It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 05:20 AM   #1
(female)

amanda70 HB User
Talking hello everyone, day 9 and looking for quit friends

Hello, my name is Amanda and I am looking to find some support people (and people I can help support) in this fantastic endeavour of ours to quit smoking. I am 36 and have been smoking for 19 years approx 1 pack per day. In the past 3 years I have been coming down with bronchitis a few times every year and this year I got it early on! (I am in Australia so our winter has only just started) After suffering for 3 weeks, feeling like my chest was going to expode (and still smoking mind you!) I have decided to give this quit the best go ever! I also have developed panic disorder in the last 6 months and got really worried about the health effects of smoking to the point that I was feeling panicky with the symptoms of smoking (ie. heavy, sore chest) every night.

Well 9 days ago I put on my patch (we don't have Chantix here in Oz and I am too scared of side effects of Zyban) and away I went...........
Amazingly, my anxiety has diminished significantly which is a massive plus to my resolve in keeping this quit. I believe it is something to do with the nicotine being a stimulant. Also, for the first time ever (and I have quit SO many times before! LOL) I have quit while my husband is still smoking and been ok with it. Actually I didn't tell him I was going to quit and just left my cigarettes sitting outside at my smoking spot. For the first three days I would walk past them when I was leaving or entering the house and feel so much stronger that they were there and I didn't need them. In the end hubby smoked them! LOL

Anyway I feel much stronger this time than I have before, I do get difficult times, we all do, but this time I am trying to think to myself that this is MY choice. I refuse to feel hard done by. Hubby is smoking, I could so easily take off my patch and have one but why? I chose this, I don't want to smoke again and what a waste of the last 9 days if I did. I LOVE not being so anxious anymore and my confidence could really do with a huge boost at this stage after the past six months living with panic disorder.

So anyone out there thinking of quitting and worried about the withdrawals, if you really want to do it then do it and don't be scared. I really believe that most of the battle is in your mind set and how you approach the quit in your mind.

Thanks for reading my story so far, I hope I keep on keeping on and would love to meet you all.

cheers
Amanda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2007, 06:38 AM   #2
(female)

anewme HB User
Re: hello everyone, day 9 and looking for quit friends

Hi Amanda, 9 days is Awesome!! Keep it up! I agree that I think the hardest part of the battle is in your own mind. This Thursday will be a month smoke free for me! I still can't believe it. I took chantix and it is truly awesome. I quit smoking after 2 weeks on it. I also quit taking the chantix the next week after only 3 weeks on it. But if I truly did not want to quit, it would not have worked. I added up how much money I have saved. this thursday will be $100.00. It is awesome when you start thinking of yourself as a nonsmoker too. I don't have to stop what I am doing to smoke And you start thinking how bad that cigarettes stink! and you can smell them on other people like never before. that took about 3 weeks. I am so happy that I don't smoike anymore. there are times that the "habit" part says "you should have a cigarette" but I always say no. In my purse where my cigarette used to be I now have gum. Congrats on you success and keep on keeping on

Old 06-12-2007, 06:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Hi, Amanda

Good for you on day 9!!! And doing it while your hubby is still smoking takes enormous willpower. Major hat's off to you

Smoke-free 20 days here. Am 35, have smoked since I was 14, have been a 2-plus-pack-a-day smoker for about the last five years. Before that, I was easily smoking a pack to a half-pack a day.

I, too, got tired of the bronchitis and every other "itis" smokers get from their lungs up. I'm self-employed, uninsured, and the last smoking-related cold/bronchitis/pharyngitis/sinusitis I caught in February ended up costing me around $3,000 between doctor visits, medicines, resulting yeast infection and all the work I had to turn down because I was so sick. I've got a few of these smoking "tickers" on my computer to show how much life and $$$ saved every day by not smoking, but they need to take into account all the money saved with excessive colds and bronchitis, too!

Keep up the great work. It definitely gets easier with every passing day!!!

Old 06-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #4
(male)

sobah HB User

Hey Amanda, day 9 for me also !!! Crazy nuts the first few days !!! Today, right now, 1:25 PM Tuesday , I feel GOOD !!! Right now I feel good.....and thats a miracle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I'm on my knees every morning i ask God to keep me away from a drink, a drug, and now a butt too !! Then I thank him at night when I'm successful !!!!!!! Thats my story and I'm stickin to it !!!

Old 06-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Today is one year for me I did it cold turkey so it can be done you're gonna get incredible support here just keep up the good work and keep coming back here.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
(male)

narccop HB User

hello amanda..we seem to have alot in common. I am 38 been smoking since i was 20 yrs old. smoked on average pack a day. About 2 yrs ago began to have panic attacks. Chest pains..etc, been to doctor severial times and was assured by the doc my heart was fine. But like you i started worrying about my health. So for the past 2 yrs i have tried quitting smoking on severial occasions but would go back to smoking. My g/f smokes, i have co workers that smoke and it makes it tough to quit. But today is the 6th day for me smoke free and i am determined to continue this time and for some reason i really believe i will make it. So keep fighting and keep us posted.....

Old 06-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #7
(female)

tammys HB User

Amanda, I have not had a cigarette since May 21, 2007. That is the day I had a triple bypass at the age of 43 with no family history of heart disease. I had surgery and then developed a lung infection that is a constant reminder of the years that I abused my body with cigarettes. I have not craved smoking. I have not been bothered that other people are smoking around me. My son had my house completely cleaned out of ashtrays ,lighters and cigarettes when I come home from the hospital. I don't want to lecture....I had lectures for years about smoking and they only made me want one more. What I want to do is offer you encouragement....do your best to not give in to the urge to smoke. Your health is worth alot more than a few minutes of gratification from a cigarette. Everytime I think about a cigarette, I just take a deep breath in and feel the sharp stabbing pain that is in my right lung where my lung is damaged from the infection. Good Luck with the not smoking. I wish you and everyone that is trying to quit the best of luck!!! I wish I had quit years ago. I did more damage to my lungs than will ever be able to repair. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Tammy

Old 06-21-2007, 05:37 AM   #8
(female)

amanda70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by narccop View Post
hello amanda..we seem to have alot in common. I am 38 been smoking since i was 20 yrs old. smoked on average pack a day. About 2 yrs ago began to have panic attacks. Chest pains..etc, been to doctor severial times and was assured by the doc my heart was fine. But like you i started worrying about my health. So for the past 2 yrs i have tried quitting smoking on severial occasions but would go back to smoking. My g/f smokes, i have co workers that smoke and it makes it tough to quit. But today is the 6th day for me smoke free and i am determined to continue this time and for some reason i really believe i will make it. So keep fighting and keep us posted.....
Hi Narccop, we do have a lot in common, only problem is I busted again! and have smoked for the past week. I am planning on rejoining this group on Monday so hope to catch up then. Congrats on your quit, awesome job!
Amanda

Old 06-21-2007, 05:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobah View Post
Hey Amanda, day 9 for me also !!! Crazy nuts the first few days !!! Today, right now, 1:25 PM Tuesday , I feel GOOD !!! Right now I feel good.....and thats a miracle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I'm on my knees every morning i ask God to keep me away from a drink, a drug, and now a butt too !! Then I thank him at night when I'm successful !!!!!!! Thats my story and I'm stickin to it !!!
Hey Sobah!! Way to go!!! I'm in recovery 23 years from drink, 6 years caffeine, and this time "smober" from the butts 54 days. Have you had any trouble with anxiety or depression during any of your recoveries? Hopeto--

Old 06-25-2007, 09:04 AM   #10
(male)

bzdz1128 HB User

Hello everyone, I am so glad I found this finally- almost 4 months for me. I'm still on Chantix-its a miracle. I smoked or 33 years and at least 1 and a half packs day. Still struggling, but have not smoked one since my quit date of March 13. The side effects are still rough for me. Whenever I want a cigartette it helps me when I think of having to go through the quitting process again. I could not do it. Good luck everyone. Feel free to ask for tips! Bob

Old 06-25-2007, 09:21 AM   #11
(female)

MommaBryant HB User

Congrats on the 4 months. That's wonderful. I had a real scare on Chantix so quit after only 5 weeks on it. I now don't know if it was the Chantix or not, but afraid to go back on it and now it's a real battle to not burn one. Will be one month tomorrow for me if I hold out. I keep telling myself too that I don't want to start this quitting process all over again, but for me it's not much easier now than in the beginning. You keep it up, you're doing great!

Old 06-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #12
(male)

bzdz1128 HB User

Hi Momma Bryant- This may sound crazy-but what really helped me was Jolly Rancher candies about once every 2 hours and grapes(not at the same time).I guess it is the tartness. Also when I wanted to light up, I would sometimes walk around the block. I wish you the best of luck. I still want one today, but try to be strong.
Bob

Last edited by bzdz1128; 06-25-2007 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-26-2007, 07:39 AM   #13
(female)

velveeta HB User

Hey all! Been reading all the posts on this thread and am amazed that one thought keeps us strong is the desire to not repeat the quit process again. That right there is my worst nightmare. I will not let those cigs steal my time away from me and make me attemt a quit again. That my friends was the hardest part for me. I thought I was doomed to smoke forever. Right now I feel powerful. Bob you and I share the same quit day March 13th was my first whole day without a cig.!! You all keep up the great jobs on your quits.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:00 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

way to go amanda. thats wonderful

Old 06-27-2007, 10:22 AM   #15
(male)

daddymatt HB User

GO AMANDA!!!!!
I am 7 days quit as of today. I will join the long line of people saying "Great Job", and write if you need support. I post frequently under the "Chantix" thread about my experiences.
Keep up the great work.

Closed Thread