It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #1
(male)

sangercat HB User
week 7 on CHANIX not good

well I have not smoked in 5 weeks, that is good BUT over the last few weeks I have been getting mood swings, these have gone from being irritated with little things to rage and anger, borderline violent. I am a pretty laid back person and over the last few weeks it is getting worse and worse, almost daily. I know when I am in this "mode" but at the time really could not care less. then light the light switch is turned off, everything is fine again. I have become withdrawn from friends because I never know who I am going to get into it with next over something little. I can not believe my girlfriend has not split yet she has had a REALLY rough few weeks. She just walks away and asks who I am. This is not me. I went back to the DR again today and was told she hear of this but has not seen it first hand and to stop the meds as of now. I just want to know if anyone else has been though this. This is really messing up things in my life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2007, 05:45 AM   #2
(male)

sobah HB User
Re: week 7 on CHANIX not good

I'm on day 10 and ager is an issue with me also. NOT GOOD !!! I wont smoke no matter what !!! I just keep apologizing !! My wife knew I'd be a nutcase for a little while. Just hang in there !!! When you want to lash out at someone, just try to wait 10 seconds before you say anything. After 10 seconds your thoughts might change. Mine do. It helps, just practice it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2007, 06:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

DH had a real problem at about week 4 on the med, about two weeks after being quit. Much the same complaints, too, violent, rage, irritated. He said it was just a very "dark" place in his head he's never been to before. He's not a violent guy at all, a shy and quiet artist, very "sweet." This was extremely unlike him.

He stopped the Chantix cold turkey when he finished that first month, and it took a while for things to go back to any kind of normalcy. Now he wonders if it was the med or just a side effect of quitting.

Hope things calm down a bit for you.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:27 AM   #4
(female)

anewme HB User

Why are you still taking chantix. Everybody that I know who tried chantix quit ciggies and chantix within a month. I quit taking it on week 3 because I was having alot of muscle pain and stiffness. not sure if chantix was the cause but I wasn't taking any chances. still not smoking either. I think that you can quit the chantix and will probably return to normal. good luck

Last edited by anewme; 06-13-2007 at 08:41 AM.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
(male)

sangercat HB User

I was told to take it for 12 weeks. I stopped taking it yesterday and had a really bad outbrust again tonight. have said some of the most heartless hatefull things to those I love, and at the times it is happening I couls not care less about it.... I hope whatever this crap has shortcircuted is fixed soon before I loose it all

Old 06-13-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
(male)

gatic HB User

Yes, you people need to stop self prescribing medications for you lol. The course for Chantix is 12 WEEKS and then another 12 WEEKS if you and your doctor feel you need it. You don't stop taking it after 3 weeks just because you feel you have control over not smoking anymore, that will land you right back up with a cig hanging out of your mouth people!

But I must say, I am surprised by what the OP said here. I know a lot of people who have taken Chantix and they all swear it's the "miracle drug" the world has been waiting for. But I guess a small percentage of people do not agree?

Old 06-14-2007, 06:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
Yes, you people need to stop self prescribing medications for you lol. The course for Chantix is 12 WEEKS and then another 12 WEEKS if you and your doctor feel you need it. You don't stop taking it after 3 weeks just because you feel you have control over not smoking anymore, that will land you right back up with a cig hanging out of your mouth people!

But I must say, I am surprised by what the OP said here. I know a lot of people who have taken Chantix and they all swear it's the "miracle drug" the world has been waiting for. But I guess a small percentage of people do not agree?
I think it's being touted as a "miracle drug" because it really does make you not want a smoke. It makes them taste horrible, makes you nauseous smoking one or being around one, but, unfortunately, like all drugs, there are side effects. Some are tolerable; some aren't. Some are tolerable with adjusting your dosage. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the dosage of Chantix is different in a year anyway. So many people can't tolerate a full milligram, either because of nausea, constipation, or insomnia. Splitting the pills in half and taking them more frequently really seems to cure this.

My hubby could not tolerate the med at all, Dave. He took it for three weeks and was contemplating suicide on it, when he wasn't in a fit of rage. I've known the guy for 19 years. He's about as nice of a guy as they come. Like the posters above me, it wasn't a situation of, "Well, I haven't smoked in a week or so; I don't need the med." It was more, "I can't take the med at all anymore, unless I want to find myself in a padded room or jail cell. It's helped me through the hardest part, the first 72 hours. I hope and pray I can be strong enough to stay quit for the rest of my years."

For me, the joint pain was debilitating on a full dose. I'm self-employed. I can't pay for the Chantix if I can't get out of bed and work! If splitting up my dosages make the joint pain tolerable, you can bet that's what I'm going to do. Actually, I find my cravings were much, much less and much less intense by splitting the pills. I also didn't wake up wanting a smoke when I was splitting the pills and taking a half right at bedtime. Win-win situation there.

Lastly, my radar is up on this one. Why isn't this med being advertised on tv? Why isn't Pfizer making public claims about this drug on tv? How come you can ask three different health professionals about this drug, i.e., side effects, dosage recommendations, tolerability, and get three different answers? Look at your own situation over the past couple days even. You have a very specific question, and you are being given several different answers. Have you called Pfizer's 1-800 number yet with a question? I have. Talk about being an obvious guinea pig. I for one do not want to be on a pill like this one second longer than I have to.

I believe the three to six months is being used because (a) that's the length of time for the studies done by Pfizer; and (b) three to six months is the time most ex-smokers are apt to fall off the wagon and return to smoking.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:32 AM   #8
(female)

anewme HB User

The problem is the doctor doesn't have a clue about chantix. I say listen to your body. also I think that if you really want to quit all you need the medicine for is to get the nicotine out of your body more comfortably. that would be a couple of weeks.
I feel so much better not smoking and not taking the chantix. I think if I had taken chantix for 12 weeks I might not be able to walk.
I know several people who took it less than a month including me. I am still smokefree after a month. two friends are still smokefree for 8 months (they split the first month) two thers were encouraged by that and are smokefree for 5 months same thing they split a script. I think they say you need it that long so (surprise) you keep buying it.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:42 AM   #9
(female)

marissamm HB User

i took chantix for 2 weeks ,and stopped for the same reasons anger and rage stomach problems, i am still not smoking and its been 9 weeks, i just hope in a year or so that phizer doesn't come back with a warning of some kind.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:45 PM   #10
(female)

MrsAKAK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marissamm View Post
i took chantix for 2 weeks ,and stopped for the same reasons anger and rage stomach problems, i am still not smoking and its been 9 weeks, i just hope in a year or so that phizer doesn't come back with a warning of some kind.

Hello everyone,
Newbie here...My husband was on Chantix and finished it. Totaly quit smoking, the only problem was that from day one his moods have changed. He was always angry. After he finished he started feeling tired all the time. His moods got worse. It's almost as if he has no emotions at all now. It's affecting our kids and myself. Well he finaly went to the doctors 2 weeks ago and they did blood work. We found out that a normal TSH level is like 4.0, his is 136.5 (WOW) He is now on meds for 6 weeks. I think who ever has the mood swings and feels tired even stiffness in the muscales, please get the blood work done. My husband has a thyroid disease possibly from the Chantix.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:11 AM   #11
(female)

mamabugto2 HB User

Hi. New here as well. I am sorry for those who have had trouble on Chantix. I only took it for two weeks, then started smoking again. I took it again for a couple days when I was ready to quit again, as was my husband this time. I have been smoke free for nearly two weeks and do not even want to smoke. I am one who looks at chantix as a miracle drug in a way. It makes you feel like it is possible to quit. I did not experience side effects that I related to the drug though, other than very vivid, strange dreams.

I only hope that ppl who read this are not automatically disuaded by this info. Everyone reacts differently to every drug. Many of the side effects listed above are side effects of nicotene withdrawal, which was much more serious than I ever imagined. the chantix helps to break the desire, the addiction, it does not so much help diminish the effects of withdrawal. those symptoms, as with withdrawal to most substances, has to be dealt with.

Of course if you are experiencing undesirable side effectss you should talk to your doctor, weigh the benefits of the drug to the risks of smoking. and vice versa.

sorry so long! thanks! and best wishes to all who are quitting!!! My four year old cousing asked my husband and I to stop cigaretting because she loves us! It helps to remember loved ones and the future, while "cigaretting" we may have only a very dim future in hospital beds struggling to breath due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Every long term smoker has or will have it. I have smoked for 20 years, at age 31, and was examined for COPD recently.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:02 AM   #12
(female)

velveeta HB User

My personal experience with Chantix was not too bad. Did not think it would work. I was surprised. It afforded me a calmer state of mind so that I could give up the smokes and not go thru those creepy withdrawal symtoms. To my surprise it was almost effortless and I feel like a new person for sure. Did not complete the whole program but am still quit. I think what keeps me quit is not wanting to attempt a quit in the future. I'm done!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #13
(female)

denny1 HB User

i am thinking on starting chantix but some of these threads worry me a little but the thing that i noticed is that the anger issue seems to be happening to the men are there any women with these same side effects or do we just get depressed as i have noticed that trend. would love to hear from anyone thanks

Old 09-07-2007, 11:32 AM   #14
(male)

gdrumm HB User

Newbie here. I was taking Chantix for about 3 weeks, I stopped on Tuesday this week. I was a little snappy to those around me, and found myself getting irritated more quickly, but that happened to me last time I quit. So, I'm now into week 4 with no smokes and I'm fine. The cravings are getting weaker, and I find myself thinking less and less about cigs.

So, I'll keep everyone posted on the progress WITHOUT the Chantix. But so far so good.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:03 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

i never got anger problems, depression probably. i had to force myself to do the little things, not lie in bed all day watching tv and snoozing, not wanting to go out of the house, or socialize with anyone etc.
it really upsets me thinking that not smoking would have those effects on me!
best of luck to you....bevann

Closed Thread