It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2007, 02:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User
need help to quit

i had another thread telling about my script for chantix. now that hubby and i have been on it since 6/11, help is really needed.
we are both smoking as much, and don't feel any urge to quit. we have not set a quit date yet, which we need to do. has everyone set a quit date for 2 wks on the med? maybe we are waiting for the med to kick in and not trying on our own?
we are 57 & 63 and both been smoking since we were 15! i have many health problems, am disabled body wise, copd was diagnosed about 12 yrs ago. hubby has had awful cough for yrs. we really are in desperate need for help to quit.

please! to all other chantix users, we are desperate for help, ideas, etc.

thankyou all!

bevann

Old 06-17-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHARON1952 HB UserSHARON1952 HB User
Re: need help to quit

i did not set a date i ran out of gigs every night so i did not have any in the house but i sent to the shop for them 2 days in a row as soon as i woke up the 3rd day i gave it a try i had patches and inhaler in the house sowe both gave it a try i found that when we stopped together it made it a bit easier i am hoping to stop for good but right now i am taking it a day at a time i will be one month on the 21st hope this helps also my dad gave up at 65 with no aids

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2007, 06:55 AM   #3
(female)

jaredez HB User

Hi,
I planned to quit on day eight, like recommended, but on day seven, I just decided to quit. I got up and smoked like usual, but when I left for work, I decided not to light one up. I just kept delaying my next cig until I realized it had been about 4 hours since I had one. I thought I might as well keep going. I haven't had one since and it's been 17 days now. Chantix made the "panic" go away for me. I really didn't cut down much leading up to my quit day and I still had nicotine fits for several days after I quit.

I had tried to quit several times and never got even half this far. Chantix really helped me a lot.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

I didn't quit on day 8, and neither did my hubby and my mother. We were, however, able to decrease a good bit from the time we started until we quit. DH quit on day 14, I quit on day 15, and my mom quit around day 23 or 25.

My mom had the hardest time. Sounds very similar to what you and your DH are going through. She kept "waiting" for the med to kick in, and it just didn't seem to while she was still smoking.

At some pretty firm insistence from her daughter and son-in-law , she finally picked a day and stopped. She did agree that once you put the smokes down, Chantix REALLY kicks in. We all agreed that smoking on the full dosage of Chantix is the worst. We felt guilty, lost, angry, irritable -- basically all the withdrawal symptoms you'd associate with quitting. I think it's because you really are going through a type of withdrawal then. Your brains aren't getting satisfaction from smoking while on Chantix and I think that can really screw with the mind.

Try decreasing your smokes just a bit. Change your routine a little where you would normally have a smoke. Every time you reach for a cigarette, give yourself five minutes before you actually light one up. Drink a glass of fresh water, chew some gum, breathe deep, something for those five minutes to get your mind off having a smoke. You might surprise yourself and find that after the five minutes, you don't even really need it. Get rid of ashtrays except for one. Brush your teeth lots so you have a "taste" of what it will be like to always have a fresh mouth. These are some things we did our last week of smoking to help decrease our cigarettes and prepare us.

I've been on Chantix since 5/7 and smoke-free since 5/22. I was an extremely heavy smoker, 2 1/2 packs to 3 packs per day for 20 years. I can honestly say that Chantix is a HUGE help, but you've got to do some work, too. I'd liken it to rowing a boat. Chantix takes ahold of one oar, but you've got to take the other one.

You both can do it. Life on the other side is wonderful. It's really worth it

Last edited by StenoLady1; 06-17-2007 at 07:54 AM.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

thankyou for your help. we have just been waiting for the cigs to start tasting lousy, making us not want one. we have'nt been putting any effort in quiting but now i know better. we are going to try to get a better handle on this, starting today!

bevann

Closed Thread