were weeks 2 and 3 on Chantix while I was still smoking (I didn't quit on day 8; I quit on day 15). Same for my hubby and my mother, too. So, yes, it would be a complete waste of money, IMO, and it does something screwy to your brain, too -- at least smoking on the full dose does.

Best of luck getting all of this worked out. The simplest solution, IMO, would be to try the patches with your current med, especially if the Wellbutrin is helping you in other areas.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
(male)

gatic HB User

Thanks Sten...I guess then I'm on the right track. But I will still talk to my shrink tomorrow to see what he thinks. You asked why I hadn't started the patch yet? LOL...because I still want to smoke, rofl!!! I know, it's horrible isn't it? But I have a few stressful things coming up (i know thats the typical excuse) and I just don't want to start that next step until a few things are over with. Like they say, there is never a perfect time to quit but you want to pick a time that you feel comfortable with, and that is what I'm doing. I mean the progress that I have made since October of last year (going from 2 plus packs a day, to about a half a pack a day...in a weeks time mind you) is pretty darn significant if you ask me!

Anyways thanks and I will let you know what my shrink says tomorrow. Maybe he will know about Chantix.

Thanks!

Old 06-13-2007, 05:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I totally understand wanting to wait. I did the same thing, waited until we were finished with our spring vacation and work slows down in summer.

And you have made great strides with decreasing how much you smoke! That's huge!

Hope you're able to find out more info about your questions at the doc's office

Old 06-13-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
(male)

gatic HB User

Well I did ask the same questions above to my smoking cessation instructor that I had, I called her on the phone and she called me back and left my answers on my voice mail. She said you can't take Chantix and Burpropian together and that using the patch while taking Chantix would be pointless, while it wouldn't hurt you, it wouldn't benefit you either (because of how the drug works...blocking the nicotine receptors in the brain from the nicotine effects and making you feel gross when you light up). I'm still going to talk about it with my shrink today (actually I'm getting ready to jet now for my 3:30 appointment). I'll let you know what he says.

Thanks.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
(male)

gatic HB User

Well I talked with my shrink today and he said that what my smoking cessation instructor said (regarding not taking Chantix and Welbutrin together) is NOT true! He said the FDA did a study on about 100 people taking both drugs together (NO PATCH) only Welbutrin and Chantix and that they had no bad reactions and were successfull at quitting (well most were).

So he agreed to try me on it, he told me to keep the patches waiting in case this doesn't work but he wants to see how I do for a month or so. So in a sense, I'm kinda being a tester for this but in another sense, I'm not.

I'm also going to talk with my pharmacist and see what she thinks as well before telling her to fill the RX.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
Thanks Sten...I guess then I'm on the right track. But I will still talk to my shrink tomorrow to see what he thinks. You asked why I hadn't started the patch yet? LOL...because I still want to smoke, rofl!!! I know, it's horrible isn't it? But I have a few stressful things coming up (i know thats the typical excuse) and I just don't want to start that next step until a few things are over with. Like they say, there is never a perfect time to quit but you want to pick a time that you feel comfortable with, and that is what I'm doing. I mean the progress that I have made since October of last year (going from 2 plus packs a day, to about a half a pack a day...in a weeks time mind you) is pretty darn significant if you ask me!

Anyways thanks and I will let you know what my shrink says tomorrow. Maybe he will know about Chantix.

Thanks!

Hi Dayvid...

Good job,...cutting down so much...that just shows how much you are willing to quit for good. Just wanted to say that I too agree with StenoLady...I too quit w/ the Wellbutrin and the patch, and the patch does work very very well. I think anything works pretty well when we really, REALLY are ready to quit and we are so determined to quit. I tried quitting 5 x with classes and gum, [when it 1st came out], and then later tried the patches, [when they 1st came out], and actually tried several times w/ the patches, and the gum, over and over again,...but until I was 100% determined to do it no matter what it took...then was I able to quit for once and for all. In 3 more months it will be 4 years since I quit...and sometimes I can hardly believe it, myself...and my friends say they still can't believe it, as I was such a big smokin' fool.

Anyway, the patches work great, but later I started chewing the gum, [because my hubby was chewing it and leaving it lying around], and I tried one and then got very, very hooked on that stuff. (I think my DH and I hold the record for the longest time on NRT! LOL...but at least we finally QUIT!)

Whatever you end up trying/using, I wish you the very best!!

And to StenoLady, [if you read this far down], I am just so curious....about what you said about the Chantix messing with your head? Could you please let us all know what you mean by that? I am so curious about that drug....it seems to be working well for a lot of people, but I have heard a few people say they couldn't take it at all, as they wigged out when they did... I have recommended it to a few friends and relatives... but I am curious about all of the side effects...good and bad. (and congratulations to YOU on your success in quitting!....that's super!)

Deda

Last edited by Deda; 06-14-2007 at 01:52 AM.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, Deda

Wow ... almost four years! Major congratulations to you!!!

What I meant was from my experience, as my hubby was on Chantix for a few weeks and he suffered major depression, fits of rage and what he terms as "a dark place" in his head. He couldn't tolerate the med at all, and I've posted a bit about his experience on the boards. I don't want you to mistake his reaction to mine.

My experience wasn't like that at all, but that week or two you're smoking AND taking the Chantix was just mentally "off" for me. I'm sure a good chunk of it was knowing it would be a matter of only days before I would smoke my last cig, apprehension, anxiety, etc., but I think the Chantix added to that because where I should have been enjoying my last smokes, a last hoorah, so to speak, my brain just couldn't get there. Other than something hot going into my lungs and taking a drag off something, there was really no satisfaction at all from smoking.

I really took notice of it because once I actually did put down the smokes, I really felt a lot better mentally.

Congratulations again on such a fantastic accomplishment!

Old 06-14-2007, 06:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

I agree that you have to really want to quit in order for any method to work. There is no magic pill that will take it all away. You still have to make the effort. And there will be effort. Godbless

Old 06-14-2007, 11:23 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StenoLady1 View Post
Hi, Deda

Wow ... almost four years! Major congratulations to you!!!

What I meant was from my experience,......

Wow...thank you, StenoLady! That's an interesting story, and yeah,...quitting smoking is a pretty major head trip, anyway. I went through quite a bit of depression that 1st year...but I had also just been diagnosed w/ a thyroid problem/disease....so it could've been coming from that as well. (I think it was more the giving up my cigs tho, [for good], as I had to just get "used" to living without them, which I eventually did, thankfully--I absolutely hate the smell of it now, and never crave them now, whatsoever...it's been years that I have)

I can see what a disappointment that would be, as you said,...not getting to enjoy those last few smokes. I pretty much decided THAT morning that I would quit THAT day...although I had been [trying] to mentally work up to it for months,... really years! But I did savor those last few ciggies, before going out into my backyard to "douse" the rest of my last pack w/ the hose.... (I coulda cried!) Now though I don't feel like I missed out on anything, and just really regret that I even smoked all of those years....I often think..."What an idiot".

My hubby quit too, and it was only because he [finally] quit that *I* was finally able to quit also. He tried to fake me out for many, many years, "pretending" to quit, when I would quit....he'd even take the classes, chew the gum and everything! Then I'd be driving on the base [where we lived], and I "catch him smoking"...LOL! Back to the cigarettes I'd go... Ugh...what a nightmare...we went on like that for 30 years! Major drug addiction!

That's too bad that the Chantix didn't work for your hubby, but I'm glad to hear that he was able to eventually quit too. What did he end up using? I guess because we all have a different body chemistry and we all react uniquely to these different drugs....I've even seen people on here who's bodies freaked out from the patches! Glad you both found what worked magic for you..congratulations again, and whatever you do, please don't ever smoke again. It just gets better and better as time goes by.

Congratulations to the both of you...that is such great news!

Have a great NON smoking day/life!

Deda

Last edited by Deda; 06-14-2007 at 11:33 AM.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:41 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian100 View Post
I agree that you have to really want to quit in order for any method to work. There is no magic pill that will take it all away. You still have to make the effort. And there will be effort. Godbless

Hi Marian!

Oh girl...you got THAT right!!

! It took me a long time to figure that one out..LOL... I used to 'wonder why' those patches, and gum and everything wasn't working??? Duh! LOL I [FINALLY]figured out that *I* was the one who really had to do the hard work "stuff",... the patch, the gum... whattever was only going to aide me in quitting...so I wouldn't go totally bonkers, I think.

I am so grateful though for these aids, [NRT] because truthfully, I don't think I could've ever quit w/o them. I tried going "cold turkey" a few times, and I'd really go nuts...I just couldn't do it, and I'd fail by late the night of the day I'd quit...totally bonkers...felt like I could've killed my own family members...or myself. Geez Louise,...what a horrible addiction!

Best of luck to you too, Marian, and have a great day!

Deda

Closed Thread